TSN Rankings

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If we're hoping for a high pick then best case scenario is finishing 2nd last because whoever finishes last is probably losing the lottery.

I know what you mean, but I still want the best odds.

Didn't they change the odds this year anyway?

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
This draft is supposed to be very strong, the higher the pick the better since that's really the best outcome we can expect from this season. Bouncing out of the first round of the playoffs doesn't help this team as much as being bad at the right time does.

I'd rather make the playoffs than be an embarrassment.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
They probably watched the Rangers game.

But, as a fan, I'm pretty down on the organization as a whole.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wow. I knew he was good, but that's very high praise.

Yeah people who follow the US program thought he was better than Jones at the same age.

He's been playing above his age class during all of his prime development years. He played varsity as an 8th grader for a prep school up in Massachusetts. He then went to the US program played with the U17 team for a little bit before making the jump to the U18 team as underager. He was their best defensemen for the year including during the U18 tournaments where he was one of the best overall out of all the players playing. Now this year he's playing at Boston College arguably the best college hockey program in the toughest conference in the country logging big minutes as a 17 year old. He'll more than likely be making the jump again next year to the NHL level as an 18 year old.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know what you mean, but I still want the best odds.

Didn't they change the odds this year anyway?

Yeah, I know, just joking.

Here's the new odds for each lottery team. Top 4 all have lower chances at the 1st overall, 5th through 14th all have higher odds.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

I'd rather make the playoffs than be an embarrassment.

I'd rather take short term pain to have a better chance at actually winning what matters.

Getting knocked out of the 1st round of the playoffs does nothing to get us closer to the Cup, getting an impact player will.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This team won't be McDavid (or Eichel/Hanifin) bad if Giroux remains healthy.

You never know. They're 26th out of 30 right now and 3 points ahead of 29th... so it's not out of the question. Take a second and imagine what the record would be like if Giroux and Voracek weren't off to such great starts... imagine if they go through a bit of a scoring drought or even slow down a tiny bit. The secondary scoring can't be relied on, the PK is trash, the defense is trash, the goaltending is up and down... so really anything could happen. Also, even if we don't get McDavid, Eichel, or Hanifin, there are other pretty good players in this draft.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yeah people who follow the US program thought he was better than Jones at the same age.

He's been playing above his age class during all of his prime development years. He played varsity as an 8th grader for a prep school up in Massachusetts. He then went to the US program played with the U17 team for a little bit before making the jump to the U18 team as underager. He was their best defensemen for the year including during the U18 tournaments where he was one of the best overall out of all the players playing. Now this year he's playing at Boston College arguably the best college hockey program in the toughest conference in the country logging big minutes as a 17 year old. He'll more than likely be making the jump again next year to the NHL level as an 18 year old.

As crazy as is sounds, I actually want the flyers to draft him more than McDavid or Eichel. There is a bigger bust rate for defensemen, but if you get a Norris caliber defenseman you are a cup for contender for 10 to 15 years. Also think of this: Neidermayer has 4 Stanley Cups versus Lindros's 0 while Doughty has 2 versus Crosby's 1. Since Devils in the mid90's the league has gotten more structured and defensive making defensemen the more important position in regards to winning cups.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As crazy as is sounds, I actually want the flyers to draft him more than McDavid or Eichel. There is a bigger bust rate for defensemen, but if you get a Norris caliber defenseman you are a cup for contender for 10 to 15 years. Also think of this: Neidermayer has 4 Stanley Cups versus Lindros's 0 while Doughty has 2 versus Crosby's 1. Since Devils in the mid90's the league has gotten more structured and defensive making defensemen the more important position in regards to winning cups.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know about that. I get what you're saying but when you have a chance at what could be a generational talent you kinda have to go with him. Imagine if you pass on a top 3 player and Hanifin ends up as just a good but not great defender. They'd be kicking themselves for years and probably lose their jobs.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
ehhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know about that. I get what you're saying but when you have a chance at what could be a generational talent you kinda have to go with him. Imagine if you pass on a top 3 player and Hanifin ends up as just a good but not great defender. They'd be kicking themselves for years and probably lose their jobs.

If they are in the top 2 they have to take one if those 2 centers for the reasons you just said. What would be a bold move though is to trade down to 3. Imagine the return you could get and then still walk a way with Hanifin. It would be the Lindros trade in reverse with the Flyers getting the ridiculous return and hopefully a couple of cups

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
You never know. They're 26th out of 30 right now and 3 points ahead of 29th... so it's not out of the question. Take a second and imagine what the record would be like if Giroux and Voracek weren't off to such great starts... imagine if they go through a bit of a scoring drought or even slow down a tiny bit. The secondary scoring can't be relied on, the PK is trash, the defense is trash, the goaltending is up and down... so really anything could happen. Also, even if we don't get McDavid, Eichel, or Hanifin, there are other pretty good players in this draft.

Flyers are only 5 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. The rest of the east is trash and I don't think the Flyers are going to stay as awful as they have been for the last week. I still think they'll sneak in to the playoffs. I firmly believe Giroux won't let this team miss the playoffs as long as he's on the ice.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If they are in the top 2 they have to take one if those 2 centers for the reasons you just said. What would be a bold move though is to trade down to 3. Imagine the return you could get and then still walk a way with Hanifin. It would be the Lindros trade in reverse with the Flyers getting the ridiculous return and hopefully a couple of cups

Even then I don't think I'd do it, but it's certainly interesting to think about. I wonder what would be coming back... The only problem is that the team your trading with was the third worst in the league so that team might not have much worth taking in addition to the 3rd overall.

Flyers are only 5 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. The rest of the east is trash and I don't think the Flyers are going to stay as awful as they have been for the last week. I still think they'll sneak in to the playoffs. I firmly believe Giroux won't let this team miss the playoffs as long as he's on the ice.

meh.... I guess we'll see.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Yeah saying there's nothing behind those two players is just flat wrong. For starters there's Noah Hanifin who people think is a better prospect than Seth Jones & Aaron Ekblad. This draft is much more comparable to 2013 than it is 2014, I expect about around 5 or so to be playing in the NHL next year.

Shame he isn't a righty like Jones and Ekblad. If he was, the ideal guy for the Flyers to target with almost everyone they have being a lefty.

Maybe its just me but I'd rather have McDavid.

McDavid or embarrassment? Hmmm tough choice :sarcasm:
Gotta go with McDavid >>>>> embarrassment

Really want more than one 1st rounder this year as it could be similar to 2003.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would happily miss the playoffs if it guaranteed a top two pick, but he odds of getting McDavid or Eichel if you miss the playoffs but aren't one of the three or four worst teams are very small.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Maybe if we didn't have Gostisbehere, Morin, Sanheim, and Hagg in the pipeline..but we do. Most defensemen drafted that high don't have nearly as big an impact as forwards drafted that high.

In the last 10 years we have seen the following defensemen go top 3..

2004-Cam Barker (3rd behind Ovechkin, Malkin)
2005-Jack Johnson (3rd behind Crosby, Ryan)
2006-Erik Johnson (1st ahead of Staal, Toews)
2008-Drew Doughty (2nd behind Stamkos)
2009-Victor Hedman (2nd behind Tavares)
2010-Erik Gudbranson (3rd behind Hall, Seguin)

Too early to tell on 2011-2014 but as you can see, in none of those situations, would the teams that drafted ahead of these defensemen have made out better by passing on the forwards they drafted and going with the top defensemen in the draft.

As clutch as Doughty is, Tampa Bay would not be anywhere near as good with Doughty in their lineup over their captain and most dynamic goal scorer in the NHL, Steven Stamkos.

Going back to 2006, don't you think St. Louis wishes they drafted Jonathan Toews over Erik Johnson? I know I do, the Flyers would likely have wont the cup in 2010!

There is absolutely no logic to justify drafting Hanifin over generational elite forwards like McDavid and Eichel.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe if we didn't have Gostisbehere, Morin, Sanheim, and Hagg in the pipeline..but we do. Most defensemen drafted that high don't have nearly as big an impact as forwards drafted that high.

In the last 10 years we have seen the following defensemen go top 3..

2004-Cam Barker (3rd behind Ovechkin, Malkin)
2005-Jack Johnson (3rd behind Crosby, Ryan)
2006-Erik Johnson (1st ahead of Staal, Toews)
2008-Drew Doughty (2nd behind Stamkos)
2009-Victor Hedman (2nd behind Tavares)
2010-Erik Gudbranson (3rd behind Hall, Seguin)

Too early to tell on 2011-2014 but as you can see, in none of those situations, would the teams that drafted ahead of these defensemen have made out better by passing on the forwards they drafted and going with the top defensemen in the draft.

As clutch as Doughty is, Tampa Bay would not be anywhere near as good with Doughty in their lineup over their captain and most dynamic goal scorer in the NHL, Steven Stamkos.

Going back to 2006, don't you think St. Louis wishes they drafted Jonathan Toews over Erik Johnson? I know I do, the Flyers would likely have wont the cup in 2010!

There is absolutely no logic to justify drafting Hanifin over generational elite forwards like McDavid and Eichel.

Not sure where you get your logic regarding Stamkos and Doughty. Since drafting Stamkos, Tampa Bay has missed the playoffs 4 out of 6 years. Since drafting Doughty, LA has missed the playoffs once and won 2 cups.

Here is another one: the 1991 draft. Lindros 1st overall, Neidermayer 3rd. If you remember correctly, the Devils dominated the Flyers during Lindros's time even when he was healthy. Neidermayer won 4 cups to Lindros's 0.

You are however right, there is a high bust rate for defensemen. That is why it is a gamble but if you hit, the reward is huge. Look at Crosby's career to date. One questionable cup run and a ton of ousters in the playoffs with hardly a whimper.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Time to bump....as sucky as it feels. Hopefully, better results next year....lots of work for Hextall in the next two to three years...

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I am the one where I think we will be a bubble team, fighting for the 8th spot and then barely missing out. The offense has alot of "ifs" and we are so focused on Giroux to socre that if we do lose him for any period of time we are screwed. We also are not super deep like we used to so losing someone like Voracek, Simmonds, etc will also hurt.

The defense is terrible. We all know this. Berube seems to still love the Coburn-MacD pairing that got eaten alive all preseason, Grossmann looks slower and DZ sadly stikl doesnt seem to understand defense.

I like Mason alot but we will be counting on him a ton. He slows down from last season and we will be gettinng scored on alot more. I do not know if the offense can keep up with that to be competitive. We are not the 5th worse team in the league but this team screams average.

I win.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The main reason this team is 23rd instead of fighting for a playoff spot is the terrible PK, which has not been related to goaltending. If someone predicted we'd be 28th in PK% then I'll happily call them a genius.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The good news is the Flyers aren't quite as bad as the 5th-place finish that TSN predicted.

The irony is that many (most?) of us wish they were.

maybe-just maybe-they go on an 8 game losing streak at the end here rather than the nice little winning streak they had a couple of years ago...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad