News Article: TSN: Interview with Sean Avery

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
If Sean Avery would have worried more about playing the game of hockey, he would still be playing the game of hockey.

That ship has already sailed, sunk, and been turned into a man-made reef.

Championship*

Will always have a special spot in my heart for this guy

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
I miss the guy, he understood marketing and what the fan wanted more than any player during his era. Plus the whole fight for marriage equality is great, homophobia is a plague in professional sports and while he didn't directly took a stance on homophobia in sports itself, it's refreshing to see someone like him getting in the cause. Plus you know, he was playing some good hockey for us.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Sean Avery was a player who was good in the right doses. The problem was that he could not be kept in line---and in a way, I think that the Rangers mishandled the Avery situtation; they could have loaned him to another team's AHL affiliate while he was with the Whale instead of leaving him off the Clear Day roster and ending last season early for him.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
He was one entertaining character and one of the best ever at what he did. More importantly he was an effective player who contributed positively to this team. But there are many valid reasons why people dislike him to the degree that they have to enter threads about him just to complain about him.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Avery had a 10-cent head. Too bad. He rarely made hockey his agenda, which I think is a crime when you consider how many guys would have cut off a nut to get his opportunities and that contract.

Still, you cant deny he was a catalyst in the 2007 surge and beating the Devils in 2008.

Gotta tip your cap to him -- he found a way to take advantage of his 15 minutes

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Avery was fun. Never saw a player spark a lifeless team so immediately, and will always love him for giving Brodeur a taste of his own medicine.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sean is a complex guy. He can do some very good things and some pretty bad things in his life. There are things about Sean that are likeable and things about him that are not likable. Some people in this world just like to annoy other people. Look at how many trolls online get off out of annoying other posters. Sean did not just try to annoy opposing players. He had had disagreements on and off the ice with his own teammates, coaches, announcers, etc on multiple teams. Sean fans (I used to be one) see things the way Sean sees them. Like Sean voluntarily decided to move on to other things. The truth is closer to very few if any NHL teams want him.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Avery served the Rangers great in his role when he first arrived. Unfortunately most players like him have a short shelf life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad