[TSN]: Drouin leads list of 10 under pressure this season

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Man I gotta go with Toronto and Edmonton as #1 & #2 living up to their fans expectations...massive pressure on TO players and management to perform and make the playoffs again.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Agreed especially seeing that Jonathon Drouin has never played a day of C at the NHL in his entire career. And now expecting him to be the Habs 1C is totally ludicrous.

Huh? Drouin has quite a bit of experience at C for a 22 year old. 1 of his dominant junior years was at C, his AHL season was at C, and he's even had a dozen or so games at C in the NHL.

His game has always been best suited for C.

It's not like we're trying to make Pacioretty a C or anything.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Most Leafs fans expect more of the same team they saw last year.

Frankly I think you're both a bit jealous/bitter of the clouds we're on over here. Nothing but excitement and optimism in Toronto.

What? Did you even read the main board lately? You would think Auston Matthews is already the best Maple Leaf of all-time and that the Leafs are already a dynasty...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
To draw a clearer picture, after the trade, Michel Bergeron on TV asked Drouin point blank if he was gonna be the next Guy Lafleur. I was shocked Drouin didn't have a heart attack just there and then.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What? Did you even read the main board lately? You would think Auston Matthews is already the best Maple Leaf of all-time and that the Leafs are already a dynasty...

Yawn. Matthews broke Leafs rookie records. How many people have said dynasty? Show the class. Some of you have this bizarre fascination with the Leafs. If you didn't, you'd stop going into threads that were obviously about the team. I came in here with zero intention of talking about the Leafs, but here we are. Posters like you and a few others are what drags this site down. You guys really need to get over the Leafs, because we don't even think about you.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Drouin will either excel or wither under the pressure as French Canadian kid put into this position of being the Habs top centre. We will find out what this kid is really made of this season with the pressure he will be under. I truly hope he succeeds because if he doesn't his confidence will be shot and so maybe his carrier. The Habs look desperate right now to solve their problem at top C.

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
And this is why Toronto’s management has been great. The most high pressure market and somehow they’ve managed to ease all these youngsters in and not put too much pressure on any one member.

Great work guys :)

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
And this is why Toronto’s management has been great. The most high pressure market and somehow they’ve managed to ease all these youngsters in and not put too much pressure on any one member.

I agree, this management team is the best I've seen in my lifetime. I'm over fifty. But if the Leafs regress this year which is totally possible with such a young team will the fan base and Toronto media be patience enough to let them work their way through it even if they miss the playoffs or will they demand change?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Huh? Drouin has quite a bit of experience at C for a 22 year old. 1 of his dominant junior years was at C, his AHL season was at C, and he's even had a dozen or so games at C in the NHL.

His game has always been best suited for C.

It's not like we're trying to make Pacioretty a C or anything.

4 games is a dozen?

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

The hyperbole is strong in this one. I am guessing you saw one poster say that Matthews is the best Leaf of all time right? That is usually how these things go :laugh:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree, this management team is the best I've seen in my lifetime. I'm over fifty. But if the Leafs regress this year which is totally possible with such a young team will the fan base and Toronto media be patience enough to let them work their way through it even if they miss the playoffs or will they demand change?

The fans will be fine beyond a few children who post here. The media in Toronto is a joke and should be ignored at all costs.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Man I gotta go with Toronto and Edmonton as #1 & #2 living up to their fans expectations...massive pressure on TO players and management to perform and make the playoffs again.

Of course there's pressure on the Leafs to make the playoffs again. They're a playoff team again, so of course there's pressure to make the playoffs. 20 teams in the league have pressure to make the playoffs. Blah blah blah Leafs media and fans blah blah blah, not nearly enough to make it on to the list.

If you're taking that stuff seriously, that's your fault. That might make a list of "Top10 outlandish and homerish claims on HF" but it has nothing to do with the real NHL.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Chevy shouldnt be on the list, I'd put Joe Sakic instead.

Also I'd remove Stammer, and put Ovi and Backstrom there. Time's running out.

Chevy should not be on list agreed ....unless he doesn't pull the plug early on Maurice if the Jet's stumble out of the gate.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The hyperbole is strong in this one. I am guessing you saw one poster say that Matthews is the best Leaf of all time right? That is usually how these things go :laugh:

Yeah and that's coming from a guy who said himself that price is the best player in the league. You can't make this stuff up

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
To draw a clearer picture, after the trade, Michel Bergeron on TV asked Drouin point blank if he was gonna be the next Guy Lafleur. I was shocked Drouin didn't have a heart attack just there and then.

Did hr really ask that? :laugh:

Bergeron should not be given a mic lol

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, they did not overachieve, they just achieved. I expect even better numbers from them this season.

Leads are for real, get with the program.

But yeah, we managed to duck the injury bug last season. But we got depth to deal with injuries to.

See no pressure!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

In all honesty he probably does go down as the best leaf of all time, the odds are in his favor assuming he stays healthy and sticks with the organization for 10 + seasons. Which really is shocking considering how long the franchise has been around.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Management has been great, insulated them with veterans this season too. The media not so much 'plan the parade' then TSN runs the story by the Sun. Then TSN doesnt include any leaf in the top 10 for pressure this season. Bipolar network? haha.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Most Leafs fans expect more of the same team they saw last year. Montreal and Ottawa both need certain players to be something they've never been before. Be it a 1C or a 2D. Probably why the tone of each team forum is so different these days. Growth vs replacements.

Frankly I think you're both a bit jealous/bitter of the clouds we're on over here. Nothing but excitement and optimism in Toronto.

Lol double standard much.

Ottawa and Montreals youth/top prospects wont help the team grow but the leafs will. Drouin is a stud, too much talent not to succeed if he has a coach that believes in him. All you have to do is watch the player to see it. Hell just watch his youtube highlites from his goals and assists this year, its him driving the play 9 times out of 10.

As for the Sens the idea that Paul, Claesson, Chabot and White wont help this season but leaf fans expect their prospects and young player to contribute and evolve is so hilariously one sided.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Drouin seems to be serious about his new role as 1C, he worked on leg strength during the Summer, bulked up to 203 and measured up at 6' even at camp. Everybody else seems to be as per last year or just about, so this is either a weird case of tire pumping or Drouin really has grown/bulked up. He's on a line with Pacioretty and Hemsky...

The pressure will be even greater if they light it up during preseason.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Drouin seems to be serious about his new role as 1C, he worked on leg strength during the Summer, bulked up to 203 and measured up at 6' even at camp. Everybody else seems to be as per last year or just about, so this is either a weird case of tire pumping or Drouin really has grown/bulked up. He's on a line with Pacioretty and Hemsky...

The pressure will be even greater if they light it up during preseason.

I don't know I am a huge fan of Drouin as he is my favorite player I have ever watched with the Mooseheads....but I just personally do not think he is a center at all. Like I just don't see it working. I get that they are desperate for a 1C but I just think he is a winger through and through having watched him in Halifax and since he entered the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->