(TSN) Top 1-2 Centre Combinations in Today's NHL

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Solid list, might have the Edmonton guys over Washington but it's subjective
But Edmonton doesn't have a 1-2 punch.

There is no offense without McDavid. Proven again last night. Shut down McDavid and they have NOTHING else. Edmonton should probably not break the top 10

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Are we really doing this "Draisaitl isn't a centre" crap again? He played more time away from McDavid last season at 5-on-5 and they've been together for only seven minutes this season. He's the second line centre on the Oilers.
And how has he done away from McDavid? He is a winger.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
But Edmonton doesn't have a 1-2 punch.

There is no offense without McDavid. Proven again last night. Shut down McDavid and they have NOTHING else. Edmonton should probably not break the top 10

No offense but you could put a retired Scott Gomez as edmontons 2nd line center and they would still crack the top 10 list based on McDavid alone

Reactions: McJazz

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
lol no. Pens are easily #1 and no one will ever touch them until they decline, or unless McDavid gets a better 2nd C in edmonton.

I wouldn’t say easily, in terms of raw talent and in playoffs yeah sure no question. Crosby has completely plateaued, Malkin is still a complete beast. Who knows what Matthews is going to pull this season, and Tavares being the “worst” of this list but still damn good is more then a reliable 2C.

Basically what’s going through my mind is Crosby and Malkin have nothing to prove, they have already won it all.

Matthews and Tavares want a cup damn bad, and Matthews seems like he is going to have a hell of a year.

It’s early but Crosby hasn’t done much, Malkin has been racking up points but Matthews/ Tavares more so. Irrelevant because of how early it is but still something to consider of what could lie ahead

Matthews=Crosby production wise

Malkin> Tavares no matter what tbh.

I’m not saying your wrong, I’m saying it’s closer then you think.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
As a Leaf fan, I would have Pens 1, Edm last (best center and worst center of the 8), and Washington/Toronto could go either way. Based on the first few games of the season, it would be the Leafs, but based on an entire season, it may not play out that way.

Reactions: KIRK

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Per TSN ranking the best 1-2 centre combinations in today's NHL -- Do you agree?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/ranking-the-best-1-2-centre-combinations-in-today-s-nhl~1517631

d9TepZ7.png

5nZjuIh.png

h1QsYym.png

kFLFk60.png
Swap #2 and #4 and it would be a much better list.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn’t say easily, in terms of raw talent and in playoffs yeah sure no question. Crosby has completely plateaued, Malkin is still a complete beast. Who knows what Matthews is going to pull this season, and Tavares being the “worst” of this list but still damn good is more then a reliable 2C.

Basically what’s going through my mind is Crosby and Malkin have nothing to prove, they have already won it all.

Matthews and Tavares want a cup damn bad, and Matthews seems like he is going to have a hell of a year.

It’s early but Crosby hasn’t done much, Malkin has been racking up points but Matthews/ Tavares more so. Irrelevant because of how early it is but still something to consider of what could lie ahead

Matthews=Crosby production wise

Malkin> Tavares no matter what tbh.

I’m not saying your wrong, I’m saying it’s closer then you think.

Closer? Maybe. But there really is no argument for the leafs duo over Pitts. Prior to McDavid they were the 1st and 2nd best centers for a decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taluss
Oct 18, 2011
Yes you can. Easily. It's basically McDavid vs 2 elite centers. I dont think it's even close, you take Matthews and tavares by a mile.
"Easily"

So you mean to tell me if the leafs got offered to swap their duo for the oilers duo they wouldn't do it?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Top 3

#1. Crosby/Malkin.
#2. McDavid/Drai.
#3. Backstrom/Kuzy(They just won a cup)

HM

Stamkos/Point
Trocheck/Barkov
Kopitar/Carter

Reactions: pi314