Tucson Roadrunners Discussion - Coyotes AHL Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
At the time the Coyotes moved to the valley there was a team named the Phoenix Roadrunners (AHL) playing at Veteran's. Sure, they could have purchased the naming rights from Herb Abrams, but it made more sense to create a new brand for a new NHL team.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rebranded the Falcons when they come here, but as much as I want it to be the Runners it likely won't. It'd be interesting to discuss alternative names. Tucson Pack, Tucson Roadrunners, Tucson Scorpions...any others?

IHL not AHL, and they were the Kings affiliate.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
At the time the Coyotes moved to the valley there was a team named the Phoenix Roadrunners (AHL) playing at Veteran's. Sure, they could have purchased the naming rights from Herb Abrams, but it made more sense to create a new brand for a new NHL team.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rebranded the Falcons when they come here, but as much as I want it to be the Runners it likely won't. It'd be interesting to discuss alternative names. Tucson Pack, Tucson Roadrunners, Tucson Scorpions...any others?

Actually, that's not bad. Alludes to the parent club, and can go by names like T-Pack, Tu-Pack :laugh:, etc.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Early results on my twitter feed seems to indicate that Tucson will be welcoming. baseball has

Its a win for the area

Yeah. Tucson fans were, to put it mildly, extremely annoyed when they lost the Diamondbacks spring training. Some good non-UofA sports news is good for them.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Please no. I hate sports names like that. A single group like the "Wild" or "Lightning" or any WNBA team name. Sports teams should end with an S, in my opinion.

I got over that when my hometown got the NBA Magic. Don't care anymore.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Tuscon Pack is horrible. Roadrunners and Scorpions are good though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If the jersey has an image of a flying eyeball on it (and by flying, I don't mean wings), I'm on board :laugh:

Only reason I suggested this was b/c Tucson's nickname is Optics Valley.

Would be kind of amusing to have this as the logo on the jersey:

images

Or this:

images

Sorry if you are slightly squeamish...

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly most excited about this so the men's league here will last longer than 10 games. Men's league here sucks because the ice isn't in a long time, and they have to melt and re-freeze whenever someone else has the arena booked.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Only reason I suggested this was b/c Tucson's nickname is Optics Valley.
Would be kind of amusing to have [an eyeball] as the logo on the jersey:
I knew about the Optics valley thing; I just want a hockey jersey with a flying eyeball on it. I prefer something like the second image, but a drawing/animation. Kind of like the cheesy scenes in old horror movies of an eyeball flying through the air. Just think about tan eyeball flying around the arena during a game

Of course I'd be fine with an image of a beholder as well :laugh:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I knew about the Optics valley thing; I just want a hockey jersey with a flying eyeball on it. I prefer something like the second image, but a drawing/animation. Kind of like the cheesy scenes in old horror movies of an eyeball flying through the air. Just think about tan eyeball flying around the arena during a game

Of course I'd be fine with an image of a beholder as well :laugh:

bloodshot_blue_eyeball_baseball_jersey.jpg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oh I like that! A10's are awesome, plus they're tank killers which is somewhat fitting.

It would give them a built-in nickname (Thunderbolts are called "Hogs" by pilots) and the chant would be awesome - "Let's go T-bolts!"

Oh man. If I thought this had any possibility of happening I'd design up a set of uniforms. I already have a logo in mind. Sigh.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Took a look at some desert animals. These would all be good in my book.

1. Roadrunners
2. Gilas
3. Bobcats (UofA homage too)
4. THORNY DEVILS!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
:laugh: Yeah, apart from buying a AHL team and moving it to Arizona.. thereby starting a new tradition.. ridiculous

AHL teams are cheap and portable, which is why we're talking about putting one in Tucson of all places. Vegas would obviously want one too, should it come to that. So, really, let's see the arena deal.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
AHL teams are cheap and portable, which is why we're talking about putting one in Tucson of all places. Vegas would obviously want one too, should it come to that. So, really, let's see the arena deal.

We might have paid Kyle Chipchura more than we paid for the franchise. I want to see real investment in training staff/facilities for the team down there.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
Given the Coyotes track record at the AHL level, I'll propose this for the team's logo:

CbJRclYW0AA_zp6.jpg

(EDIT: Sorry if I come off as bitter, but given today's announcement.....well, I am.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad