TSN: TSN Top 10 Available Expansion List

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Montreal should look to trade for whichever they expose. Both are better than Beaulieu/Emelin who will be a coin-flip for the 3rd protected spot. Likewise IF Silfverberg is somehow not protected (I know it won't happen ANA fans, this is just for argument sake), it would be better to trade him to a team that can protect him than leave him exposed.

Well Beaulieu still has potential, if we do trade for either Scandella/Brodin that would most likely mean losing Beaulieu in the expansion draft (not 100% of course). If we could move Beaulieu for picks/prospects then i wouldn't mind targeting 1 of De Haan/Brodin/Scandella.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
and if the exp. draft is before the buy out window and bieksa refuses to waive?

heres to hoping the NHL does vegas a favor and puts the buy out period after the expansion draft.
a fowler/vatanen would be a nice piece to start with

Like Vegas isn't getting enough special treatment already? Why am I not surprised a Leafs fan is making this ridiculous statement when most of their best players are either exempt or they only have a few good players that need protection.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Before the lists come out, teams will likely be making trades.

For example Minnesota likely trades one of its Dmem to another team

For teams doing 7-3-1 there will be debate on who 6 and 7 will be.
Teams going 8-1 will likely have better forward exposed.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
I doubt Minnesota trades one of their Dmen.

If they did it would then be to protect 4 defensemen meaning they would lose one of Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter, or Zucker. If the team was that keen on keeping that 4th Dman then why not just protect all 5 good defensemen along with just 3 forwards and still lose just one of Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter, or Zucker?

Under the trade scenario they lose either Dumba or Scandella to trade AND one of the forwards. Under the other scenario they lose just one of the forwards.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
[Tweet]801115534515261440[/MEDIA]

Button's team, but yea no one know's who's gonna be available tho. Most of these guys are probably gonna be traded.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Button's team, but yea no one know's who's gonna be available tho. Most of these guys are probably gonna be traded.

Besides Silfverberg, who apparently will be protected :sarcasm:, that looks pretty realistic.

I'd bet that Poile sends a pick to keep Jarnkrok from a Nashville perspective.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Besides Silfverberg, who apparently will be protected :sarcasm:, that looks pretty realistic.

I'd bet that Poile sends a pick to keep Jarnkrok from a Nashville perspective.

Who's Nashville gonna protect? I thought Wilson and Jarnkrok were gonna be exposed.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Davidson is so under-rated around here. But I guess that goes with the territory, playing in the West. As an Oiler fan, I REALLY hope we can keep him. We're finally, FINALLY starting to get a decent D corps, and it ****ing sucks that we might have to give up a pretty key guy in the expansion draft. Just our luck. Maybe we can throw them a pick or two for them to stay away; he'll be worth it to us IF he can get back to being healthy. Or maybe the recent injury problems keep LV away. We'll see. Not sure he should be ahead of Brodin on the list, but I think he belongs around #10-12 on the 'top potential players available' for the expansion draft. Just my take; haters harass someone else.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Itll be cruel irony for Oilers. They develop a middle pairing D still with upside from the 5th round and he gets claimed in a once in 20 year expansion draft

Las Vegas please please claim Reinhart. He was a #5 overall pick and was traded for alot- hes really good! *winks*. Davidson is an injured 5th round scrub, this is not the player you are looking for.

But youd have to hope they expose Pitlick before Davidson given that the draft will have a ton of depth forwards. So hopefully that gets them to take Reinhart

Yeah, if Davidson can come back healthy and effective, I think I'd prefer to go the 4+4 route, and expose Maroon, Kassian and Pitlick. Wingers are kind of a dime a dozen. Chia has shown he has a pretty good eye for them. Dependable Dmen like Davidson are NOT a dime a dozen at all. So we might have to go that route, and protect Sekera (NMC), Klefbom, Larsson and Davidson on D.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Unless something’s changed it has the rules for exempt players wrong. The original announcements were pretty clear AHL time counts as years pro.
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/3/...on-draft-details-las-vegas-quebec-gm-meetings
Even more interesting is that the professional tag will also apply to the AHL in the cases of first- and second-year players.
My understanding is that they are using the definition of years pro from the CBA, but applying it to AHL and NHL games played so that a player like William Nylander who had 1.5 years in the AHL prior to this your would need to be protected. In fact on TSN 1290 shortly after the rules were announced Bill Daly referenced him specifically as a play that would need to be protected.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nylander doesn't have to be protected because years in the AHL before the age of 20 don't count. It's the same reason Hagg is exempt.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2088437

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

I honestly think losing Korpisalo to the expansion draft would be best case scenario for the Jackets. They're going to leave 2 of Atkinson/Anderson/Karlsson exposed (who are all having very nice starts to the season), as well as Jack Johnson.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah, if Davidson can come back healthy and effective, I think I'd prefer to go the 4+4 route, and expose Maroon, Kassian and Pitlick. Wingers are kind of a dime a dozen. Chia has shown he has a pretty good eye for them. Dependable Dmen like Davidson are NOT a dime a dozen at all. So we might have to go that route, and protect Sekera (NMC), Klefbom, Larsson and Davidson on D.

Agreed. For wingers its a pretty tight race right now. Slepyshev and Pitlick are stepping up, Cagguila could be a good piece. Then you have Khaira in AHL doing well. Not to mention ability to get one in FA. Losing Pouliot would be best case outcome given winger depth and his cap hit. Maroon and Pitlick would suck because they are cheap and good

duul

Jun 21, 2010
If Davidson is player number 88 on Edmonton, he would be quite an add for an expansion team in my opinion. Not a sexy pick, by any means, but that's "scout's pick" in my opinion...

Yep. He looked to be our best defenceman before getting injured last year.

He has always been a bandaid. He is probably out for the rest of this season. Reinjured his shoulder while training a week or so ago. If he could stay healthy, the talking heads claimed he would've been in strong consideration for the World Championship squad last year.

He's been a great story and hopefully next year he can come back and stay healthy. I don't see Las Vegas picking him up when Maroon/Pouliot will be exposed.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Injuries like that really suck, but there could be a silver lining where it makes a player unattractive to Vegas and then they bounce back after getting to stay with the team that developed them.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Jets are in a tough spot here as we will lose a real good player in either Perreault or Armia. With is recent play, I am enclined to believe they would protect Armia above all else.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON

A lot of those guys won't be available, MAF is not waiving to be claimed, that would be stupid of him. The Ducks will protect Silf. There is a reason why Button has never had a remote sniff at a job in the NHL again, he is a blundering idiot. He makes Doug MacLean look like a genius he is so dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad