News Article: TSN: Interview with Sean Avery

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I still love the heck out of him. And in an odd way, he could've been exactly what we needed right now. But only for so long that it took for the team to wake up and remember who they are. Because as much as I love Sean, and as much as I hated how things ended with him, I actually came around to torts thinking that he didn't fit in overall with the direction of the club. At first I didn't agree with that statement, but when I saw how the Rangers played last year, when their identity was obvious, it occurred to me that I couldn't in fact see Sean fitting in with that. We were just a different team and were above his antics, so to speak. But for right now? For like 3 or 4 games? I would love a genie to make him magically appear.

Ok, so none of that probably made any sense, but whatever.

*Bob Richards*

I swear this guy is some kind of necromorph. He just won't go away....

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I loved Avery and still do. Good to see him being proactive in his life and happy. He's a good dude, and like he says, he was a **** talker and one of the best at it. I think he helped this team more than many want to believe.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I loved Avery and still do. Good to see him being proactive in his life and happy. He's a good dude, and like he says, he was a **** talker and one of the best at it. I think he helped this team more than many want to believe.

He also had some of the best players in the history of the game tell him to shut the **** up and play the game, and he just couldnt do it. Glad hes out of the sport.

His antics will last a lifetime with some people though.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Wearing #16 to the game today. As much as an ******* as he was, he sparked the team more than once and got the opponents off their game.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
He also had some of the best players in the history of the game tell him to shut the **** up and play the game, and he just couldnt do it. Glad hes out of the sport.

No one told him to shut the **** up and play the game. Steve Yzerman told him to just play the game because he had the skill to do that and didn't need to play with that much edge. But that was how he wanted to play. His antics get under those other player's skin and he has thrown other players off their game with his shenanigans which, in many cases, won the game for us. I'm not saying anyone has to love the guy, but i'm saying personally, I did/do. And i wish him the best of luck in the future.

SupersonicMonkey*

He was always cool with the fans.

One game i was up in the 400s while he was injured, he randomly decided to go up to the 400s and hang out with fans and sign autographs during the game.

What player does that?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Will always have a soft-spot for Avery. And I hated the way he was treated last season, but I'm okay with the fact that as long as Torts is here, Avery wouldn't be.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
In a sport where 99% of players spout the same bland, meaningless babble in every situation/interview, it was refreshing to have someone come in and rock the boat a little. I enjoyed the Sean Avery Experience while it lasted. He ran his course, made himself a boatload of money, and entertained a hell of a lot of folks (and that's what this is all about when it comes right down to it).

Hell, I know a couple of people who have become casual hockey fans after first being amused by Avery's sideshow.

All that being said, can we please stop talking about him?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
absolutely loved Avery and everything he did on and off the ice, its too bad the game basically pushed him out, glad to see hes doing well tho, i read somewhere else hes an advertising exec in NYC as well.

Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
I like Avery. I thought his antics went maybe a tad far sometimes, but I think that, overall, was the point. He wanted to push things too far to catch the other team off guard and get them off their game. He was a decent hockey player that brought something unique to this game. Sometimes I was frustrated with his consistency, but no more than players like Dubinsky or Zherdev, etc; I just think he got more attention for it because of the role he decided to play.

The being said... I'm glad he's off the team and would not want him back today. I think injuries and age caught up to him early in his career (similarly to Drury), and wasn't nearly as effective in the last few years of his career. Maybe Avery doesn't want to admit it, but I think more restrictive refereeing wasn't the only thing that dragged him down before his retirement.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
Is Avery gay? Completely serious question. The way those three paragraphs towards the end of the article are ordered totally makes you think it. He had to quit because of restrictions, he was sick of battling the restrictions, and so he decided to retire early and join an athletes' rights association that pretty much fights for gay rights.

I might be reading too much into this but my brows were definitely raised while reading it.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

He was always cool with the fans.

One game i was up in the 400s while he was injured, he randomly decided to go up to the 400s and hang out with fans and sign autographs during the game.

What player does that?

He's been the most fan-friendly, since, probably Barnaby..

I remember when Barnaby posted on the Rangers old BB. That was cool.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Is Avery gay? Completely serious question. The way those three paragraphs towards the end of the article are ordered totally makes you think it. He had to quit because of restrictions, he was sick of battling the restrictions, and so he decided to retire early and join an athletes' rights association that pretty much fights for gay rights.

I might be reading too much into this but my brows were definitely raised while reading it.

1. Who cares if he was gay? (Besides you, of course)
2. Restrictions - Torts wouldn't let him play 'his' game. That's what I took from the article.

Avery was on a leash. Not saying it was justified or not, but he didn't have the same amount of freedom from when he joined the team.

Still, one of the most overrated players that rocked our jersey in a long, long time. I was an Avery fan until his effectiveness cooled off.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

...not that theres anything wrong with that

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

Not only that, they told himn he was a good player, which Avery was a good player. When you have to first ballot hall of famers telling you to go out & play maybe you should rethink your position. That being said, there was a 3rd hall of famer named Bret Hull who told Avery to keep doing exactly what he was doing.

As much as I like the Avery him leaving hockey is best for everyone.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
One thing I would have loved to see would have been Avery against today's Devils. Imagine a team with Kovalchuk, Brodeur, and Clarkson vs Avery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->