TSN: Bob McKenzie Top 30 Thread

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Unless Button was one of 10 scouts Mac based his ratings on

As I said above I would be surprised if every scout had Grigs all over the place(ie one scout ranks him 3rd, the next 20th, the next 7th, the next 14th, etc)

I'm pretty sure McKenzie specifically said NHL scouts...and not 10 guys he knows that have an educated opinion.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Not really surprised to see Grigorenko slip. His Russian background and that playoff run (regardless of the mono) gave more than enough reasons for some to drop him down. Any weaknesses in his game wasn't enough to bother the scouts into dropping him before, but only when he gets sick does he start going down. Weird that Yakupov and the rest of the injured stars of this draft didn't follow him too.

Interesting list overall though. Maybe the only real surprises was Reinhart getting into the top 5 and Maata sitting at 10.
I'm pretty sure McKenzie specifically said NHL scouts...and not 10 guys he knows that have an educated opinion.
Well Button is a former NHL scout so they might count that as being close enough. Wouldn't be a surprise if they polled a guy from down the hall :laugh:.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not really surprised to see Grigorenko slip. His Russian background and that playoff run (regardless of the mono) gave more than enough reasons for some to drop him down. Any weaknesses in his game wasn't enough to bother the scouts into dropping him before, but only when he gets sick does he start going down.

I think Woodlief summed up Grigs perfectly in a chat he had earlier today. He said Grigs would have a career like Turgeon or Yashin(basically put up alot of points) but not really show up when it counts.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Some surprises, but for the most part followed my draft predictions. As far as goalies go, I think Dansk will actually be the best of the big 3, but I guess I am a bit of an oddball from that perspective.

One guy who really jumped is Girgensons, who I had all the way at 20 on my board. Grigorenko should be higher, regardless of the russian factor. No way he does not go somewhere in the top 10.

Wilson is another guy who seems to have moved up a little, should be interesting to see how he develops.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Admittedly I haven't seen him play, but 0 points in 41 games and a -8 doesn't seem "fine," and I can see how that would scare some scouts.

Lets not forget that he's 17 years old playing against men. That's not easy. Also take into account that the SEL is a very defensive league and it isn't easy to put up points. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was getting VERY little ice time.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
i would cry tears of joy if washington got grigorenko, he may be the answer to our #2 center problem.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Let's just agree that this draft is going to be a wild one and we're probably not going to see a top ten that goes

Yakupov Forsberg Galchenyuk Murray Grigorenko Dumba Trouba Teravainen Reinhart Rielly
(my view on what HF's overall consensus is)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Let's just agree that this draft is going to be a wild one and we're probably not going to see a top ten that goes

Yakupov Forsberg Galchenyuk Murray Grigorenko Dumba Trouba Teravainen Reinhart Rielly
(my view on what HF's overall consensus is)

Maybe those guy won't be taken top 10, but I would bet they taken top 11(ie one player may slip in)

void

Jan 5, 2006
You guys have to remember that this was just a ranking of talent. McKenzie's mock draft (revealed tomorrow) will probably give us a better indicator of how team's will be drafting.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You guys have to remember that this was just a ranking of talent. McKenzie's mock draft (revealed tomorrow) will probably give us a better indicator of how team's will be drafting.

The mock draft is Pierre Macguire and Craig Button, one does all the even picks and the other does the odd ones. Given Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto are odd teams I assume they get Pierre. The fact Craig Button is part of the mock draft ruins any good feelings I have for it.

In all reality why not just let them both do their own mock drafts and discuss it

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The mock draft is Pierre Macguire and Craig Button, one does all the even picks and the other does the odd ones. Given Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto are odd teams I assume they get Pierre. The fact Craig Button is part of the mock draft ruins any good feelings I have for it.

In all reality why not just let them both do their own mock drafts and discuss it

Much prefer to do that.

Gotta give credit to the guy that did last years write ups. He was one of the very first that spoke about Grigorenko falling...

I got crucified for posting that thread...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1123285&highlight=

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It will be fun to look back on this draft in a few years. I think in someways it will be like every other draft - someone near the top will bust; someone at 15-30 will burst out; someone will slip through the draft cracks and come up with a decent career.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I think Woodlief summed up Grigs perfectly in a chat he had earlier today. He said Grigs would have a career like Turgeon or Yashin(basically put up alot of points) but not really show up when it counts.

How can one predict something like that pre-draft? Too narrative-heavy

Oct 18, 2011
Why are you guys surprised by Reinharts position? he's done nothing but draw rave reviews and just had a strong playoff run, 4 is a perfectly good position for him

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Much different than I expected from McKenzie this year.

I like Hertl being moved up though.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

Good reminder.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton

Ugh they're bringing in Pierre to do the draft?

I can pretty much guarantee with absolute certainty that Pierre will pick Murray #1 overall for the Oilers which will really throw off the rest of the mock's validity.

(Whether you think it's a good ideaor not, you have to agree that It's most likely that Oilers take Yakupov first on Friday)

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Admittedly I haven't seen him play, but 0 points in 41 games and a -8 doesn't seem "fine," and I can see how that would scare some scouts.

Yet he outscored alot of the 'elite' players from the OHL in the wjc20 and u18 :D

With Collbergs tools, he would outscore Landeskog in the OHL for example.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Galchenyuk 5th. Grigorenko is falling even in this...

''Several scouts think Galchenyuk is equal to Yakupov in offensive upside.'' (paraphrased)
This is what I don't understand. Every year we see the pre-season prospect rankings and by the end of the season half the players have dropped out of the top 10 and in some cases out of the 1st round(I recall David Musil was considered a lock for top 5 pick and dropped to 31)
I guess Galchenyuk could do no wrong this year since he didn't play. Yakupov proved he didn't need an elite talent on his line to have a succesful season. Seems risky to me

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
This is what I don't understand. Every year we see the pre-season prospect rankings and by the end of the season half the players have dropped out of the top 10 and in some cases out of the 1st round(I recall David Musil was considered a lock for top 5 pick and dropped to 31)
I guess Galchenyuk could do no wrong this year since he didn't play. Yakupov proved he didn't need an elite talent on his line to have a succesful season. Seems risky to me

Galchenyuk does not need Yakupov. He was amazing in minor midget without Yakupov and they didn't even play on the same line in their rookie seasons.

EDIT: They didn't consistently play on the same line in their rookie seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad