TSN Rankings

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The ranking at first blush seems harsh but it is plausible based on our less than "sexy" D corps. Berube has stressed team D as compensating....a D by committee. That is hard to sustain over the course of a season. Definitely, Mason will be the X factor like last season but his importance will be even more pronounced this season....

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
People really think the Flyers are not a playoff team? We've gotten better then last year and took the EC Champs to game 7. WTF is going on when Ottawa Nashville TO Washington and Calgary is ranked above us? Let alone the Islanders Blue Jackets Canucks Devils Jets and Red Wings.

PALE PWNR's Pale Power Pankings

LA
Chi
StL
Bos
Anh
Pitt
SJ
Dal
Mon
Col
Minn
TB
NYR
Phi
NYI
Det
Was
CBJ
NJ
Tor
Ott
Wpg
Nas
Fla
Ari
Car
Van
Cal
Edm
Buf

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
People really think the Flyers are not a playoff team? We've gotten better then last year and took the EC Champs to game 7. WTF is going on when Ottawa Nashville TO Washington and Calgary is ranked above us? Let alone the Islanders Blue Jackets Canucks Devils Jets and Red Wings

How are the Flyers better? Don't disagree with the rest.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
People really think the Flyers are not a playoff team? We've gotten better then last year and took the EC Champs to game 7. WTF is going on when Ottawa Nashville TO Washington and Calgary is ranked above us? Let alone the Islanders Blue Jackets Canucks Devils Jets and Red Wings

I agree this probably overstates how bad the Flyers will be. However, I still think the Flyers are going to have a really hard time making the playoffs with their defense. Losing Timonen will hurt, McDonald is horrible and if Mason reverts to form or is injured, or if either Giroux or Voracek missed any significant time the Flyers have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Shocking that TSN would rank the Flyers low after having such a great Top 50 players list... :sarcasm:

I couldn't care less about what people think about the team, people like to get on the hype train and overrate mediocre teams after they make a few changes in the offseason. When the Flyers make a bunch of offseason trades and signings they're criticized for trying to build a team the wrong way, but when other teams do it suddenly they're greatly improved. We've seen firsthand that it's the wrong way to build a team, but I guess some people are forgetting that and I've even seen complaints that the Flyers didn't do enough this summer even though they're finally doing it the right way and drafting/developing players.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
While I think 25 is too low, it is pretty clear at least on paper this is a "middle of the road" team. 10-20 I think would have been a fair ranking. 25 is a worst-case scenario, any higher than 10 is a best case scenario. 10-20 would not surprise. I think they are a playoff team, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were 17-20. Anything outside of 21 would be very troubling.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
How are the Flyers better? Don't disagree with the rest.

Umberger is a marginal improvement on Hartnell. We have a 4th line capable of playing this year and will have a better PP IMO with Streit at the top of the Umbrella. You expect increases in production from Schenn and Couturier as well as a few bumps in numbers from guys like Simmonds (Think he can push even higher with increased minutes at ES) Akeson, Raffl and Lecavalier. Our team defense is better the team just looks better conditioned and faster. We have a year under our belt with our new head coach and guys don't have to learn a new system.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Calgary above us... seriously. I think we should be ranked anywhere from 14th-20th, anything higher or lower than that is pretty silly.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Bob reverts to his 11-12 form then Columbus is screwed. But I guess regression only happens to current Flyers players or something.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Love it. They overachieve? It's a win. TSN's right? We're in the running for McDavid.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
While I think 25 is too low, it is pretty clear at least on paper this is a "middle of the road" team. 10-20 I think would have been a fair ranking. 25 is a worst-case scenario, any higher than 10 is a best case scenario. 10-20 would not surprise. I think they are a playoff team, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were 17-20. Anything outside of 21 would be very troubling.

Yeah 25th to me is worst case....but again it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Lots has to go right this year to make it into the playoffs. A 15-20 seems more likely. A 10 ranking is going to be extremely tough..

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Am I confident in our group? Not very
Will we finish that low? probably not

The truth is a lot of bubble teams got better, and we didn't.
Our season will depend on secondary scoring and good D.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah 25th to me is worst case....but again it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Lots has to go right this year to make it into the playoffs. A 15-20 seems more likely. A 10 ranking is going to be extremely tough..

A lot will have go wrong for us to end in the bottom five as well. It's going to be tough to out suck Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, etc.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
A lot will have go wrong for us to end in the bottom five as well. It's going to be tough to out suck Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, etc.

I would say if the goaltending goes south this team's achilles heel gets exposed that much more IMO compared to some teams where they can compensate a bit better than the Flyers...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad