TSN's Top 50 Player Rankings

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The proof that people underrate Matthews is SIMPLE: everyone (except Leafs fans) had him rated LOWER than John Tavares.

Well, now that they're on the same team, we can see that yes, JT is a beast, but Matthews is even better.

But go ahead, keep telling us that Matthews is not a top 10 player. LOL. He might even be #3 right now.

You didn't exactly provide any proof. You just gave your opinion and said, "Ha! See? You're all wrong". :help:

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I remember James Duthie has said the rankings are a projection going into the upcoming season.
And even though I fully expect Matthews to make his way into the top 5/10 players in the league in the next few years, I just don't see him being there this year.

My thinking is if we were to take the top ~20 players in the league from last year, I just don't see a reason to expect Matthews to progress so drastically to leap frog a bunch of guys who either A) are also developing and getting better or B) are still in their prime and don't have any reason to be expected to take a step back this year

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The proof that people underrate Matthews is SIMPLE: everyone (except Leafs fans) had him rated LOWER than John Tavares.

Well, now that they're on the same team, we can see that yes, JT is a beast, but Matthews is even better.

But go ahead, keep telling us that Matthews is not a top 10 player. LOL. He might even be #3 right now.
I find it funny and a little hypocritical how a lot of people who disagree with Matthews rankings are the same people who hope to see him leave Toronto and sign an offer sheet with the Coyotes. Anyone who is rational knows that will never happen, however even if it did wouldn't that mean Matthews is one of the top players in the NHL to get an offer sheet and he put up amazing stats for it to happen.

Reactions: Lilou

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
And even though I fully expect Matthews to make his way into the top 5/10 players in the league in the next few years, I just don't see him being there this year.

My thinking is if we were to take the top ~20 players in the league from last year, I just don't see a reason to expect Matthews to progress so drastically to leap frog a bunch of guys who either A) are also developing and getting better or B) are still in their prime and don't have any reason to be expected to take a step back this year

Why not? He was PPG last year, has worked on his skating/shot, and will be getting prime power play time. I think gets 50 goals/90+ points this year.

Reactions: Lilou and bionic

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Since the Lightning defeated the Bruins in 5 games in the playoffs why should Brad Marchand be ranked #14 and Patrice Bergeron be ranked #17 and David Pastrnak be ranked #29? See I can take playoff results as well and use them against their rankings.
none of those players got dominated at all in their playoff games against the Lightning....TB's depth whooped the Bruins.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I find it funny and a little hypocritical how a lot of people who disagree with Matthews rankings are the same people who hope to see him leave Toronto and sign an offer sheet with the Coyotes. Anyone who is rational knows that will never happen, however even if it did wouldn't that mean Matthews is one of the top players in the NHL to get an offer sheet and he put up amazing stats for it to happen.

How is it hypocritical? Not sure how someone disagreeing with where he ranks and also saying he'll leave Toronto demonstrates hypocrisy.
Don't you mean coincidence?
Legit semantics question here btw

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean, technically speaking, not really. Tomas Vanek and Dustin Penner each got offer sheets from other clubs. Would you have ever considered either of those guys one of the top players in the NHL at that time?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
#3 hmmm I believe that he will be there soon but right now? Never had 70pts+ season. I would seriously like to know what are your arguments for to put him there ahead of a guy like Malkin?

Matthews had better 5v5 production than Malkin *last* year (which was Malkin's best year in a long time), and he's 11 years younger.

I'm not going to hold it against Matthews that he had injuries when Malkin has been just as injury prone during his career, or that the coach gives him less ice time and puts him on the 2nd PP unit.

If I had to choose one of the two for this upcoming season it's Matthews and I don't think twice.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
You didn't exactly provide any proof. You just gave your opinion and said, "Ha! See? You're all wrong". :help:

It's pretty much a consensus among people who watch the Leafs a lot that Matthews is better than Tavares.

So, sure, technically it's just my opinion, but it's a pretty universally held opinion. If you think Tavares is better and watch the team you're in a very small minority.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's pretty much a consensus among people who watch the Leafs a lot that Matthews is better than Tavares.

So, sure, technically it's just my opinion, but it's a pretty universally held opinion. If you think Tavares is better and watch the team you're in a very small minority.

1-I think Matthews is better than Tavares. I've said this numerous times.

However ...

2-I just didn't see the link between Matthews being better than Tavares proving he's a Top 10 player. Tavares isn't a Top 10 player, so what does being better than him prove?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Matthews had better 5v5 production than Malkin *last* year (which was Malkin's best year in a long time), and he's 11 years younger.

I'm not going to hold it against Matthews that he had injuries when Malkin has been just as injury prone during his career, or that the coach gives him less ice time and puts him on the 2nd PP unit.

If I had to choose one of the two for this upcoming season it's Matthews and I don't think twice.
Malkin led the 2017 playoffs with 28 points and just finished 4th in scoring with 98 points.... but ok...

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013

Malkin had 98 in 78 last year, he had more assists than Matthews had Points. Again, as has already been said, 5v5 and points per 60 is just a way to twist things and make the guy look better than he has been without using raw stats. Malkin destroys Matthews based on raw production. Its not really debateable. Malkin could play 55 games and hed have more points than Matthews full season.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
none of those players got dominated at all in their playoff games against the Lightning....TB's depth whooped the Bruins.

Matthews didn't get dominated by anybody, he had the most shots and the most high danger scoring chances of all players in the TOR-BOS series last year.

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada

A 3 what? maybe hit 70 points and we will talk

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
He plays on the league's best PP unit, we get it. Maybe you'll get to see Matthews score 98 points this year now that he's on a good PP unit.

Doubt it.

He’ll never hit more than 90 pts in his career, just not that type of player. He’s good for 40+ goals but maximum 30 assists.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
However ...

2-I just didn't see the link between Matthews being better than Tavares proving he's a Top 10 player. Tavares isn't a Top 10 player, so what does being better than him prove?

Last year when he wasn't on the Leafs almost everyone had Tavares as a top 10 player.

Of course, now that he's a Leaf, most of HF wouldn't have him in the top 20, many not even in the top 30.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Matthews didn't get dominated by anybody, he had the most shots and the most high danger scoring chances of all players in the TOR-BOS series last year.

Just the eye test, but he just didn't seem like a threat at all in that series (as a bruins fan), Marner on the other hand I was constantly nervous when he got the puck, I could see a 90 point campaign in the future for Marner with ease.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Doubt it.

He’ll never hit more than 90 pts in his career, just not that type of player. He’s good for 40+ goals but maximum 30 assists.
You're entitled to that opinion but when Matthews is one of the top 5 on 5 players in the league and then gets put on a dominant PP unit this year you have to think that he's going to get over 30 assists, especially when he got 29 last year in 62 games.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Just the eye test, but he just didn't seem like a threat at all in that series (as a bruins fan), Marner on the other hand I was constantly nervous when he got the puck, I could see a 90 point campaign in the future for Marner with ease.
He had good advanced stats but he clearly like you said wasn't that good. Partly attributed to two lingering injuries according to Babcock. But excuses aside he looks healthy this year. Matthews paced for 84 or 85 points last year and he was playing hurt down the stretch. Both players could go ppg+.

Reactions: Emerz

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
And yet Malkin has been over PPG every freaking season minus one and some of you would put Matthews at #3 over Malkin. Get outta here :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Last year when he wasn't on the Leafs almost everyone had Tavares as a top 10 player.

Of course, now that he's a Leaf, most of HF wouldn't have him in the top 20, many not even in the top 30.

Tavares wasn't seen as a Top 10 player. Arguably a Top 10 center, but not a Top 10 player.

The last time Tavares was ever seen as a Top 10 player was when he lost to Jamie Benn in 2015. He hasn't been considered that for the past three seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00