Post-Game Talk: TSN Tipping Point

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't mean anyone in particular, but there was ridiculously high praise going his way after that game and people were talking like that was it,he had arrived as a top six guy for McDavid.

Yeah, just clarifying my own view. the board reacts far too much specifically on a game to game basis on any topic or player or coach or...

If the board were managers we would have 2 players on the roster.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The problem was a bunch of people talking like he was suddenly McDavid's future winger after one game. Folks do this to themselves and JP was a great recent example, lol. Grumble about something one day, someone has a good outing and the grumbling turns into ridiculously high expectations, and the very next game those hopes come crashing down again and it's back to being because of the player.

JP can have a breakout year while still having off games. It doesn't have to be run and gun every single game.

Puljujarvi was fine I thought. Led the team in shots, came out ahead in high danger chances.

We had absolutely nothing going 5v5.

The biggest issue last night was Nurse/Bear got absolutely brutalized and Tippett didnt trust either of his other two pairings as far as he could throw them.

Tyson Barrie is firmly in the doghouse, though. Least overall icetime among our D with just over 14 minutes.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
huh? 3rd line is a mess and costing the Oilers games

I disagree, it looks to me like Kassian and Neal play well together. That line had some solid shifts and were buzzing pretty good. They had quite a few chances around the net, just couldn't bury one. I'd stick with it, just my opinion.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To be clear I'm fine with Pulju being up in topsix, I would try him, and Kassian with Drai. Let McD have all the linemate riches in Yama and Nuge. Be OK with it, Drai works better with decent sized players that can be tough on boards and on the puck. Kass and Pulju both have speed for for forecheck as well. I think a line like that could be punishing for opponents.

Its natural that Pulju is going to have some up and down games. It kind of threw him when he got the penalty for being agressive on the puck. He's still figuring out what he can do, what he can't do without penalty, and how much that changes in the NHL almost every game.

I would take Jesse in a ho holds barred league anytime. Just bowl people over and get the puck. He's a bit of a tank now. Liking it.
Maybe make up your mind. Is Yama part of riches or is he someone that Drai has to carry?

Reactions: nabob and TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Since goalies take forever to develop, this is definitelly not on Holand.

As for trade, we have more holes in our line-up than swiss cheese and almost no assets, but hey we should somehow trade for a solid starter...

The reality is that between the awful drafting during the Tambelini and McT era, and Pete trading Hall-Eberle-Barzal pick (so basially a firt line on many teams) for Larsen and Lucic, our cuboard is pretty empty. You wanta starter, you probably need to trade Drai.
Montreal gave up a 3rd and 7th for Jake Allen.

Those aren't exactly assets.

Allen isn't starter material but splitting him and Koskinen would go a long way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
lol

Look at what Drai typically gets for linemates.

Even yesterday in just the briefest glimpses with even Kassian he set him up 3X for scoring chances. Thats more scoring chances in a combined less than 2mins of play than Kass has had all season playing with Connor. Just to demonstrate a point.

Years ago, the same posters, and you, were telling me its Drai's fault he can't make Khaira produce.

Most of the time since the org traded Hall Drai doesn't get a whole lot on his line. One spell with Nuge where they became the best line in the league. hmmm
Counter your Kassian argument with Yamamoto. Nuge and Yama have clicked more than Drai-Yama despite Nuge very rarily playing with Yam.

If McD is slowing down Kassian then Drai is perhaps anchoring down Yamamoto.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Didn't mean anyone in particular, but there was ridiculously high praise going his way after that game and people were talking like that was it,he had arrived as a top six guy for McDavid.
It was understandable if fans were happy with Puljus play that game.

Fans will be singing his praises whenever he pots in a goal as well.. Why shouldnt we?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It was understandable if fans were happy with Puljus play that game.

Fans will be singing his praises whenever he pots in a goal as well.. Why shouldnt we?
I've been a cheerleader of his since day one. I'm all for being happy for him. But some of the comments about having finally found McDavid's winger and him finally showing up were a little premature in my opinion.

He's had a really good start and I'm happy along with everyone else, but expectations shouldn't have changed much from the summer to now. He's going to have off days, and he may not be a top six guy in the long run. I just hope people don't sour on him when the bad games inevitably happen.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
How's the Tomas Kahun experiment going, for all who were wetting themselves when we signed him?
8 games in and not a sniff. Shaping up to be the Tobias Reider for 2021, except Reider was relegated to 3rd and 4th line duty most of his tenure here. Kahun has some skating ability, and some shiftiness, but zero net presence, and I'm not even sure what his shot is like, as he's never been in position to use it.
Not only that, but he's got Tippett banging the proverbial square peg into the round hole and not putting Nuge in his place to really jack up that line. Right now it's Drai and Yamo pulling the freight, while McDavid continues to amaze with his end to end rushes and goals, while Nuge watches in amazement, and sometimes even picks up the odd assist here and there from touching the puck right before MacDavid takes off. Other than that, nearly all of Nuge's points have come on the PP.

I sincerely hope that Kahun can start to find the net sooner than later, as it is certainly in the teams interests, but this has all the makings of being a dog.

I sadly can't disagree with this.

I'd reunite Dry, ... that much is obvious to most/all of us.

Then you can put Neal with McD and Pulju. Neal is strong on the boards, decent defensively and like most on our team, can't keep up with McD anyway. But we just need him to win the battle and chip it into McD's path... Pulju is fast enough to make those breaks a two on one (or a late trailer) and Neal can be the super-late trailer who can be useful by the time McD needs to circle the net and set up shop for a cycle. You don't need speed for that and he's perfect for that big-body in front role.

Reactions: Duke74 and nabob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think you forfeit the season and maybe next year your bring in woodcroft and Bouchard.

There will be no trades for Edmonton as is tradition.

Forgot about Woodcroft. Team was rough last year but they downgraded on talent and Starrett being out killed them. Wonder if he’d do well as an NHL coach

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I turn on 1260 while driving because they are on a few min before bagdad Bob. I never tune into them. All I hear is about Drai and mcDavid and d. They need to get better, but Spec talks like these two are the downfall of the team. Do these guys not ever look at #'s and how atrocious their supporting cast is?

All flash they say. Plus ES players jacka**es. Then his little boy he has as a sidekick kept talking about Hendricks lol. Now I know why I never turn that filth on. Like 2 dinosaurs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I turn on 1260 while driving because they are on a few min before bagdad Bob. I never tune into them. All I hear is about Drai and mcDavid and d. They need to get better, but Spec talks like these two are the downfall of the team. Do these guys not ever look at #'s and how atrocious their supporting cast is?

All flash they say. Plus ES players jacka**es. Then his little boy he has as a sidekick kept talking about Hendricks lol. Now I know why I never turn that filth on. Like 2 dinosaurs.

I expect that from Eastern media types, but you have to be brain dead to think McDavid or Drai have been poor defensively this year.

McDavid is top3 in the league in possession metrics for regular forwards and Leon has been on the ice for one f***ing goal against at 5v5.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Counter your Kassian argument with Yamamoto. Nuge and Yama have clicked more than Drai-Yama despite Nuge very rarily playing with Yam.

If McD is slowing down Kassian then Drai is perhaps anchoring down Yamamoto.

Yeah? I wonder what a Nuge/Yama line would look like without Drai driving. Without Drai possessing the puck without Drai transitioning the puck, without Drai setting up people half a dozen times a night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe make up your mind. Is Yama part of riches or is he someone that Drai has to carry?

Different on different nights. Or on different lines. its not confusing Drai-Yama is not a match, it never was as a duo. They are not players that are complimentary to each others game. They don't connect on scoring plays. Plus Yama was very quiet last night. he isn't riches, he's just the closest thing we have to a topsix player after our tripod.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Montreal gave up a 3rd and 7th for Jake Allen.

Those aren't exactly assets.

Allen isn't starter material but splitting him and Koskinen would go a long way.

The last thing this team needed this year was a 1B goalie making 4.35 mils.

Reactions: nabob

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The D core minutes played is staggering. Nurse played over 29 minutes last night and Bear over 23. The rest were under 20. That is INSANE. We need another Dman not more bottom six help. That will get fixed with our depth but our defence is going to bring us down if we don't make a move

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
How's the Tomas Kahun experiment going, for all who were wetting themselves when we signed him?
8 games in and not a sniff. Shaping up to be the Tobias Reider for 2021, except Reider was relegated to 3rd and 4th line duty most of his tenure here. Kahun has some skating ability, and some shiftiness, but zero net presence, and I'm not even sure what his shot is like, as he's never been in position to use it.
Not only that, but he's got Tippett banging the proverbial square peg into the round hole and not putting Nuge in his place to really jack up that line. Right now it's Drai and Yamo pulling the freight, while McDavid continues to amaze with his end to end rushes and goals, while Nuge watches in amazement, and sometimes even picks up the odd assist here and there from touching the puck right before MacDavid takes off. Other than that, nearly all of Nuge's points have come on the PP.

I sincerely hope that Kahun can start to find the net sooner than later, as it is certainly in the teams interests, but this has all the makings of being a dog.

Most likely outcome is that he joins Khaira, Ennis, Chiasson, Shore and about 5 other guys on the roster/taxi squad who won't be offered renewal contracts. The revolving door will keep spinning but the good news is that we should be well under the cap next year so there is at least some wiggle room in terms of acquiring quality players.

Reactions: Draiskull

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The D core minutes played is staggering. Nurse played over 29 minutes last night and Bear over 23. The rest were under 20. That is INSANE. We need another Dman not more bottom six help. That will get fixed with our depth but our defence is going to bring us down if we don't make a move
Fixing the bottom 6 is definitely more likely though. Fixing the defense isn't going to happen in season.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
For one more year? Big deal. You can find ways to make it work. It's better than Smith not playing at all.

Yea, I bet that if Holland would had traded for Allen before the FA, for that type of money, you would had praised him [/sarcasm]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad