[TSN]: Goals should be worth two points

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Steve Dryden said:
First: While a player can score a goal without an assist, a player cannot earn an assist without a goal. One’s very existence depends upon the other.

Second: The NHL has made it official goals are valued more than assists: when two players are tied for most points in the scoring race, the Art Ross goes to the player with more goals – as has happened three times in NHL history. (Fantasy leagues the world over have made it unofficial: goals are universally worth twice as much as assists.)

Third: Hockey games are determined by total team goals, not total team assists. Goals are recorded on the scoreboard, not assists. And until assists are, it can’t be argued goals and assists are of equal value.
But they are in the scoring race, and as a result goal scorers are getting ripped off – a circumstance that has become more and more prevalent. Consider this: Only three times in the last 28 seasons has the NHL’s leading goal scorer doubled as its leading point producer. (As a point of comparison, when the NHL was in its infancy and assists parceled out parsimoniously, only three of the first 18 scoring leaders did not also lead in points.)
https://www.tsn.ca/goals-should-be-worth-two-points-1.887265

they have lost a lot of credibility since losing 75% of the NHL market, but this is a new low for TSN!

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is foolish. So you can measure goal scoring impact? Is our society so bad they can't determine 50 goals > 25 goals without a map?
You want to change something? How about making the points awarded for a regulation win (2) greater than the points awarded for going to overtime/shootout (3).

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I've seen plenty of goals where the primary assist guy did 10x as much work. So, I'm not on board with this.

None of the three "points" presented are particularly persuasive either. I honestly expected to at least have something to consider. "Hockey games are determined by total team goals, not by assists". I feel like that is supposed to be some really profound statement, but I think it's pretty stupid.

I could maybe get on board with eliminating the secondary assist, but I feel like this is just another "pretend like there's a problem and offer solutions" type thing.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think getting rid of secondary assists has merit. Making goals worth two points though... no.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I've seen plenty of goals where the primary assist guy did 10x as much work. So, I'm not on board with this.

None of the three "points" presented are particularly persuasive either. I honestly expected to at least have something to consider. "Hockey games are determined by total team goals, not by assists". I feel like that is supposed to be some really profound statement, but I think it's pretty stupid.

I could maybe get on board with eliminating the secondary assist, but I feel like this is just another "pretend like there's a problem and offer solutions" type thing.
As Eichel said, all goals are not created equal either.
What's the difference between a Kucherov snipe and the puck going in off your butt? Is that worth 2? 1.5 instead for crackin' one in the net with your rear end?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad