TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeed

Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
that is for sure. I just find him a very cringe worthy person when he isn't telling a funny story about his career he really adds no insight what so ever to the show. Now it is a needed element the funny anecdotes etc, also noodles "youse guyses" is so bad

O-Dog adds a ton of insight. He's a former pro athlete who played in the Toronto market, and often talks about what goes on behind the scenes of a hockey team and also gives insight to how players truly feel outside of their "cookie cutter" answers that players give the media.

Hayes fits as the QB who directs the conversation and Noodles is the peanut gallery adding the occasional opinion.

They compliment (and rip on) each other really well and it's usually a good listen when all 3 of them are together.

And the Jonas polls are gold.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
The show was golden as Leafs Lunch. Average in the 4pm slot.
When anyone other than Hayes talks any sport except hockey it is cringe worthy which they have to do now.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The show was golden as Leafs Lunch. Average in the 4pm slot.
When anyone other than Hayes talks any sport except hockey it is cringe worthy which they have to do now.

Agreed.

They should have stuck to Leafs, and then branched out to hockey overall.

It's not much fun listening to them talk about other sports.

Hayes seems like a man on an island sometimes

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
The show was perfect when it was Hayes, O'Dog and Noodles on Leafs Lunch. They're not as good on Overdrive, they stumble talking through other sports, Hayes' charm is that he's a Leafs fan, keep him talking about the Leafs.

I could do without Noodles I suppose, he's like a boring housewife in bro drag with his dull insights, 'so and so is blank guy' 'I'm totes friends with name drop' 'this is the proper etiquette to be early to a party' he's like a nagging mom to Hayes and O'Dog's fun.

New Leafs Lunch? I used to pvr Leafs Lunch to put it on around the house with the old cast and I've been listening to it since the days Mike Augello would call in, this new cast is the worst it's ever been. Really checked out when Andi did her SJW rant, most people don't even use twitter so why do you abuse the platform of LL? Dreger and Poulin are pretty much universally hated by Leafs fans at this point, Sullivan is just a negative energy, Fetschuk okish but milk toast and even Bob McKenzie is annoying because it's clear that Bob doesn't really want to want to talk about Leafs minutia.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed.

They should have stuck to Leafs, and then branched out to hockey overall.

It's not much fun listening to them talk about other sports.

Hayes seems like a man on an island sometimes

they should split the show up in to 3 1 hour segments

1 hour Leafs talk all 3 in their comfort zone

2 Nhl talk all 3 still in there

3 Other sports and noodles & odog go home after 2.

Odog will be happy because he is Lazy (and occasionally does the panel) and noodles always leaves early or is away due to calling games anyway

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
also noodles "youse guyses" is so bad

Haha! I thought I was the only one who noticed this. I'm not sure if it's a folksy homage to his blue collar roots or if he truly mixes up the singular and plural.

I still like Overdrive. I don't listen to all 3 hours, but the first 1/2 hour is always good. The chemistry is strong.

Leafs Lunch - I prefer it over Hockey Central (Hockey Central loves to interview boring people talking about boring subject matter), but it's not a can't-miss show or anything. Sometimes Button's nervous, defensive laugh irks me.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Haha! I thought I was the only one who noticed this. I'm not sure if it's a folksy homage to his blue collar roots or if he truly mixes up the singular and plural.

I still like Overdrive. I don't listen to all 3 hours, but the first 1/2 hour is always good. The chemistry is strong.

Leafs Lunch - I prefer it over Hockey Central (Hockey Central loves to interview boring people talking about boring subject matter), but it's not a can't-miss show or anything. Sometimes Button's nervous, defensive laugh irks me.

im not sure anyone would have a problem if the whole show focused on hockey, I wouldn't. maybe like the old leafs lunch was followed by the hayes show they do 2 hours of overdrive and the last hour a hayes show still under the overdrive umbrella. maybe they can get scotty mac as a permanent co-host for the last hour he knows his bluejays and is pretty good with other sports

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Used to love this show but I've been liking it less and less, the only thing that keeps me watching is that Odog is pretty entertaining sometimes. I used to think Noodles was a really rationale nice guy, but he's been an obnoxious moron a lot lately. They like to take shots at analytics and like most people in the media who take shots at analytics they clearly don't understand analytics and the points they make don't make any sense. Noodles took a shot at people in analytics for bringing about the idea that goaltenders shouldn't play back to backs and said that those people don't understand goaltending, which makes zero sense because the numbers clearly show that starters are significantly worse in back to backs, that's why it's been so widely adopted. I pointed out to him on twitter how non sensical what he said was and he blocked me, that's pathetic.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If the leafs have an interesting game the night before, then I'll check out the Ferraro segment the next day. Otherwise I don't bother with the show.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Because analytics proponents are NEVER obnoxious morons when discussing them.

Used to love this show but I've been liking it less and less, the only thing that keeps me watching is that Odog is pretty entertaining sometimes. I used to think Noodles was a really rationale nice guy, but he's been an obnoxious moron a lot lately. They like to take shots at analytics and like most people in the media who take shots at analytics they clearly don't understand analytics and the points they make don't make any sense. Noodles took a shot at people in analytics for bringing about the idea that goaltenders shouldn't play back to backs and said that those people don't understand goaltending, which makes zero sense because the numbers clearly show that starters are significantly worse in back to backs, that's why it's been so widely adopted. I pointed out to him on twitter how non sensical what he said was and he blocked me, that's pathetic.

Reactions: colchar

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

he thinks he is the balance to 2 leaf fans, he isnt he is the unbalanced one who will always bring up other players/teams even when it isnt necerssary. He also takes shots at leaf fans for things ive never seen/heard leaf fans do.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Great show. Each member brings something all their own, and it blends really well.

Noodles probably blocked the guy above, there, for lashing out like a dink. Noodles is usually pretty great about engaging in conversation/debate if you're respectful and doing so in good faith. They're not wrong on analytics, though. And seeing as they're still connected to the game, some of you would do well to take notice that their importance in the game is far less than what you believe it to be. It's used, but it's a very limited tool.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
They need to go back to the 2 hour time slot at lunch, and only talk hockey. The shows glory days were back when it was leafs lunch

Reactions: Leafidelity

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Great show. Each member brings something all their own, and it blends really well.

Noodles probably blocked the guy above, there, for lashing out like a dink. Noodles is usually pretty great about engaging in conversation/debate if you're respectful and doing so in good faith. They're not wrong on analytics, though. And seeing as they're still connected to the game, some of you would do well to take notice that their importance in the game is far less than what you believe it to be. It's used, but it's a very limited tool.
So the fact that not playing goalies in back to back games has been so widely adopted by the league and yet Noodles thinks they're all wrong means that Noodles is connected and knows what's going on? That shows the exact opposite.

How is he not wrong about analytics? Explain to me how it makes sense to say that the people who advocate for not playing goalies in back to back games don't understand goaltending when the numbers clearly show that goaltenders aren't nearly as good in the second game? It was a ridiculous attempt to bash analytics, and Noodles was the one being a dink for saying what he said.

Reactions: Max Money

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
They need to go back to the 2 hour time slot at lunch, and only talk hockey. The shows glory days were back when it was leafs lunch

No. The problem with that is that hockey completely lacks entertainment outside of the game itself. The show has become funnier and has a wealth of good content because they talk sports in general, with a focus on hockey/the Leafs.

Reactions: francis246

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
So the fact that not playing goalies in back to back games has been so widely adopted by the league and yet Noodles thinks they're all wrong means that Noodles is connected and knows what's going on? That shows the exact opposite.

How is he not wrong about analytics? Explain to me how it makes sense to say that the people who advocate for not playing goalies in back to back games don't understand goaltending when the numbers clearly show that goaltenders aren't nearly as good in the second game? It was a ridiculous attempt to bash analytics, and Noodles was the one being a dink for saying what he said.

Beginning to see why you got blocked. Newsflash! Noodles was a goalie, knows goalies, and is REALLY well connected. That's not really debatable. There are situations where you can ride your #1 in a back to back, reasonably, and he talked a little about those situations.

Again, analytics is a helpful tool, but doesn't paint a complete, nor fully accurate picture.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hayes and O'Neill have great chemistry. They need to find a new third guy. Not really a fan of noodles. I think their best shows are when Craig button is on there as the third guy

Reactions: LondonKendrick

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Beginning to see why you got blocked. Newsflash! Noodles was a goalie, knows goalies, and is REALLY well connected. That's not really debatable. There are situations where you can ride your #1 in a back to back, reasonably, and he talked a little about those situations.

Again, analytics is a helpful tool, but doesn't paint a complete, nor fully accurate picture.
You mean for making intelligent, well reasoned points?

None of what you said about Noodles being a former goalie and being connected refutes anything that I said. There is a reason why so many people in management/coaching positions have signed off on this idea, because it's backed by good evidence. But no, you and Noodles know better.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
You mean for making intelligent, well reasoned points?

None of what you said about Noodles being a former goalie and being connected refutes anything that I said. There is a reason why so many people in management/coaching positions have signed off on this idea, because it's backed by good evidence. But no, you and Noodles know better.

Chayka.

And again... that proves my point. They're using analytics as a tool to comb the details. When it's been used extensively (Chayka, and Florida last year), it's fallen on its face

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Agreed. My eyes glaze over when they start talking about basketball or football. The boys aren't passionate or too knowledgeable about any other sport, so why bother? Stick with what got you there, and what all your fans want.

But I digress, it's still the best radio show in the city. Just not the cult fave it used to be.

Reactions: jaric1862

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Chayka.

And again... that proves my point. They're using analytics as a tool to comb the details. When it's been used extensively (Chayka, and Florida last year), it's fallen on its face

1. Basically the whole league has bought into the idea that you shouldn't play goalies in back to back situations, not just teams that are extremely dependent on analytics. The reason? Because it's really simple, the numbers show it's justified, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. There are no "details" that teams are missing.

2. The problem with the argument people make about how a team like Arizona not being good shows that analytics don't work is that noone ever claimed they were a magical tool that can automatically make a team better. Most of the time analytics support the opinion that most people who don't use analytics have about a player. Even if you are a big believer in analytics you may not get many opportunities to trade for a player that analytics show is much better than the team he is on thinks he is or sign a player that analytics show is much better than a lot of the league thinks he is, especially now that a lot of teams pay close attention to analytics.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Look, If a goalie faces 20 shots, and 8 of them are actual scoring chances, there's probably no issue in starting him back to back. It's that simple.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Analytics don't tell the whole story, and too many of those who adhere to them don't grasp that and think that they are the be all and end all. They are not and those who adhere to them would do well to remember the old line about lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The numbers might appear to show that starters are worse but those numbers don't take into account other factors like the play of their teammates, the fact that the other team might be well rested, etc.

Not everything in hockey can be reduced to numbers, we're not talking baseball here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad