Post-Game Talk: Tue., Oct. 29, 2013|Ducks 3 at Flyers 2

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
I thought Coburn played well last night when his game consisted of one on ones and breaking out with little to moderate pressure. Problems arise when the other team is pressing and the play is below our goal line. Our D, plus the C go off on some kind of Keystone Cop routine where they start chasing the puck and getting out of position, which leads to high percentage chances from the slot.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Had a lot of positive things to say, then my browser messed up.

If I were GM:
First thing would be to lock Mason up for 2-3 years.

Kimmo wont be moved until the deadline. Until then, shelter his minutes and keep him healthy so he has value. Move Coburn. If we can get a 7th for Mesz, great. Either way, I wouldn't have any of those players back next year, unless Kimmo wants an office job.

I'd keep Harts as a 2/3 LW. We can get more assets for Simmonds.

If he can't perform, move Voracek if we can make out like bandits on a trade

Next Season:
Read - G - Vinny
Rafl- Schenn - Cousins/Akeson
Harts - Laughton - McGinn
Rinaldo-Couts-Talbot
Hall

Alt-Gus
Schenn- Morin
Haag - Streit
Grossman

Mason
Stolarz

I wouldn't expect much, other than for the rookies to gain experience. I'd still expect to compete though. And it isn't really a tear down/rebuild other than moving Voracek and Simmonds.

If you want to rush every single one of our prospects and throw them into the fire while tanking then go for it.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Without watching the replay of the goal :)cry:), does anyone know what defensemen turned the puck over to Getzlaf that led to the first goal?

Also, I forgot to say, Mez was terrible with breakout passes last night.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You say Coburn had a terrible game but Bill Meltzer says in his write up that he was solid last night and it was his partner Grossmann who was terrible:naughty:

I think Coburn is one of the worst D on the team, and nothing is really going to change my mind about that.

Wixztor

Mar 30, 2013
Coburn had a good game, complaining about him pretty much means that you don't like him and saw what you wanted to see.

**** both Schenns, I'd say. Seriously, when are people going to start seeing that Brayden is good for nothing? Slow skater, doesn't check as much anymore, slow decision-making, doesn't get shots off, pretty poor defense. And so on. He's been terrible. I'm quite surprised that he hasn't been getting any flak on here.

But I think that they might bounce back in a good way already in the next game. If they can channel even some of the confidence they had in the first period, they won't be in terrible (mental) shape. Or so I hope.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Coburn gets far too much hate on these boards. He's the team's #1 defenseman because he's less crappy than the rest of the defensive core, who are all performing terribly.
I think Coburn is one of the worst D on the team, and nothing is really going to change my mind about that.
That's the spirit!

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby

I don't know what defense you're looking at then. Overall Timonen, Mez, Grossman, and Schenn have all been worse than Coburn to varying degrees so far. Gus and Streit have been about as good. This is not to say Coburn has been that good, more that our defense is that bad. But still to say he is 'one of the worst' is stupid at worst he's 3rd or 4th.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Coburn has faced the hardest competition on the team, yes. But he has done pretty damned poorly against it; really poorly. Grossman has done better in comparison.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't know what defense you're looking at then. Overall Timonen, Mez, Grossman, and Schenn have all been worse than Coburn to varying degrees so far. Gus and Streit have been about as good. This is not to say Coburn has been that good, more that our defense is that bad. But still to say he is 'one of the worst' is stupid at worst he's 3rd or 4th.

I don't see how naming players worse than him makes him better.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Can someone explain to me what the Flyers needs are? It seems like they are a decent team that lacks a true #1D.

When I look at your roster, I see a solid team capable of taking the wild card spots.

Going into the season I thought Mason was going to kill any chance of the Flyers making the playoffs but he's been great.

I just can't comprehend how a team like the Flyers struggle to score goals. Mind boggling.

Arent working hard enough for Goals. Kimmo needs his minutes sharply reduced but the Forwards are mostly attacking on the perimeter. Schenn, Hartnell, Simmonds all need to start setting up near the crease alot more. They aren't good at anything else. Opponents know how to play the Flyers and they haven't adjusted.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
You are right I did, but then I was told it was taken, so I left it.
v2skrb.jpg

Spell my name

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Raffl looks like a really capable 3rd line LW. I don't love him up on the 1st line though.

And we still need to figure out the long-term plan for Schenn / Couturier / Laughton. Schenn's skillset looks like it should translate to wing, but he hasn't been consistent there. He's looked better at center, though I can't say he's been consistent there either.

Schenn needs to learn how to play Wing and stay there. Problem is he cant skate for azz, so I dont know if he can keep up on W. I think he doesn't try as hard at W so they have to play him at Center. Problem there is he sucks on FO's. He just isnt good enough to be in the top two lines IMO. I think Scheen needs more time in the AHL.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Coburn had a good game, complaining about him pretty much means that you don't like him and saw what you wanted to see.

**** both Schenns, I'd say. Seriously, when are people going to start seeing that Brayden is good for nothing? Slow skater, doesn't check as much anymore, slow decision-making, doesn't get shots off, pretty poor defense. And so on. He's been terrible. I'm quite surprised that he hasn't been getting any flak on here.

But I think that they might bounce back in a good way already in the next game. If they can channel even some of the confidence they had in the first period, they won't be in terrible (mental) shape. Or so I hope.

I hate to give up on Schenn after what happened with JVR. But yeah he isnt exactly very good on most nights. I dont know why they let him play Center.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hate to give up on Schenn after what happened with JVR. But yeah he isnt exactly very good on most nights. I dont know why they let him play Center.

And Sharp.

Schenn, like JVR was, is inconsistent. He has a good shift followed by several invisible shifts.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Because it's the position he understands best. If you think he looks lost as a centre, go back and watch him as a winger.

Cuiff

Jul 11, 2002
Horsham (Philly)
Every player on this team, except for Mason. Should be on the block while we still can get something for them......does G have a NMC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad