Tucson Roadrunners (AHL) Discussion

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well alright, got back at midnight and too tired to post then

1 - Ben McCartney with the hattrick, announcer called Fasching for the goal so no one knew McCartney had a hattrick at the end of the game on the empty netter. This kid is always in the right spot, he could play up right now and thank goodness we drafted this kid in 2020. Like Garland, he's going to be a fan favorite, doing all the things you want to see, extremely competitive, gives it to the other team every chance he gets.

2 - Ivan Prosvetov had a shutout, played great and he had one of the best saves I've seen off a rebound, the Texas Stars player had a wide open side net to shoot at, but Ivan closed it with an unreal athletic move to stop the puck, crowd cheered so hard, loudest I've ever heard in Tucson. I'm not good at reviewing goalie movements, but he seemed poised and calm, needs to work on handling the puck though. Muffed a couple behind the net which led to quality shots on him, but he was a wall.

3 - Barrett Hayton made so many nice plays this game, from subtle short passes to start an odd man rush, so slippery moves in the o-zone to set up a shot. He made 2 passes to open guys who apparently weren't ready for such a pass, otherwise, he would have had a few more assists than just the 1 he got. He's definitely ready, but I think they're going to let him keep gaining confidence, plus, the Roadrunners are a really good team.

4 - Jen Jenik, another crowd favorite, lots of Jenik jerseys at the arena, by far the most jerseys of the current group of players. He gets under the skin of the opposing team easily several times throughout the night. He's slippery in the o-zone, and he could have easily had a goal and at least 1 more assist, but Oettinger actually played great for Texas, otherwise the score would have been worse. He's ready as well, but like Hayton, leave him down to craft his offensive game and have the kids grow together as they should be a top team.

5 - Matias Maccelli - he made 2 unreal passes, cross seam passes that did not result in goals, because McGregor and Hebig couldn't put the puck in the open net. He is really quick and creates separation in the o-zone , but he's Schmaltz, passing up 2 glorious chances to shoot to make that extra pass when he should have shot. He needs to work on his strength to become better at battling for the puck.

6 - Tucson Team defense is pretty good, all the guys played with poise, made crisp passes to breakout the puck and were cycle busters all night long. Kolyanchonok is quite a remarkable skater, I could watch him all night long just to see him skate, best skater on the ice. Provolnev had a huge hit and the Texas player crumpled over and skated directly to the bench.

Great night, we will see what happens we I go back tomorrow.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

1 - Ben McCartney with the hattrick, announcer called Fasching for the goal so no one knew McCartney had a hattrick at the end of the game on the empty netter. This kid is always in the right spot, he could play up right now and thank goodness we drafted this kid in 2020. Like Garland, he's going to be a fan favorite, doing all the things you want to see, extremely competitive, gives it to the other team every chance he gets.

2 - Ivan Prosvetov had a shutout, played great and he had one of the best saves I've seen off a rebound, the Texas Stars player had a wide open side net to shoot at, but Ivan closed it with an unreal athletic move to stop the puck, crowd cheered so hard, loudest I've ever heard in Tucson. I'm not good at reviewing goalie movements, but he seemed poised and calm, needs to work on handling the puck though. Muffed a couple behind the net which led to quality shots on him, but he was a wall.

3 - Barrett Hayton made so many nice plays this game, from subtle short passes to start an odd man rush, so slippery moves in the o-zone to set up a shot. He made 2 passes to open guys who apparently weren't ready for such a pass, otherwise, he would have had a few more assists than just the 1 he got. He's definitely ready, but I think they're going to let him keep gaining confidence, plus, the Roadrunners are a really good team.

4 - Jen Jenik, another crowd favorite, lots of Jenik jerseys at the arena, by far the most jerseys of the current group of players. He gets under the skin of the opposing team easily several times throughout the night. He's slippery in the o-zone, and he could have easily had a goal and at least 1 more assist, but Oettinger actually played great for Texas, otherwise the score would have been worse. He's ready as well, but like Hayton, leave him down to craft his offensive game and have the kids grow together as they should be a top team.

5 - Matias Maccelli - he made 2 unreal passes, cross seam passes that did not result in goals, because McGregor and Hebig couldn't put the puck in the open net. He is really quick and creates separation in the o-zone , but he's Schmaltz, passing up 2 glorious chances to shoot to make that extra pass when he should have shot. He needs to work on his strength to become better at battling for the puck.

6 - Tucson Team defense is pretty good, all the guys played with poise, made crisp passes to breakout the puck and were cycle busters all night long. Kolyanchonok is quite a remarkable skater, I could watch him all night long just to see him skate, best skater on the ice. Provolnev had a huge hit and the Texas player crumpled over and skated directly to the bench.

Hayton had a strip in the defensive zone that brought me out of my seat. He’s going to be a very good 200 foot player in NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayton had a strip in the defensive zone that brought me out of my seat. He’s going to be a very good 200 foot player in NHL.
I'm really hoping he gets a call up after a few more games. I'm not a fan of his, but I'm cheering for him. Not watching much of the Coyotes games as they are unwatchable but if Hayton and another one or two get called up I will start to watch a bit more.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm really hoping he gets a call up after a few more games. I'm not a fan of his, but I'm cheering for him. Not watching much of the Coyotes games as they are unwatchable but if Hayton and another one or two get called up I will start to watch a bit more.
Treat yourself and get Tuscon package w AHLTV.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Saw a graph of the average ages of each AHL squad and Tucson is the youngest in the entire league. They wont have it easy, these are hard yards.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Put on the Roadrunners game after the Cardinals game ended. Hayton looks good so far, and Prosvetov... doesn't. I still like the potential I've seen in Prosvetov, but he's still very raw around the edges even by AHL standards. Could be a long way off still. I believe he can eventually make it as an NHL goalie, but tonight's game is not very encouraging.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Put on the Roadrunners game after the Cardinals game ended. Hayton looks good so far, and Prosvetov... doesn't. I still like the potential I've seen in Prosvetov, but he's still very raw around the edges even by AHL standards. Could be a long way off still. I believe he can eventually make it as an NHL goalie, but tonight's game is not very encouraging.
Its a back to back and in his previous two games he allowed 0 goals against combined. Yes he's off tonight.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the scout from Buffalo we hired ran the draft for us.

I just liked what i saw in Regina bubble and thought we might have a gem. we traded a pick to get another 7th this past year to draft Lipkin and he’s now off to a great start. We have some guys picking gems in late rounds. I like this.
Jankowksi is responsible for picking McCartney? Good to know!

rt

May 13, 2004

Thanks! Think Soderstrom should head down to overcook with Hayton and Jenik?

Also, when you get a chance, would love an update on JJ Moser and Kolyachonok. I loved Moser’s game in camp. Kolyachonok is a guy I’ve always targeted in trade proposals with Florida. Liked his game in junior.

rt

May 13, 2004
agreed, it was fantastic, his effort was 110% all night long, great to see he's engaged and willing to put in the work.
Let’s get Shane Wright and Nathan Gaucher on draft day. Then, with Hayton, we’ll have our top three centers for the next decade plus. And all three are big, strong, defensively responsible, two-way Cs. They call that a team identity. Culture-building.

Reactions: Grimes

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Let’s get Shane Wright and Nathan Gaucher on draft day. Then, with Hayton, we’ll have our top three centers for the next decade plus. And all three are big, strong, defensively responsible, two-way Cs. They call that a team identity. Culture-building.
where will matthews play?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

where will matthews play?

All this talk of people hoping for (or worse expecting to get) Auston Matthews or Shayne Wright...

We'll probably end up with Shane Matthews - Wikipedia and Austin Wright - Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad