TSN690: Brian Wilde on Subban

er_gree

Oct 6, 2006
Montreal
I was listening to TSN 690 this morning and Brian Wilde was discussing Subban. He stated that he thinks Subban is being over coached and that his instincts are being taken away. He now looks scared to rush up the ice and to take risks like he used to. All in all, I think this is a right assessment and personally am bored watching him on most nights now. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I was listening to TSN 690 this morning and Brian Wilde was discussing Subban. He stated that he thinks Subban is being over coached and that his instincts are being taken away. He now looks scared to rush up the ice and to take risks like he used to. All in all, I think this is a right assessment and personally am bored watching him on most nights now. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I see a strong similarity with what PK is going through that Price went through.

Price started off well until his coaching caused a style drift that didn't feel comfortable for him as you saw him struggle. Once he went back to his own style (this year) the difference is obvious.

PK needs to be let go and coached within a framework, not a leash. He's going to make mistakes but can't be punished so severely for them if there's any hope of seeing him develop. Looking at Doughty, Karlsson etc, they were given the opportunity to make mistake because their upside was so high. PK is not being offorded the same and it shows in his play and production. It's really slipped off. hard to blame anyone else but the coach as he's clearly not playing his style or given the opportunity he needs to succeed. I'm frustrated for the kid.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That's pretty much what people here have been saying about Subban's game all season. I can't be the only one here who misses watching Subban lay out those huge hits like he did in the past that we haven't seen at all this year.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Brian Wilde: HF's mouthpiece.

I'm guessing he also went on to say Therrien should be fired, Eller should be tried with Pacioretty, and we should look into trading for Patrick Bordeleau.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Out of all the coaches PK has had I think Martin was truly the only one who let PK loose. He seemed to understand that the big hits and crafty moves made PK highly productive.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Out of all the coaches PK has had I think Martin was truly the only one who let PK loose. He seemed to understand that the big hits and crafty moves made PK highly productive.

Martin is a better coach than Therrien.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Agree bigtime with Wilde here, and I'd add that the same thing is happening with Eller. He looks lost now, no confidence whatsoever. Last season he was rushing up the ice too.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree in part with what Wilde is saying...

Yes Subban should be encouraged to play with his insitincts, but there's a very fine line. There's a balance that, IMO, he hasn't quite mastered yet.

He still has to figure out how to be himself, within the team's structure...for the most part, he does a good job of this but sometimes, he doesn't.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Agree bigtime with Wilde here, and I'd add that the same thing is happening with Eller. He looks lost now, no confidence whatsoever. Last season he was rushing up the ice too.

Therrien played his part with eller... but most of the blame falls on the dane himself. He has the skills to come out of this funk, but he just seems too down on himself.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Didn't you notice our boring the Lightning were when Boucher was coaching there?
They weren't. One terribly silly tactical response in one game AWAY from home against the Flyers does not make a coach's entire Å“uvre.

They had the lead, it was up to the Flyers to come back and try to score, they didn't - too bad.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Didn't you notice our boring the Lightning were when Boucher was coaching there?

Their blue line consisted of an overwhelmed Hedman and specialty players. Boucher's trap gives blue line breakouts, and is most effective with good centermen and especially offensive dmen. And Boucher's good with young talent and didnt seem to have problems with the vets in TB.

TB had no business going to the ECF in Boucher's rookie year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Therrien played his part with eller... but most of the blame falls on the dane himself. He has the skills to come out of this funk, but he just seems too down on himself.
Some of the blame obviously falls on Eller but MT has done everything in his power to make the guy fail.

Intentionally? No. But his whole "tough love" approach doesn't work with every player and he hasn't shown the ability to adapt to different players. All we've seen with him is unjustified favouritism and it's come at the expense of play on the ice.

He's ruining Eller and he's not doing Subban any favours either.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
MT "breaking" subban as he promised on the couch of AC. Also seems to be done during his contract year. MT and MB... Sneaky sneaky

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I wouldn't say that he's over coaching Eller though. I think Therrien has had his center hierarchy before game 1 of last year.
DD was his offensive go-to guy, Plekanec was his defensive reliable guy, and Eller was a 3rd line project that entered a make or break year.
It's how he's built his line since day 1, I remember him agreeing on AC with how RC was running the team, which is essentially the same way he's been doing it this year.

I think he's just prioritizing the other 2 centers and has little love for Eller. I don't think he's trying to dumb down Eller's game like he is with PK though.

That being said, Therrien is not a teacher. Never been. That's a big reason why I hated the move and didn't want him. To me, it makes 0 sense to bring in a coach that is just horrible regarding strategies, systems and teachings. It's the most important part of a coach imo. A good communicator and motivator? That were his selling points.
If a good communicator is someone that can't even string two good sentences together (in french and english might I add), then I seriously have to question the level of standard set. A motivator?? If I base myself on 24CH, my peewee coach used to give us the same crap speeches about playing with emotion, passion and being hungry.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree in part with what Wilde is saying...

Yes Subban should be encouraged to play with his insitincts, but there's a very fine line. There's a balance that, IMO, he hasn't quite mastered yet.

He still has to figure out how to be himself, within the team's structure...for the most part, he does a good job of this but sometimes, he doesn't.

No idea what you're trying to say here...

PK's biggest flaw was his timing. Whether it was for hits or rushes, we kept hearing about how he needs to learn to ''play with the clock'' and make better decisions.
This is something he'll figure out with experience. Let the guy play.

Hall Gill even said so himself. I'm paraphrasing but he said ''People need to stop trying to fix PK. You have to let PK be PK and live with it.''
Every time I hear people talk about PK needing to find balance and all that crap, I feel like they haven't watched some of supposed best Dmen in the NHL all that much, because every mistake PK has done, I've also seen them do, and just as often.

Everybody has things they can improve on. It doesn't make mean it's a problem though, and that's the biggest issue here. Whatever aspect PK needs to work on has been turned into a problem.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

No idea what you're trying to say here...

Odd you would say this since...

PK's biggest flaw was his timing. Whether it was for hits or rushes, we kept hearing about how he needs to learn to ''play with the clock'' and make better decisions.
This is something he'll figure out with experience. Let the guy play.

This is essentially capturing exactly what I said...

Hall Gill even said so himself. I'm paraphrasing but he said ''People need to stop trying to fix PK. You have to let PK be PK and live with it.''
Every time I hear people talk about PK needing to find balance and all that crap, I feel like they haven't watched some of supposed best Dmen in the NHL all that much, because every mistake PK has done, I've also seen them do, and just as often.

Everybody has things they can improve on. It doesn't make mean it's a problem though, and that's the biggest issue here. Whatever aspect PK needs to work on has been turned into a problem

I think you're a tad sensitive when it comes to Subban (which is saying something coming from me). I agree 100% with what you're saying here, so not sure what the issue is.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He is def not over coached if anything he doesn't listen to the coaches that's why he gets benched so much
Other players can make as many mistakes as they want to with no consequences (and in some cases get even more icetime) but Subban - the defending Norris winner - deserves benching?

Yeah... okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad