TSN: TSN Top 10 Available Expansion List

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
TSN just posted this, I find some of the players laughable:

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-bound-tsn-s-cream-of-the-expansion-crop-1.613628
Here are the Top 10 players projected to be available, according to TSN Hockey:

10. Trevor van Riemsdyk, RD, Chicago: Just two years ago, van Riemsdyk was hurried back from injury to help put the Blackhawks over the top in the Stanley Cup Final as a rookie. He earned coach Joel Quenneville's trust by pulling down 20 minutes per night last season. With so many pillars to protect with no-move clauses, the Hawks will be hard pressed to keep the 25-year-old.

On what planet, is he anywhere near the top players available?

9. Jonas Brodin, LD, Minnesota: The Wild signed Brodin, 23, to a six-year, $25 million deal with the hopes he would become the next John Klingberg or Oliver Ekman-Larsson. So far, the offensive side of his game has not translated, which could leave him vulnerable in the expansion draft since other blueliners Ryan Suter, Jared Spurgeon and Matt Dumba need protecting.

8. Brandon Davidson, RD, Edmonton: Davidson, 25, took an enormous stride last year, filling a much-needed void on the right side as a left-shooting defenceman. But the 2010 sixth-round pick has been out since the Oilers’ season opener and rookie Matt Benning’s play on the right side has made Davidson expendable.

Same as Trevor van Riemsdyk

7. Cam Atkinson, RW, Columbus: Atkinson’s name had been dangled on the trade market in recent years, but the Blue Jackets yanked him back during a career-best 53-point campaign last year. The Blue Jackets must protect Scott Hartnell, Nick Foligno and Brandon Dubinsky, who all have no-movement clauses.

6. Jason Zucker, LW, Minnesota: Since only one player can be taken from each team, one way the Wild may be able to keep Brodin and their young ‘D’ intact could be to dangle Zucker. The 24-year-old is the NHL’s only Las Vegas-raised product and word is GM George McPhee has already been doing his due diligence on Zucker.

5. Dmitry Orlov, LD, Washington: McPhee drafted Orlov in 2009 and helped develop him. The Caps’ 25-year-old Russian is coming off a breakout campaign in which he netted 29 points on the back-end.

4. Mathieu Perreault, LW, Winnipeg: McPhee also drafted (then traded) Perreault in Washington. The Jets’ crafty forward is still on the right side of 30 and has been a consistent producer with back-to-back 41-point seasons in Winnipeg.

3. Marc Methot, LD, Ottawa: The Senators don’t want to lose the yin to Erik Karlsson's yang, but changing protection schemes might mean exposing players such as Kyle Turris, Derrick Brassard, and J-G Pageau - just to protect Methot. One way around it would be for Dion Phaneuf to waive his no-move clause.

2. Jakob Silfverberg, LW, Anaheim: Kevin Bieksa's contract continues to wreak havoc on the Ducks. His no-move clause forces the Ducks to go to an eight-skater protection plan, leaving top six forwards like Silfverberg vulnerable. Las Vegas won’t have many of those at their disposal.

I can't imagine any scenario that sees the Ducks letting him be available.

1. Marc-Andre Fleury, G, Pittsburgh: The longest-tenured Penguin may hold the hammer with a no-move clause, but his no-trade clause can only prevent him from going to certain cities. That’s why it’s hard to imagine the Penguins not finding a way to protect 22-year-old Stanley Cup winner Matt Murray. Fleury, 31, is already closing in on 400 career wins and has plenty of tread left on his tires to be the bedrock of the Las Vegas franchise for years to come.

Honestly think the Pens will make a move to avoid losing either goalie for free.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Why exactly would Fleury waive his NMC and be lost for free? It'd make much more sense for him to be bought out and then have free reign to choose where he wants to sign. Unless they mean he'll be given away in a trade which would be more accurate.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Way too early to make a liat like this. After the trade deadline is the soonest I'd waste much time on this. Tracking individual teams is more relevant at the moment.

Matthews316

Nov 21, 2016
Toronto
I honestly think their will be a few surprises in terms of players who are left unprotected. This is a free chance for teams to possibly rid themselves of a contract they could see as an anchor down the road.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
get real tsn the jets are protecting Perrault. hockeybuzz is more in touch with what is going on.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
In what world does the Jets not protect MP who we just resigned? Tsn is off on that one. Haha

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I do not think that Cody Eakin is an amazing player but I'd like to think he's better than TVR at least

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
get real tsn the jets are protecting Perrault. hockeybuzz is more in touch with what is going on.

Really? Looks like his offense took a big hit since signing an extension. Jets will need cap space to re sign some of their big names in 2-3 years (Wheeler, Little, Laine, Connor, Ehlers).

Matthews316

Nov 21, 2016
Toronto
Rick Nash, Evander Kane, Mike Smith, Antti Niemi, Kari Lehtonen and Jason Spezza all come to mind as guys who could be left unprotected and claimed.

Alex Mills

If Bieksa is bought out and Despres and Stoner are dealt or left unprotected, Silfverberg and Cogliano will likely stay put. Atkinson is a surprise, averaging almost a point per game this year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I do not think that Cody Eakin is an amazing player but I'd like to think he's better than TVR at least

I don't think TSN expects him to be exposed. They don't really follow the Stars outside of Benn/Seguin so my guess is they'd expect Faksa to be exposed for example.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Matt Benning has absolutely NOT made Davidson expendable. He'd suck to lose to Vegas Oilers are hoping they'll select Pouliot or Kassian.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don't think TSN expects him to be exposed. They don't really follow the Stars outside of Benn/Seguin so my guess is they'd expect Faksa to be exposed for example.

Worse part is that Nill probably will expose Faksa and protect that POS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad