[TSN]: Drouin leads list of 10 under pressure this season

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The Leafs rookies all overachieved, were unusually healthy and the team made the playoffs in the most or the second most scrutinized market in all of hockey and none of them make the top 10? OK.

No, they did not overachieve, they just achieved. I expect even better numbers from them this season.

Leads are for real, get with the program.

But yeah, we managed to duck the injury bug last season. But we got depth to deal with injuries to.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The Leafs rookies all overachieved, were unusually healthy and the team made the playoffs in the most or the second most scrutinized market in all of hockey and none of them make the top 10? OK.

maybe, just maybe they are actually that good?

Don't really see people saying guys like Aho,Tkachuk, Werenski, Laine etc overachieved. so why is it the leafs?

How silly would it be to say a 20 year old should be top 10 in the league in being under pressure to replicate a great rookie year.

this seems like bitterness at not having any young guys even half as good as the leafs big 3

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
maybe, just maybe they are actually that good?

Don't really see people saying guys like Aho,Tkachuk, Werenski, Laine etc overachieved. so why is it the leafs?

How silly would it be to say a 20 year old should be top 10 in the league in being under pressure to replicate a great rookie year.

this seems like bitterness at not having any young guys even half as good as the leafs big 3

Because people confuse "overachieved" with "did better than I thought and I am never wrong"

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

How exactly did they over achieve? How do we know they didn't achieve exactly what their skill allowed?

They achieved what they achieved. Over achieving is a player getting 60 points when they have never broken 40 before (or something of similar vein)

marioni

Apr 3, 2011
Chevy shouldnt be on the list, I'd put Joe Sakic instead.

Also I'd remove Stammer, and put Ovi and Backstrom there. Time's running out.

Last edited:

marioni

Apr 3, 2011
The Leafs rookies all overachieved

If they completely fall off and never again produce at the same level - yes, they have overachieved in their rookie season.
But right now, they look like the real deal. In fact, I expect even more from them from now on.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If they completely fall off and never again produce at the same level - yes, they have overachieved in their rookie season.

But right now, they look like the real deal. In fact, I expect even more from them from now on.

So your expectations are higher but that's no pressure?

I guess people see what they want to.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Funny TSN does this list and avoids the ten plus Leaf players that all had career years and play under the intense scrutiny of hockey mad Toronto fans & media.

Too busy planning the parade.

It's funnier still that you two clowns are disappointed this is not a Leaf bashing thread and are trying to turn it into one.:shakehead

Yes our kids are under pressure but they share the burden. You could argue Matthews is under serious pressure but I don't think he is too stressed about it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So your expectations are higher but that's no pressure?

I guess people see what they want to.

I think you are under the misconception that the players know and worry about the fans expectations. These guys set their own expectations and their own pressure, it's not like Matthews will be traded if he doesn't hit 40 goals this year.

You are trying too hard to make something out of nothing.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't see how Stamkos is under pressure.

However, Ovechkin's got to be there. Not only is time running out on him winning a cup with Washington, but there's uncertainty about what happens to him if he leaves for the Olympics.

He will not go, Russian fed is not inviting him.

Still I agree that the pressure should be on him, he is not getting any younger.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Draisaitl needs to be on that list with his massive contract.
neeeds to Centre and drive his own line now, can't be earning that much money playing RW to McDavid.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Stamkos should be there absolutely. He's under pressure to stay healthy. I think a healthy Stamkos is key if the Lightning are to be a cup contender.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not that I think the Ducks have to be involved in everything but if we're talking players, I'd argue Corey Perry deserves to be there. He's making way too much money to have been as ineffective as he was last year. It makes me respect the rest of the players a bit more that they got themselves a stone's throw away from the finals without much contribution on his part.

member 147413

Funny TSN does this list and avoids the ten plus Leaf players that all had career years and play under the intense scrutiny of hockey mad Toronto fans & media.

I think there are too many "storylines" for a Toronto media to focus on, so a lot of the players won't feel the spotlight of pressure.

You've got Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Brown, Zaitsev, etc... can they repeat rookie success and can Brown and Zaitsev live up to the contracts (less of a story/concern)

Can Rielly and Gardiner take steps forward.

Will Marleau fulfill contract expectations (no, but the media will try to push it)

Does Andersen start out cold.

I think a lot of Leafs fans are really happy with the teams direction and we're playing with house money in regards to expectations. I don't think there's going to be any extra pressure on the players in Toronto.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I'd say the entire Maple Leafs team should be #1, they are already planning the parade in Toronto.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Some are already talking about a potential dynasty. :laugh:

And what is so funny with that? It is just more speculation of potential scenarios among many others. But having the young players we have today and the management group we have making the decisions it is not really far fetched to say Leafs will be a good team for a long time IF the players keep developing.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Drouin? I thought he was a risk/hope type. weird

I also think there's more hope around Drouin than pressure. Habs fans hope he'll be a #1 C. But if it doesn't work, he'll still be a very good winger.

Nobody expect Drouin to carry the team. Pressure is still on Carey Price. Habs fans expect him to be the best in the world. Now that's pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad