TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jim Benning dyed his hair jet black for the draft and O-dog says he looked like Paul Bearer.

upload_2018-6-26_11-44-28.png

The link is absolutely hilarious… it is a must listen.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/overdrive-june-25-2018-hour-2-1.1122858

If you don’t have time to listen to the whole thing then just start listening at the 7:00 minute mark to the 9:20 mark then again from 26:20 to 27:42 to get the Benning/Bearer parts.

Rest in Peace Paul Bearer.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Jim Benning dyed his hair jet black for the draft and O-dog says he looked like Paul Bearer.

View attachment 126891

If you don’t have time to listen to the whole thing then just start listening at the 7:00 minute mark to the 9:20 mark then again from 26:20 to 27:42 to get the Benning/Bearer parts.

I was cracking up listening to that yesterday. Those guys are hilarious.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

View attachment 126891

Link to the video:
https://www.tsn.ca/video/the-boys-have-a-little-fun-discussing-jim-benning-s-hair-colour~1426059

Hayesy B losing it, gets me everytime

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

View attachment 126891

I love O-Dog.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
O'Dog is a tool bag but I do love him for this. I only wish I had caught it live with no warning. Priceless.

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010
I was out for a run while listening to this last night. I don't even want to know what people driving by thought of me.

Reactions: OddyOh

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I honestly don't get it when players go to these markets where nobody cares.

depends on personality I guess. If you could earn $5M in Toronto or $5M in Arizona but you also have a shy personality and don't like talking to the media then Arizona and its 4 people around your locker is better than Toronto and the 40 reporters including scum like Simmons and feshchuk hanging around.

Some may be all about the lifestyle that comes with a lot of money, Golf after practice or swimming in your pool in December. Fancy restaurants without being stopped by fans, even just one person stopping you while you are out with the wife/girlfriends could be annoying as hell.

Then some really are into the celebrity of it all, Lupul comes to mind

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
depends on personality I guess. If you could earn $5M in Toronto or $5M in Arizona but you also have a shy personality and don't like talking to the media then Arizona and its 4 people around your locker is better than Toronto and the 40 reporters including scum like Simmons and feshchuk hanging around.

Some may be all about the lifestyle that comes with a lot of money, Golf after practice or swimming in your pool in December. Fancy restaurants without being stopped by fans, even just one person stopping you while you are out with the wife/girlfriends could be annoying as hell.

Then some really are into the celebrity of it all, Lupul comes to mind
The one issue is you have 1 career. Is that what you want of your hockey career? To hide from the spotlight and never win in empty arenas? I don't want a player who wants that to be his career. We never hear about any athletes wanting that in MLB or NBA.
In Toronto you are treated like a movie star. I am like O-Dog, getting tired of hearing how great a place like Arizona is. They are such a nothing, irrelevant franchise.

Reactions: Sniper99

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I honestly don't get it when players go to these markets where nobody cares.
I don't either. You are just forgotten.
I see Mark Osbourne with huge lineups to sign autographs. LOL. Ask him if he wishes if he played in a place like Arizona. Your career mean sso much more in Toronto.
Imagine a MLB player telling the Yankees he wants to play in a place with less pressure.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The one issue is you have 1 career. Is that what you want of your hockey career? To hide from the spotlight and never win in empty arenas? I don't want a player who wants that to be his career. We never hear about any athletes wanting that in MLB or NBA.
In Toronto you are treated like a movie star. I am like O-Dog, getting tired of hearing how great a place like Arizona is. They are such a nothing, irrelevant franchise.

Arizona was just one example. Drew Doughty has 2 cups and I'd bet he gets noticed about 2 times a month in LA.

Some people are good at hockey and don't want to be treated like movie stars? not sure what's so hard to understand. Stamoks in Tampa wins a lot (no cup yet) but leaves the rink and no one knows who he is, probably gets mistaken for Sean Penn more than people want autographs for his hockey

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Its different personalities plus that is only if you are remember fondly.

Sure you have guys like Domi, Sundin, Joseph, Roberts etc. who can be loved in Toronto. But at the same time you have guys like Kessel, Phaneuf, Clarkson etc. who might not be remembered too fondly.

That being said we are talking about a true star and Toronto boy in Tavares. The first list of guys were remembered because the Leafs were winning and always in the playoffs. The 2nd list werent even though they still played good enough to well (except for Clarkson).

As stated Tavares is a star, from Toronto and barring some very unlucky injuries or significant fall from play the Leafs will be in the playoffs for the next 5-7 years and likely be Stanley Cup contenders. Tavares will for sure be treated well now and well after his career. So i can understand players trying to avoid a market like Toronto when they were mediocre or worse but not now, not when they are on the cusp of something.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Arizona was just one example. Drew Doughty has 2 cups and I'd bet he gets noticed about 2 times a month in LA.

Some people are good at hockey and don't want to be treated like movie stars? not sure what's so hard to understand. Stamoks in Tampa wins a lot (no cup yet) but leaves the rink and no one knows who he is, probably gets mistaken for Sean Penn more than people want autographs for his hockey
It's understood, the issue is people act like 100% of hockey players are like taht. I really don't think it is. The argument only is made of hockey players. No oe else.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's understood, the issue is people act like 100% of hockey players are like taht. I really don't think it is. The argument only is made of hockey players. No oe else.

oh no im saying some people/hockey players are like that. They all aren't, I think Kadri loves it here for that reason for example.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
So i can understand players trying to avoid a market like Toronto when they were mediocre or worse but not now, not when they are on the cusp of something.

That's my thought as well (and probably most of LeafsNation). If Tavares looks at this team and how it's situated right now, with the path to success laid out so perfectly, and decides he doesn't want to be a part of it...not that I'd question him, but I don't think there is ever going to be a better set of circumstances to add a superstar Free Agent to the Leafs.

When else is this team (or any other) going to have this kind of cap space with a window that will realistically be open for the entirety of his contract? San Jose has a great roster, but all their core players are either the same age as him or older, so they would need to go through a re-tool or rebuild during his contract. Boston is the exact same, though they have a couple pieces that are younger, they'll still need to re-tool at some point during JT's contract. Tampa doesn't have the cap space and would need to move 1 or 2 pieces off their roster. Dallas is my low-key darkhorse, as they have the space and their roster is younger than San Jose, but it's still older than the Leafs and I'd argue their D is worse than ours.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to staying where he's comfortable and can guarantee an extra year vs. coming home and being a part of a Leafs team that can end the drought, cementing his own legacy. To me, the answer is simple, but we'll have to see how much loyalty and staying with one team for his whole career really means to him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

View attachment 126891

Oh my god that was off the hook hilarity!

Reactions: phillipmike

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Listening to Leafs lunch today... Gord Miller is tough to listen to... Carlo Colaiacovo on the other hand is quite good!

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Yea TSN gives a bunch of former players a chance on radio i think i like Carlo the most out of the recent bunch also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad