News Article: TSN: Interview with Sean Avery

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

We need Mike Rogers, Pierre Larouche, Walt Poddubny, and Randy Gilhen.

Just when I started feeling young again, you drop this...

Where's my walker . . . ?

That doesn't really apply since none of us are professional hockey players, unfortunately for us.

Use your imagination and make pretend. Or, assuming you're a working professional, imagine one of your co-workers was Avery.

But I'd also probably be a terrible combination of miserable, distracted, frustrated and angry if I was playing against him and I do believe that element of Avery's game had its usefulness.

Followed up by complete joy when he's whistled for off-sides for the 9th time in 6 shifts, and then followed up by a penalty he didn't even earn, simply based on his reputation. Yea.

Ha, those names bring back some of my earliest Ranger memories. The '86 playoffs were one of those first memories, when Larouche came back from exile and went bonkers towards the end of that season and into the playoffs. Hes the reason I wore #24 during my player days.

Larouche... :handclap:

They don't make'em like they used to.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Ha, those names bring back some of my earliest Ranger memories. The '86 playoffs were one of those first memories, when Larouche came back from exile and went bonkers towards the end of that season and into the playoffs. Hes the reason I wore #24 during my player days.

When I was 12 my nickname was 'Lucky Pierre', I was a goal scorer with a wicked wrister;)

Talk about a team that got hot down the stretch. Barely made into the playoffs though but knocked off the top two seeds. Larouche Ridley Miller Brooke Vanbies were amazing, damn Habs.

*Bob Richards*

This thread is making me feel too young. Hell, names like Martin Rucinsky seem like ages ago.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
The game did not push him out. He pushed the game away.

Sean clearly says in the article he pushed the boundaries as far as he could, he couldnt fight the league anymore because they were clearly cracking down on his antics, and this made playing the game less enjoyable, to me that's the league slowly squeezing the life out of his game, which they clearly did as his career progressed and pushing him away, not the other way around.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Who's outraged?

And I did like Avery, but felt his thunder had fizzled. Don't put words in my mouth.

And when the hell did I compare Avery's antics to Bertuzzi? Reading comprehension. The purpose of that was to demonstrate how fans can become emotionally attached to what players say and do on the ice.

Well seeing as how Avery's antics were mostly verbal and Bertuzzi's problems were all violent actions, that's a terrible comparison. Reading comprehension.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Use your imagination and make pretend. Or, assuming you're a working professional, imagine one of your co-workers was Avery.

Followed up by complete joy when he's whistled for off-sides for the 9th time in 6 shifts, and then followed up by a penalty he didn't even earn, simply based on his reputation. Yea.

I admitted that if I was his teammate I probably wouldn't approve of his behavior. But I'm not and neither is anyone on these boards so the point is moot.

As far as the off-sides and the penalties, that's a fair critique and we can debate the pluses and minuses of him as a hockey player but a lot of other players do those things as well. Avery also drew a lot of penalties. I think when you take into account the overall impact of stupid penalties taken and penalties drawn we've had worse players than Avery on our teams. Ryan Hollweg was definitely one that jumps to mind.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Well seeing as how Avery's antics were mostly verbal and Bertuzzi's problems were all violent actions, that's a terrible comparison. Reading comprehension.

If you still don't get it, then it's safe to say you never will get it. Wow... Just, wow.. :dunce:

For what its worth, I just found the only jersey I've ever owned. #3 Patrick. With the "A"

James was the mother****ing man.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I admitted that if I was his teammate I probably wouldn't approve of his behavior. But I'm not and neither is anyone on these boards so the point is moot.

As far as the off-sides and the penalties, that's a fair critique and we can debate the pluses and minuses of him as a hockey player but a lot of other players do those things as well. Avery also drew a lot of penalties. I think when you take into account the overall impact of stupid penalties taken and penalties drawn we've had worse players than Avery on our teams. Ryan Hollweg was definitely one that jumps to mind.

There were 2 Avery's as far as I'm concerned. The Good Avery, who energized the team, drew penalties, and made solid plays on the ice.

And the Bad Avery, who was more concerned with trying to 'agitate' the opposition by taking stupid penalties, pissing off the refs, and ignoring the little things in his game that made him effective.

As far as a player goes, Avery's skill was overlooked. He was a decent skater, underrated passer, and hustled. A lot of those things were overlooked. He was a good player who eventually stopped trying to play the game of hockey, and focused on the game in his head.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Nice. That guy was solid as a rock. A really good two-way defenseman.

Considering the thread, I thought you were going to talk about your Avery jersey. :sarcasm:

He's no longer a moderator so he feels entitled to derail threads like the rest of us mortals. Consider it payback. :laugh:

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I liked how much he pissed our rivals off, but I never cared for what he brought to the ice.

Play the game, do it the right way. It's always been easier to root for the team without him in the lineup.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He was playing a part, not being honest. Similar to what Charlie Sheen was doing and Howard Stern has done for decades. Its just a bit, and they do it well, that's why it seems so natural. The narcissism takes over. Jagr was like this too, but in a different way. He sulked and withdrew when he wasn't getting his way.

And I never thought he got 'nasty', just annoying.

Don't get me wrong, having said all this, I think the guy was entertaining, but I don't ever want someone that selfish on the team again, I watch hockey to watch hockey;)

Exactly BRB, he did them as a Ranger, as a team member, not on his own dime and time.

Sad that the conversation now is still about the clown and not about why he was actually needed to give life to this organization at that time in the first place.

Well said.

Absolutely.

People have different ways of seeing things bluenote. On the subject of Avery--there's no opinion here that really catches the essence of his personality and how it informed his character, the camaraderie of the team or his value as a on ice player at various stages of his time here. Pretty much all the views expressed in this thread so far are slanted in one direction or the other. Again I liked him as a personality--on the other hand I think by last year he'd outlived his usefulness to the team. He certainly didn't seem to be in Tortorella's good graces and it's hard to argue with a coach when his team is winning a lot like they were without Avery in the lineup.

IMO Avery in his first stint with Renney as coach was a very effective player. He was slotted up and down the lineup and was a player that sparked the team on very many occasions. He became a catalyst. The Avery that came back from Dallas also sparked that team for that particular season but after that year it was diminishing returns and his relationship with his coach was a distraction. In any case there's some evidence to believe that Sean was distracted by other outside interests anyway. it was time for him to go.

You could parallel this case with that of Mark Messier--a much more revered player but his return from the Canucks help set our franchise back at least 3 years. He also had become a shadow of the player he once was and the Rangers locker room turned into a kind of country club--that probably was mostly the fault of the Rangers management and coaching staff but Messier's influence over the rest of the team can hardly be discounted. Avery never had the kind of influence or dominating personality that Messier had and his second go round caused little damage. Towards his end he was just shunted aside. Messier's return did do a lot of damage--unintended I'm sure but whatever. I don't particularly get the hostility to Avery from some quarters. His time here had some very positive results especially the first part. Even the second part the damage was minimal--less so than Messier's second turn with us or the crazy contracts and less than stellar performances that came from Drury, Gomez and Redden.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
My favorite Avery moment was last year, after Anisimov caused that massive scrum with Tampa, Avery walks into the room and gets this little grin. It was like the king of stirring **** up approved.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
He was always cool with the fans.

One game i was up in the 400s while he was injured, he randomly decided to go up to the 400s and hang out with fans and sign autographs during the game.

What player does that?

A guy who loves being the center of attention and having his name chanted at the Garden even when he can't be on the ice?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
My favorite Avery moment was last year, after Anisimov caused that massive scrum with Tampa, Avery walks into the room and gets this little grin. It was like the king of stirring **** up approved.

Yep, that was on the HBO show. He gave him the smirk of aproval, I was thinking about that incident last Saturday when we played Tampa. I think I was at that game.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
You could parallel this case with that of Mark Messier--a much more revered player but his return from the Canucks help set our franchise back at least 3 years. He also had become a shadow of the player he once was and the Rangers locker room turned into a kind of country club--that probably was mostly the fault of the Rangers management and coaching staff but Messier's influence over the rest of the team can hardly be discounted. Avery never had the kind of influence or dominating personality that Messier had and his second go round caused little damage. Towards his end he was just shunted aside. Messier's return did do a lot of damage--unintended I'm sure but whatever. I don't particularly get the hostility to Avery from some quarters. His time here had some very positive results especially the first part. Even the second part the damage was minimal--less so than Messier's second turn with us or the crazy contracts and less than stellar performances that came from Drury, Gomez and Redden.

Messier's second stint also popped into my head during this discussion but I figured I would get bombarded with twenty "OMG HOW CAN YOU COMPARE MESSIER TO AVERY OMGZ" posts so I didn't even bother. A large portion of our fan base have chosen to forget that part of Messier's tenure here.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Avery was Avery's own undoing. His inability to be affective in a different role and clashing with a coach who wanted nothing to do with his antics basically lead to his downfall. He was a good player that played well with in a certain role, but he was obviously doing other things behind the scenes that pissed many others off.

If he ever learned to play within those invisible boundaries, he could still be playing today.

robwrx04

Aug 5, 2010
CT
I really enjoyed watching Avery play. No one ever pissed off Brodeur like he did. He was extremely defensive of our good players.

He had his bad moments, a little more than my liking, but he brought enjoyment when he was on the team.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I was a fan of Sean Avery during his earlier stint with the Rangers. There was a time when I had even uploaded various game photos of him celebrating goals and trolling Brodeur to my facebook page. The three primary reasons why I lost respect for Avery and stopped being a fan of his?

- His interview with Larry Brooks about his time with the Stars where he admits that he was 100% responsible for what happened there and that he acted in ways to make the situation worse in their locker room and push people away. All because he said he didn't get along with a 'couple' of his teammates and it made him feel 'isolated'. I saw that as a huge sign of disrespect to the Stars organization, Brett Hull (who gave him a lucrative contract), his teammates, and the Dallas fans.

- The revelation that he had bullied & taunted his own teammate Dustin Brown about his speech impediment (as well as his girlfriend) and that it went so far as to lead to a fist fights amongst the players in the Kings locker room.

- The incidents on the ice where he would dive and/or embellish down on the ice to try and draw calls.

His actions to me speak to a clear lack of professionalism & integrity, on and off the ice. It's the disrespect that he has demonstrated towards his teammates (either directly or indirectly) that I find most unnerving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad