Post-Game Talk: Tue., Dec. 17, 2013|Capitals 2 at Flyers 5|7:30 p.m. ET

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It wasn't a hit from behind even with the turn. Nobody is upset because they think it was a hit from behind.

If it was from behind, then you could blame Schenn for turning-- but that's not what the issue is here. The issue is the charge, so the turn really has nothing to do with anything.

Considering Schenn went in face first, the turn has a ton to do with it.

Its a charge, I'm not debating that. The fact he went in face first exacerbated the injury and full effect of the hit.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

Its a charge, I'm not debating that. The fact he went in face first exacerbated the injury and full effect of the hit.

Schenn on that play, for all intents and purposes, is sitting still compared to the motion of Wilson. Unless he was skating towards Wilson or had a chance to lower his body, the full energy from Wilson's wind-up would have been transferred to Schenn's upper body.

When that much velocity gets transferred to a body standing still at that distance away from the boards, there's very little chance that it doesn't result in some kind of head impact; I'm talking real impact potentially causing severe damage.

That's the kind of play that destroys or even takes lives.

There's a reason charging is a penalty, and there's a reason that it's generally frowned upon in hockey. How many times is it called a year? For the most part players shy away from those kind of hits. They're very dangerous.

So it doesn't really matter what way Schenn turns. That level of charging is disastrous when a player is not in any position to get low/dodge/face the attacker head on. Even then, it's still often really dangerous.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
.500 again!

Only one point out of the playoffs.

7th best ROW in the east.

24-18-6, 25-18-5 or 25-17-6 to the end of the year would give them a pretty good chance (61-76-87%) of making the playoffs.

That is 0.563, 0.573 and 0.583 for those records.

Since Berube took over (31 games) they have been 15-12-4, so 0.548.

So if they maintain how they have done for the last 31 games they will be on the cusp of the playoffs. (1 point out most likely when factored up... 53 points out of 96 remaining would give them 45% chance of playoffs, going 24-19-5, which is effectively what they have for the last 31 factored to 48 left.)

The next two games in my mind are very important though... 4 points here before a trip out west would be great.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Big props to Coburn for turning his season around after a terrible start.

I'm also very encouraged that our 5 on 5 offense has really started clicking. That was the most concerning thing about this team. Having Raffl on the top line has jumpstarted Voracek, who is looking great.

I thought B. Schenn was having his best game of the season. He was very noticeable all night, with many great passes.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

If Schenn doesn't turn, what do you think happens differently? He still gets violently propelled into the boards, likely with his head still making the initial contact.

If Schenn doesn't turn, the hit is still equally devastating.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I don't know about everyone else, but VV has really exceeded my expectations. Like I said, I only saw the 3rd period, but he looked great from what I saw of him. Makes good decisions and is tenacious on the forecheck. Hope he can keep it up.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439272

The Flyers answered 58 seconds later when Voracek took a pass from Braydon Coburn and skated in with Giroux on a 2-on-1 break. Voracek kept the puck and fired a wrister that beat Holtby to the stick side.

"I surprised myself because I never shoot," Voracek said. "I always pass. I've been that way since I was a kid."

Well Jake, maybe you should SHOOT MORE OFTEN!

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
If Schenn doesn't turn, what do you think happens differently? He still gets violently propelled into the boards, likely with his head still making the initial contact.

this. schenn didn't have anywhere to go. turning the way he did was his only chance at avoiding the check. if he continued skating he'd still have gotten rocked awkwardly into the boards and likely gone face first anyway. it's not his responsibility to face the player about to charge him. i don't understand why people have this attitude or think it factors at all into the supplemental discipline.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I'm going to wait for the injury report, but going face first into the boards opens up many possible injuries that aren't really possible if you go in shoulder first.

I will definitely admit the overheard camera makes the hit look bad. He came from a LONG way away.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
this. schenn didn't have anywhere to go. turning the way he did was his only chance at avoiding the check. if he continued skating he'd still have gotten rocked awkwardly into the boards and likely gone face first anyway. it's not his responsibility to face the player about to charge him. i don't understand why people have this attitude or think it factors at all into the supplemental discipline.

Well the player does bear onus for putting himself in a poor position. Turning your back simultaneous to the hit is absolutely the player's responsibility, especially if it changes the entire hit as a whole. If Player A will get hit shoulder to shoulder by Player B, Player B cannot be held responsible for Player A turning a split second before the hit that ultimately caused it to be from behind. The turn should me a mitigating factor when determining supplemental discipline.

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Well the player does bear onus for putting himself in a poor position. Turning your back simultaneous to the hit is absolutely the player's responsibility, especially if it changes the entire hit as a whole. If Player A will get hit shoulder to shoulder by Player B, Player B cannot be held responsible for Player A turning a split second before the hit that ultimately caused it to be from behind. The turn should me a mitigating factor when determining supplemental discipline.

yeah but he's already more or less got his back to him when he notices wilson coming. he can either keep skating and still get boarded or try to turn away from the check. yeah, he chose the more dangerous option but either way it's a dangerous play.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439272

The Flyers answered 58 seconds later when Voracek took a pass from Braydon Coburn and skated in with Giroux on a 2-on-1 break. Voracek kept the puck and fired a wrister that beat Holtby to the stick side.

"I surprised myself because I never shoot," Voracek said. "I always pass. I've been that way since I was a kid."

Well Jake, maybe you should SHOOT MORE OFTEN!

I know I told Beef that if he shot more, he would score more, and I still think I'm right... at least for the time being.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know I told Beef that if he shot more, he would score more, and I still think I'm right... at least for the time being.

Anybody who shoots more will score more, but we shouldn't be expecting him to match his pace for last year since his 18% shooting rate was much, much higher than his career rate.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
It's great seeing the 2nd power play unit look competent out there. The addition of Streit and the growing confidence of Couturier is making a noticeable difference (Read's been good, too).

And it's been mentioned a few times already but, Raffl's been great. I didn't expect much after seeing him in preseason and reading Meltzer's report on him, but he's been very impressive.

And I couldn't believe Voracek took the shot on that 2 on 1. He's been looking like the Voracek of last season recently.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Schenn walked out of the WFC after the game & looked fine according to reporters, hopefully he just had the wind knocked out of him.

Can't be. The hit took place in the 2nd and he didn't come back the rest of the game.

Certainly wasn't just the wind getting knocked out of him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Can't be. The hit took place in the 2nd and he didn't come back the rest of the game.

Certainly wasn't just the wind getting knocked out of him.

It happened late in the second. He probably wasn't going to come back as a precaution anyway but all indications were that he was fine after the game obviously with concussions that can change the next day though.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
didnt see the game but good to see Mase bounce back after a subpar effort on Sunday. these are the kinds of things I want to see from him. how he handles having a poor game that cost his team a game.
Keep on shooting Jake.
glad to hear angry and good Coburn show up tonight.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm a Flyer fan but if you have the puck you have to expect you might get hit. Guys running players with the puck isn't the problem. The problem is guys making maneuvers that leave them extremely vulnerable. You wouldn't see guys do this 20 years ago cause they knew they could get slammed into the boards and a penalty wouldn't even be called. They're trying to make the game safer but in actuality they're making players forget about worrying about getting hit. I don't blame Wilson here at all. As he's skating he's facing Schenn's shoulder, then Schenn actually looks up for a second as if he's gonna continue in that direction, then completely turns toward the boards. In real time it's gonna be VERY hard for Wilson to notice that in time and not deliver the hit. Thus the onus should not be on him IMO.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Last night's game we saw another huge plus to having an ACTUAL HOCKEY PLAYER in the lineup instead of Rosehill. When Schenn went down, it's not as hard to continue rolling four lines with VV there.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'm a Flyer fan but if you have the puck you have to expect you might get hit. Guys running players with the puck isn't the problem. The problem is guys making maneuvers that leave them extremely vulnerable. You wouldn't see guys do this 20 years ago cause they knew they could get slammed into the boards and a penalty wouldn't even be called. They're trying to make the game safer but in actuality they're making players forget about worrying about getting hit. I don't blame Wilson here at all. As he's skating he's facing Schenn's shoulder, then Schenn actually looks up for a second as if he's gonna continue in that direction, then completely turns toward the boards. In real time it's gonna be VERY hard for Wilson to notice that in time and not deliver the hit. Thus the onus should not be on him IMO.

I disagree. Wilson had plenty of time to change his course of direction and not deliver a hit in a dangerous area. It was a dirty, stupid hit. Wilson should get a game or 2 just for being stupid.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
.500 again!

Only one point out of the playoffs.

7th best ROW in the east.

24-18-6, 25-18-5 or 25-17-6 to the end of the year would give them a pretty good chance (61-76-87%) of making the playoffs.

That is 0.563, 0.573 and 0.583 for those records.

Since Berube took over (31 games) they have been 15-12-4, so 0.548.

So if they maintain how they have done for the last 31 games they will be on the cusp of the playoffs. (1 point out most likely when factored up... 53 points out of 96 remaining would give them 45% chance of playoffs, going 24-19-5, which is effectively what they have for the last 31 factored to 48 left.)

The next two games in my mind are very important though... 4 points here before a trip out west would be great.

Don't forget that they were 1-7-0 at one point, as they adjusted to Berube's style. They're 14-8-4 since, which is a 0.615 points percentage. Consistency is key, but they're looking more like a playoff team with each passing week.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If the Flyers did happen to make the playoffs, they'd likely be playing the Caps, provided they don't blow their spot.

This could turn into a nasty season series with the Caps similar to 2012 with the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad