Post-Game Talk: Tue., Oct. 29, 2013|Ducks 3 at Flyers 2

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not a big Corsi guy, but Coburn was a -17 last night.

I think Corsi is shots taken (missed or hit the net) vs shots given up (missed or hit the net)

So basically Coburn allowed 31 shots to go through him and only created 14. He's done, half of this D is garbage. Timonen - trade for anything, Coburn - trade for anything. Mesz - waive him

I'd rebuild this D with Gross/Streit/Schenn/Gus. Then figure out the other two. I don't give a **** if you have no #1s or #2s, at least those guys know their roles and play them well. Everybody else is just piss water

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

I think Corsi is shots taken (missed or hit the net) vs shots given up (missed or hit the net)

So basically Coburn allowed 31 shots to go through him and only created 14. He's done, half of this D is garbage. Timonen - trade for anything, Coburn - trade for anything. Mesz - waive him

I'd rebuild this D with Gross/Streit/Schenn/Gus. Then figure out the other two. I don't give a **** if you have no #1s or #2s, at least those guys know their roles and play them well. Everybody else is just piss water

You realize that offense or lack thereof is what is causing all this mess?
The forwards stop skating and retreat back towards their own zone later in the game... the defense is not exactly top of the league but not that bad either.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The forwards stop skating and retreat back towards their own zone later in the game... the defense is not exactly top of the league but not that bad either.

Gross/Coburn were the worst last night, so this shut down pair didn't seem to do anything its name were come close too.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Had a lot of positive things to say, then my browser messed up.

If I were GM:
First thing would be to lock Mason up for 2-3 years.

Kimmo wont be moved until the deadline. Until then, shelter his minutes and keep him healthy so he has value. Move Coburn. If we can get a 7th for Mesz, great. Either way, I wouldn't have any of those players back next year, unless Kimmo wants an office job.

I'd keep Harts as a 2/3 LW. We can get more assets for Simmonds.

If he can't perform, move Voracek if we can make out like bandits on a trade

Next Season:
Read - G - Vinny
Rafl- Schenn - Cousins/Akeson
Harts - Laughton - McGinn
Rinaldo-Couts-Talbot
Hall

Alt-Gus
Schenn- Morin
Haag - Streit
Grossman

Mason
Stolarz

I wouldn't expect much, other than for the rookies to gain experience. I'd still expect to compete though. And it isn't really a tear down/rebuild other than moving Voracek and Simmonds.

I'm glad you arent GM

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

I'm not buying into that stat, I thought Coburn was the best defenseman yesterday for Flyers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
So when do the forwards start getting held accountable for not scoring? I see a lot of people that are quick to crucify the defense, GM, and coach, but why not the forwards? They are easily the biggest reason why this team is 3-8 right now. If this team had any finish last night, the game is 3-1 or 4-1 heading into the third period.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm pissed off, don't mind me. I'm too the point where i'd trade half the god damn team now. I hate reading that they quit or stopped playing or whatever terms the writers want to use. If Anaheim was just flat out better, ok, but the hear that they just stopped skating is just piss poor excuse now.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm pissed off, don't mind me. I'm too the point where i'd trade half the god damn team now. I hate reading that they quit or stopped playing or whatever terms the writers want to use. If Anaheim was just flat out better, ok, but the hear that they just stopped skating is just piss poor excuse now.

Some one needs to be traded because the forwards are not getting the message about moving their feet for 60 minutes. B. Schenn should be a goner. I would dump Hartnell too but nobody is taking that contract. Simmonds might actually bring a nice return.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
I won't try to be super negative as there is plenty of that in this thread already. The first was pretty good, I was watching and thinking to myself that things were going pretty good, they were winning battles and making passes. It came completely unraveled in the final two periods. They should have started playing the circus music in the final period when we were running around in our own end. Guys were lost, back on their heels, and second guessing where they should cover. It was almost comical, if you were a fan of another team.

One thing that has always killed me about the Flyers in their own end, and I watch a lot of other games and look for this tendency just to prove whether I am crazy or not. It is the fire it around the boards when they are in trouble. If you can't make it out one side, turn around and rip it around the boards. 9 out of 10 times the winger is not there and the dman keeps it in. This is a tactic my youth hockey teams would use when they were panicking in their own end. It doesn't work. They need to start making direct passes or at the very least, get the puck up in the air to clear when in trouble.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Another thing...everyone saying get rid of Simmonds....when he is on, he is EXACTLY what this team is missing on offense and what we need more of...him and Hartnell.

We are making it way to easy on other teams Goalies and its got to end, Simmonds and Hartnell need to be disruptive, get in front of the goalie and run guys after every play. Make them watch tape on the way they played two seasons ago.

I said it with Read and I'll say it for Simmonds, Dont trade him but do something to let him know he needs to get his **** in gear and get back to playing Wayne Simmonds Hockey.

If your benching people then Bench Simmonds or Hartnell. Gus deserves a spot on this team.

I would rather see Gus on the 4th line the Roeshill

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Lack of real offensive ability from the blueline contributes to this. Streit has offensive skills. Timonen should, but has performed so badly that he has not contributed any of them.

Then you have the two guys you don't expect it from - Schenn and Grossmann.

That leaves the problem childs Coburn and Mez. Of course, Gus was contributing and has legitimate offensive instincts, but he was unexplicably removed from the lineup

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Lack of real offensive ability from the blueline contributes to this. Streit has offensive skills. Timonen should, but has performed so badly that he has not contributed any of them.

That leaves the problem childs Coburn and Mez. Of course, Gus was contributing and has legitimate offensive instincts, but he was unexplicably removed from the lineup

I'm thinking Gus is back in. Mesz was a -1, played almost no PP time and didn't sound like he contributed much.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Let the record show :)laugh:) that the only booing I heard tonight was during the final few minutes and as the final seconds ticked off the clock.

Also, I was surprised to see hundreds of people leave right after the Ducks scored their third goal. I mean, there was still four minutes left. Do what you like, but geez, don't people know anything can happen?

Leaving early is like buying a lottery ticket, you know you won't win, but there is a slim chance. The people know the game is over but there is the chance when they get home their team tied it and won in OT and are now pleasantly surprised but a little bummed they missed it.
I use this theory in shoot outs, I have only watched one. I assume we lost and wait until the morning to see what happened, I hate shoot outs and refuse to watch them.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Leaving early is like buying a lottery ticket, you know you won't win, but there is a slim chance. The people know the game is over but there is the chance when they get home their team tied it and won in OT and are now pleasantly surprised but a little bummed they missed it.
I use this theory in shoot outs, I have only watched one. I assume we lost and wait until the morning to see what happened, I hate shoot outs and refuse to watch them.

I don't like shootouts either, but with Mason as the goalie instead of Bryz, I have a little more hope. Now, if they could only get to the shootout and get at least one point. :help:

On a positive note, having Vinny on the first PP unit is great.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

This guy has fallen off a cliff: 0 points in 11 games are just brutal!

He has gone from All-star to #5 on a weak team within a year and he is actually healthy as far as we know.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The worst part is, he has very little trade value now. It was debated that worst case scenario that if the Flyers were out of it, they could add a pick or two by moving Timonen to a contender. Nobody wants him now and especially @ 6M cap hit.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I didn't see the game last night, but I really have to wonder why any lineup changes would have been made considering we had our first two game win streak going and since Gus was one of the top 3 or 4 defenseman so far this season. Makes absolutely no sense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
I don't like shootouts either, but with Mason as the goalie instead of Bryz, I have a little more hope. Now, if they could only get to the shootout and get at least one point. :help:

On a positive note, having Vinny on the first PP unit is great.

Hopefully one day they get rid of the shoot out and teams that deserve only one point get only one point.

Yes Vinny looks good on the PP and hopefully it starts producing more, Vinny on the power play the reason I thought Giroux would get 84 points this year, time will tell.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Ever since the Devils series two years ago, it has become frighteningly easy to tell when the game is already over (sometimes as early as the second period).

The ducks taking the lead was one of these times.

^^^exactly^^^..

the comeback from behind days are over..

seeems like forever since this team could easily come bak from a multi-goal deficit..

now it seems like they go down by 1, and its OVER...no matter how much time is left.:help:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
So when do the forwards start getting held accountable for not scoring? I see a lot of people that are quick to crucify the defense, GM, and coach, but why not the forwards? They are easily the biggest reason why this team is 3-8 right now. If this team had any finish last night, the game is 3-1 or 4-1 heading into the third period.

where have you been? we have been complaining about the forwards and everyone else since the season started. With Hartnell and Simmonds being at the center of it. Giroux has been better lately but before that he hasnt been good.
When Berube is putting Raffl on the top line something is wrong. Probably a good indication he has lost faith in some of the other players that have been up there in the past. My main issue with him right now is he keeps playing Rosehill. Call Mcginn back up and send that clown back to the AHL where he belongs.

Last edited:

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario

You say Coburn had a terrible game but Bill Meltzer says in his write up that he was solid last night and it was his partner Grossmann who was terrible:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad