TSN: TSN Top 10 Available Expansion List

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
The name on the list should be Josh Manson or Simon Despres, Not Silfverberg. If the Ducks feel they can extend Fowler, then they don't trade him. They'll sort out KB before they lose a core player. Likely scenario is Ducks have a fire sale on d-men. Get 'em while they're hot. Any of them would be a good addition to most teams. Just gimmez yor top 6 cheap forward, done deal.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Agreed. For wingers its a pretty tight race right now. Slepyshev and Pitlick are stepping up, Cagguila could be a good piece. Then you have Khaira in AHL doing well. Not to mention ability to get one in FA. Losing Pouliot would be best case outcome given winger depth and his cap hit. Maroon and Pitlick would suck because they are cheap and good

That's true, and I really like them both. But thank god we can only lose ONE. I'd rather lose one of those wingers than lose Davidson; I think it would have a lesser negative impact on the team moving forward. While there's the possible problem of having a logjam of LHD, I think that's a good problem to have. Not to mention, if we DO end up trading for a 2nd pairing, puck-moving RHD, that team is probably gonna want a Dman back, and Davidson just might carry some good value by seasons end, if he can come back and play well (and maybe even if he can't, just based on last years' very strong play). Will be very interesting to see what Chia does to save our precious Dmen that we've been waiting so long on. Of course, now that they finally develop we stand to lose one. :shakehead Stupid expansion draft...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Rinne, Josi, Subban, Ekholm, Ellis, Johansen, Forsberg, Neal and one of Smith, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok and Wilson.

Yea you guys are going w/ 8 skaters + goalie (because you have 4 stud dmen) over seven forwards, 3 dmen and 1 goalie. That's why i found it weird when he had Jarnkrok over Wilson.

I guess Nashville might want to protect Arvidsson too, why not move 1 your dmen (Ellis or Ekholm) so you can protect Johansen, Forsberg, Neal, Smith, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok and Wilson + 3 dmen + a goalie?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ermm... Alex Killorn or Vlad Namestnikov over a lot of the guys listed.

Ya I don't understand Button picking Nesterov to be an extra dman when those 2 are available. A 40 point forward isn't a star but either of them are better than a lot of the names Button has in the lineup. Granted, you can make that case for just about any pick anyone makes. It's no easy job

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I doubt Minnesota trades one of their Dmen.

If they did it would then be to protect 4 defensemen meaning they would lose one of Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter, or Zucker. If the team was that keen on keeping that 4th Dman then why not just protect all 5 good defensemen along with just 3 forwards and still lose just one of Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter, or Zucker?

Under the trade scenario they lose either Dumba or Scandella to trade AND one of the forwards. Under the other scenario they lose just one of the forwards.

Because they have more young Dmen who are coming down the pipe in Folin, Reilly, and Olofsson. The latter two have top 4 talent. Zucker is looking mediocre, so he won't be a great loss. If they buy out Pominville at the end of this season they will only have to protect Koivu and Parise up front. Coyle will definitely be protected, and probably Nino over Granlund. Losing Granlund would hurt, but losing Staal would hurt more, the way he's playing.

I do think the Wild need to trade one of their Dmen for forward help during the course of this season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm confused how Button ended up with Nemeth from Dallas. I mean i'd be estatic if he's Las Vegas pick as a Stars fan but seems unlikely. Stars will have better players exposed.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm confused how Button ended up with Nemeth from Dallas. I mean i'd be estatic if he's Las Vegas pick as a Stars but seems unlikely. Stars will have better players exposed.

Yea i think Roussel might be the 1 to go, Eakins might be available too right? Lindell is another option if Vegas wants a young player w/ upside in their AHL system.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yea i think Roussel might be the 1 to go, Eakins might be available too right? Lindell is another option if Vegas wants a young player w/ upside in their AHL system.

Lindell i don't think will get exposed. Stars don't have much to protect on defense so the two young guys with most upside that need protection should be kept and those are Johns and Lindell ( Honka is exempt )

Klingberg , Johns and Lindell seems likely as the 3 defenseman even if Lindell and Johns may eat scratches right now.

Hamhuis has not been good not worth protecting. Jordie Benn has been solid but protecting him seems dumb . Oleksiak and Nemeth meh def. not getting protected.

On forwards Roussel and Eakin look they get exposed at the very least one . If we don't want them exposed we need to sign more minor guys before the draft to expose instead. You need 2 forwards 40/70 still under contract exposed .

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Matt Benning has absolutely NOT made Davidson expendable. He'd suck to lose to Vegas Oilers are hoping they'll select Pouliot or Kassian.

This.

Oilers hoping its Pouliot for sure. The most notable players the Oilers expose are likely:

Davidson
Maroon
Pouliot
Kassian

The only one I can see Vegas taking (if they are smart) is Davidson.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Lindell i don't think will get exposed. Stars don't have much to protect on defense so the two young guys with most upside that need protection should be kept and those are Johns and Lindell ( Honka is exempt )

Klingberg , Johns and Lindell seems likely as the 3 defenseman even if Lindell and Johns may eat scratches right now.

Hamhuis has not been good not worth protecting. Jordie Benn has been solid but protecting him seems dumb . Oleksiak and Nemeth meh def. not getting protected.

On forwards Roussel and Eakin look they get exposed at the very least one . If we don't want them exposed we need to sign more minor guys before the draft to expose instead. You need 2 forwards 40/70 still under contract exposed .

Roussel, Eakin and Hamhuis will be exposed, I think Jim Nill will ensure that Nemeth & Oleksiak ineligible for exposure, as most of our forwards are UFAs, ineligible, or garbage anyway.

Nill will probably make at least one deal for a guy who a team doesn't want to lose for nothing, probably a winger. We'll see, though.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yea you guys are going w/ 8 skaters + goalie (because you have 4 stud dmen) over seven forwards, 3 dmen and 1 goalie. That's why i found it weird when he had Jarnkrok over Wilson.

I guess Nashville might want to protect Arvidsson too, why not move 1 your dmen (Ellis or Ekholm) so you can protect Johansen, Forsberg, Neal, Smith, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok and Wilson + 3 dmen + a goalie?

Wilson isn't worth protecting over Ellis or Ekholm.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Its Wilson + Smith + Arvidsson, 7 forwards and 3 d. You get an extra 2 forwards.

We're losing one player no matter what, we need to make it a forward. We just don't have the defensive depth.

Ellis and Ekholm are better players than Wilson, Smith, Jarnkrok and Arvidsson, if they aren't protected Vegas picks them guaranteed.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
We're losing one player no matter what, we need to make it a forward. We just don't have the defensive depth.

Ellis and Ekholm are better players than Wilson, Smith, Jarnkrok and Arvidsson, if they aren't protected Vegas picks them guaranteed.

true

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Roussel, Eakin and Hamhuis will be exposed, I think Jim Nill will ensure that Nemeth & Oleksiak ineligible for exposure, as most of our forwards are UFAs, ineligible, or garbage anyway.

Nill will probably make at least one deal for a guy who a team doesn't want to lose for nothing, probably a winger. We'll see, though.

While teams need to expose a certain amount of players that fullfil certain requirements that doesn't mean every player that doesn't fullfil those can't be taken. Nemeth and Oleksiak are eligble to be taken no matter what if not protected. They're not exempt.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I feel like those players won't be the best available for Vegas at all. They're all very very average.

Yea, they're depth players which any team needs.

The real improvement for Vegas will be in this amazing UFA class, and if they spend a few bucks they're going to be a pretty good team.

So if Vegas spends another 20M on UFA's they're certainly a playoff team.

Vegas without question will be the most spoiled NHL team in expansion history for sure.

Lets not forget - they have what? top 5 picks for the next 4-5 seasons?

Vegas has the opportunity to perhaps be a dynasty down the road if they play their cards right.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Yea, they're depth players which any team needs.

The real improvement for Vegas will be in this amazing UFA class, and if they spend a few bucks they're going to be a pretty good team.

So if Vegas spends another 20M on UFA's they're certainly a playoff team.

Vegas without question will be the most spoiled NHL team in expansion history for sure.

Lets not forget - they have what? top 5 picks for the next 4-5 seasons?

Vegas has the opportunity to perhaps be a dynasty down the road if they play their cards right.

I'm sure UFA's are just dying to sign with a team that has no chance to do anything for 5+ years.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Best case scenario for the CBJ is if Button is right and LV take Korpisalo from us. Great G prospect but Atkinson is playing fantastic and is guaranteed 20 goals a season. No idea why people are talking about Silfberg and Brodin but not him. I love Silfberg btw I wish the jackets had traded for him years ago but back to Cam he could easily be there best forward and lead them in goals the first season. We can protect Cam but at the risk of losing Karlson and Anderson. Calvert will be open too for forwards but I see others ahead of him and JMFJ will be out there on D and could easily be their top pairing D. Right now we are going between Atkinson and Karlson and that is right now a very hard decision. Both are playing great for us but long term we have Cam replacements... Karlson could be a long term 3C after Dubi leaves and is already playing tremendous 3-4C.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
TSN thinks that the jets will protect Lowry over Perreault. I can't see that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad