[TSN]: Goals should be worth two points

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
And beards. Thornton and Burns should get 50 each for awesome beards. Each missing tooth is also worth 10. Cause like value to a hockey team.

Beards are great, but what a team really needs is a Lanny McDonald mustache.

lanny-mcdonald.jpg

I mean what’s the point in opposing teams even showing up? That’s gotta be worth 150+ points easy!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Good grief. It was commentary piece -- it wasn't a direct call to the NHL to take action. Have people lost the ability to understand things like editorials and opinion pieces? This is one commentator writing an opinion piece -- it is not a statement by TSN or Bell Media that this is a change that needs to be made. You can disagree with the concept all you want -- that is often the point of such writings, to prompt discussion. But to call for a man to be fired because he wrote something you disagreed with is simply ridiculous.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
Copy and pasted my reply from the Steve Dryden thread:
It is fine the way it is. A lot of the time the second assist is what caused the goal to happen. For example, player rushes up the ice, sets up player for quick one timer or redirect and goalie saves it/dman blocks it and someone else is there to bury the garbage. First player did most of the work and gets a second assist.
Another example, most common example, player battles in corner or behind net. Gets puck and passes it
back to dman who shoots on net. It's either redirected for a goal or pick up the rebound for a goal. Once again the second assist did most of the work.
So why should those goals be worth two and get rid of the 2nd assist? Keep it the way it is. The law of averages works itself out. Take a look at the leaderboards every year. Don't see anyone non deserving on there.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Just wow ...

If two players are tied in enough categories, they are sorted alphabetically. Extra points should be awarded to player's who's last name starts with A!

Reactions: dukeofjive

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
Also, by removing the secondary assists and making goals worth 2 points you are penalizing creative players. The most creative guys get lots of secondary assists.
In an era where we complain about lack of creativity and goals, why would we penalize the playmakers? Seems like a terrible idea.

Reactions: authentic and Elvs

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
oh the humanity!

what's next 3 points for a win? a trapezoid behind the net? shootouts to determine wins because many people were saying that the "fans" hate ties and the "fans" will love the shootout

all cockamamie ideas

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Would rather remove points entirely. Just have separate goals and assists columns. Art Ross can just be for most assists, which most of the time it is anyways... And keep the Rocket the same.

Agreed. 'Points' is a dumb idea.

Goals, assists, second assists. Just because a 2nd assist is 'just as important as the goal' one out of 100 times, doesn't mean it's generally as valuable. Should we give a point to the guy screening the goalie? I'd argue he's more important than anything else in the modern NHL.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Goals worth 3 points
Most important assist worth 2
Assist from guy just touched the puck 1 point
If Crosby is sitting on a the bench when the goal is scored he gets 1/2 a point because he draws the top defenders so the guy who scored, scored against a weaker defense

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, this won't go over well. Goals and assists have counted for 1 point each for yrs., no need to change it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Player A skates end to end dekes both defensemen takes a shot on net that rebounds out and hits player B in the back of the head and goes into the net.

So player B should be awarded more points because he got lucky?

Goals and assists cannot be judged so black and white like some people want and think should happen.

Some times the goal scorer does most of the work. Some times the player who gets the 1st assist did most of the work. Some times it is the player with the 2nd assist that did most of the work. And then even some times a player that doesn't even get a point does most of the work.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Would rather remove points entirely. Just have separate goals and assists columns. Art Ross can just be for most assists, which most of the time it is anyways... And keep the Rocket the same.

Incidentally, over the past 50 seasons, the player who led in assists (or was tied for the lead) won the Art Ross 30 times. In 8 of those 30 times, the winner also led in goals (Lemieux 2, Gretzky 5, Esposito 1).

Incidentally, only 7 times, did a player who only led in goals and not in assists win the Art Ross (Ovechkin 1, Iginla 1, Lemieux 1, Lafleur 1, Esposito 3).

Reactions: PensPlz

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Player A skates end to end dekes both defensemen takes a shot on net that rebounds out and hits player B in the back of the head and goes into the net.

So player B should be awarded more points because he got lucky?

Goals and assists cannot be judged so black and white like some people want and think should happen.

Some times the goal scorer does most of the work. Some times the player who gets the 1st assist did most of the work. Some times it is the player with the 2nd assist that did most of the work. And then even some times a player that doesn't even get a point does most of the work.
Agreed. Not all assists are equal, not all goals are equal. Some goals were almost all on the goal scorer other time the secondary assist guy did the most work. The current system is fine.

Reactions: Ratsreign and Elvs

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I could maybe get on board with getting rid of secondary assists (although all records would go out the window then).

An assist can very easily be more valuable than goal. As someone who gets to watch one of the best playmakers in the league on a regular basis, it's very common that the assist is what creates an easy goal.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Goals, assists, second assists. Just because a 2nd assist is 'just as important as the goal' one out of 100 times, doesn't mean it's generally as valuable. Should we give a point to the guy screening the goalie? I'd argue he's more important than anything else in the modern NHL.

Or you could just ... maybe not look at the points column?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Do you realize elite playmakers, the ones who think a couple steps ahead are the ones who tally any significant amount of secondary assists in a season? Mainly because they, you know, think a couple steps ahead of everyone. They will set someone up in a perfect position to set another player up, and they know exactly what they're doing. I've played the game and I was a playmaker myself, I know how it works, and so does just about anyone who plays hockey.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Mean while @TSN " I want to write an article about why Auston Matthews is better than Crosby and Mcdavid"
boss "but he had less points than mcdavid, significantly less infact. and Crosby also had more points AND more goals"
"I feel like if there was a way to qualify timeliness of goals and how they are scored I could prove AM is better than both"
boss: "well see what you can come up with kid"
"perfect Goals are worth 2 pts"

Reactions: Elvs

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think it's that hard to understand that goals are worth more than assists. For every goal scored, there can be 0-2 assists, but for 0-2 assists, there is only one goal.

Ties are broken with goals. If a player has 100 points with 35 goals and another player has 100 with 36 goals, the player with the most goals is awarded the Art Ross.

The system should not be changed though because it is very hard to quantify how much more a goal is worth than an assist. If you quantify goals, you also have to quantify primary vs secondary assist.
What if one player has 36 goals (the majority scored in 4-1, 5-2 games) with 1 game winner and the other player has 30 goals with 12 game winners?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What if one player has 36 goals (the majority scored in 4-1, 5-2 games) with 1 game winner and the other player has 30 goals with 12 game winners?

Goals are goals. The player who scored 36 goals scored more goals regardless of how many game winners he scored. Do people even count game winning goals? I don’t think they provide much unless it’s an OT winner.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Stats bros have been extremely clear that second assists are worthless and players who do them are human garbage. So, as a compromise, I say the NHL should keep documenting second assists as they currently do, but start subjecting players to supplemental discipline for doing second assists. Egregious examples of second assists, i.e. when goalies do them, or when players do them on the power play, would result in suspension. The NHL could put out a video for each suspension, explaining the rationale behind each one. Eventually, players would learn not to do second assists anymore. Problem solved.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Goals are goals. The player who scored 36 goals scored more goals regardless of how many game winners he scored. Do people even count game winning goals? I don’t think they provide much unless it’s an OT winner.
I don't know but some game winning goals are pretty important to me. Yes goals are goals but if one player has 4 hat tricks, is invisible for 3 weeks, scores 2 more, repeat and is basically a non factor in games they don't score vs. Someone who scores every other game, that's an important context to me.
Again goals are goals but not all are created equal. Players like Maroon,Kulemin,Clarkson have all scored 30 goals at one point but these were literally on the backs of the assist men.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Teams could also take action to reduce second assists. Much like the player of the game gets to wear an honorary hat (or whatever), guys who do second assists should have to do post-game interviews wearing a hair shirt, so that they know what they did was wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad