Tucson Roadrunners Discussion - Coyotes AHL Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
I like the Roadrunner name. Not sure if it is a fit here though.

Huh? Road runners are frequently found zipping around the brush in the Tucson area.

It's also the name of Arizona's (now defunct) hockey team with the most history. Yes, more than the Yotes, or even the Jets if you count that.

Plus, they had this cool jersey (this is a 70s throwback):

7690_2005_06_brad_wan.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Huh? Road runners are frequently found zipping around the brush in the Tucson area.

It's also the name of Arizona's (now defunct) hockey team with the most history. Yes, more than the Yotes, or even the Jets if you count that.

Plus, they had this cool jersey (this is a 70s throwback):

7690_2005_06_brad_wan.jpg

I'm just think of the cartoon how the roadrunner made a fool of the Coyote. I love the name and logo.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I just hope they go with an original jersey template and colors. I hate it when AHL teams just copy the exact same look.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
This is just gorgeous, IMO:

Ah, the ECHL, or "Claude Lemieux" Roadrunners, with the subtle modernization of the logo from IHL and prior years.. (AWA circa 2007 - the only time I ever saw a puck stop on the ice because the zam put too much water out at a pro game..."hey, just like Chandler!")

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Prescott Valley (population 42k) was a disastrous market for the mid-minor CHL -- it has an arena, but I can't see it being anything other than a financial disaster for any AHL team trying to make a go of it there.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Prescott Valley (population 42k) was a disastrous market for the mid-minor CHL -- it has an arena, but I can't see it being anything other than a financial disaster for any AHL team trying to make a go of it there.

Tucson's track record isn't that great either if you're going that route.

Prescott is ~90 minutes from both Phoenix and Flagstaff. Sedona is closer and growing (big money retirees). During the last lockout you could find a lot of Coyotes fans making the trip to Prescott. With the top prospects of the franchise being that close and playing on weekends only, who's to say??

Feb 12, 2003
Anyone else think we're going to see a lot of two way contracts?

As I understand it total contract can equal 50 and two ways limit the player to no more than ten NHL games. Feel free to correct me, if I'm mistaken.

imo, the team being close will serve well for player development and I'm guessing we see more up and down movement than usual.

I haven't kept up with the current CBA enough to give specific quotes, but it's not like that. Two-way contract means that a player receives a different salary when on the NHL club versus the AHL club. Two-way contracts can be given to just about any player, not restricted to players who have played 10 NHL games.

You are confusing the 10 game rule for junior age players, once they have played 10 NHL games they are no longer eligible to return to Canada juniors to play and either have to be on the NHL team or assigned to a minor league team (which depends on their age as well).

Two-way deals are really something the players try to avoid when they get some negotiating room because they would likely rather make $750K a year in the NHL than $150K in the AHL.

Another thing you may be confusing is what players qualify for waivers or not. That's a bit more complicated, but if a player has played X number of pro games or Y number of seasons then they require passing through waivers to be sent to the AHL. This allows those players a second chance to stick with a new NHL team before going back to the minors if they are a more established player.

Feb 12, 2003
Where else are there Roadrunners? That name has a ton of history with AZ hockey. It'd be a disgrace to call them anything different. In fact, the Coyotes should've been the Roadrunners, honestly.

At the time the Coyotes moved to the valley there was a team named the Phoenix Roadrunners (AHL) playing at Veteran's. Sure, they could have purchased the naming rights from Herb Abrams, but it made more sense to create a new brand for a new NHL team.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rebranded the Falcons when they come here, but as much as I want it to be the Runners it likely won't. It'd be interesting to discuss alternative names. Tucson Pack, Tucson Roadrunners, Tucson Scorpions...any others?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Where else are there Roadrunners? That name has a ton of history with AZ hockey. It'd be a disgrace to call them anything different. In fact, the Coyotes should've been the Roadrunners, honestly.

I agree.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The other thing to consider is, what is there connected with a coyote that could feasibly be made into a team name? Although calling the prospects "the Pups" should immediately be brought into our fan lexicon... :naughty:

Other ideas I like for team names: Vipers (which is what I thought the Vegas team should have been named since the Thunderbirds fly out of Nellis); Scorpions; Jackrabbits; Javelinas. I also liked the name Tucson Sidewinders when it was our AAA team.

But Roadrunners is so Arizona - in so many ways - that I think it should be the clear favorite if they're changing the name at all.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The other thing to consider is, what is there connected with a coyote that could feasibly be made into a team name? Although calling the prospects "the Pups" should immediately be brought into our fan lexicon... :naughty:

Other ideas I like for team names: Vipers (which is what I thought the Vegas team should have been named since the Thunderbirds fly out of Nellis); Scorpions; Jackrabbits; Javelinas. I also liked the name Tucson Sidewinders when it was our AAA team.

But Roadrunners is so Arizona - in so many ways - that I think it should be the clear favorite if they're changing the name at all.

Tucson Thunderbirds is my immediate 2nd favorite.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Early results on my twitter feed seems to indicate that Tucson will be welcoming. AAA baseball has been bouncing around so regular forms of entertainment has been limited to the Cats. I think an AHL will do well in the area and bring fresh attention to the big club up north. I also wonder if the Coyotes could do an exhibition game in Tucson?

Its a win for the area and a great way to market the Coyotes. A lot of people from Tucson are bitter the Dbacks left so hopefully a new pro team can draw from a pro sportless town. It is only 40 minutes more (1 way) to drive down to the TCC from my house versus Glendale. So I might get in a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad