TSN: Bob McKenzie Top 30 Thread

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Don't blame McKenzie, he just brings the message from the scouts he talked to. But I agree that he didn't have a horrible playoffs at all, but it's easy to blame him after the Remparts chocked away a 3-0 lead against Halifax.

2 of Quebec's overagers (Roy and Barnard) were seriously injured and Grigo had mono. When your two best players and one of your top 3 defensemen are injured/ill, it might get difficult. Quebec's best player in these playoffs was also suspended for the 7th game. They got to 3-0 because their 3rd line and the PP were scoring the goals.

Halifax' best players were healthy. Halifax had 20 yo veteran Critchlow to rely on for the 7th game, Quebec had 2 16 yo.

I a normal world, people would understand and not blame the result on a 17 yo, but it looks like it's too much to ask...

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
The Grigorenko hate is ridiculous. The kid is a stud. If 10pts in 11 playoff games playing through Mono is considered a horrible playoff, then what in the world is his good/great playoff performace potential??

He obviously wants to play in the NHL and stay in North America, even wearing a red maple leaf shirt at the combine as a joke.

If he falls out of the Top 10 there are going to be a lot of teams shaking their heads in a few years, and one very lucky team that is smart enough to pick him.

I'm a huge Leafs fan and if Grigorenko is the 1 remaining from the Big 5 as I expect and the Leafs pass on him for Dumba I will hulk smash my coffee table.

Pick Grigorenko! Kid is a stud!!

/rant

im a leaf fan, and a burke fan

if the leafs dont take him at 5 if he is available the media and fans will eat him alive. its hard enough as it is to argue the positives so far, little passing on a 6'3 potential top 3 center

People are putting two and two together without thinking. Reinhart was invited to Edmonton so they can get an idea of what they would trade for another pick should he be available.

Reinhart was never invited to Edmonton, he played there the entire year for the Oil Kings. Head scout Stu MacGregor said specifically that he was one of the players they were considering at #1. There's nothing that needs to be put together.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Apparently some scouts think he can turn into a Shea Weber.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will say that I do like Reinhart more then both Cowen and Schenn at this time when they were draft eligible.

Still don't see an offensive side to his game though...

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
I guess what I'm getting at is signs seem to point to considerable hand-wringing by several teams in the top half of the draft (including the Oilers) over the so-called top-end offensive talent. It's to the point that d-men such as Murray and Reinhart have a legit chance to be taken in the top three selections.

I think you're right about That.

tlureb

Dec 24, 2010
Yeah - not like he underperformed in the last half of the season and playoffs. It couldn't be that teams are worried about his nationality, competitiveness and bravery - why would a team with a top ten pick worry about that?

Jean Béliveau, Phil Esposito, Mario Lemieux, ...kinda lazy and cowardly, but 'not being Russian' took 'em over the hump to stardom. As you cunningly state, for the scouting community and its extended family...you the sapient lot, the Russian nationality impedes rather than nurtures mankind's Hockey progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
im a leaf fan, and a burke fan

if the leafs dont take him at 5 if he is available the media and fans will eat him alive. its hard enough as it is to argue the positives so far, little passing on a 6'3 potential top 3 center

No. Its partly because of the media that Grigorenko's stock has fallen as much as he has. Its only the HFboards obsessives that are going to care.

All signs point to Grigorenko not being picked in the top 5 (or even the top 10). You might as well get used to the idea of the Leafs passing on him now, because he's not coming here.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
No. Its partly because of the media that Grigorenko's stock has fallen as much as he has. Its only the HFboards obsessives that are going to care.

All signs point to Grigorenko not being picked in the top 5 (or even the top 10). You might as well get used to the idea of the Leafs passing on him now, because he's not coming here.

Top 5 is a bit out there, but Top 10 is very possible.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
2 of Quebec's overagers (Roy and Barnard) were seriously injured and Grigo had mono. When your two best players and one of your top 3 defensemen are injured/ill, it might get difficult. Quebec's best player in these playoffs was also suspended for the 7th game. They got to 3-0 because their 3rd line and the PP were scoring the goals.

Halifax' best players were healthy. Halifax had 20 yo veteran Critchlow to rely on for the 7th game, Quebec had 2 16 yo.

I a normal world, people would understand and not blame the result on a 17 yo, but it looks like it's too much to ask...

I didn't blame him at all, I'm just saying what Bob was told from his scouts..

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

Not in the top 10? Oh good, because the Caps have 11, and are desperately short of center depth. Not to mention that they're not as scared of Russian players as people think most teams should be. At one point a lot of people were making the argument that grigorenko was good enough to go one overall. He gets injured and sick and all of a sudden he drops down the charts. Could happen to anyone. That said, i still think Grigorenko is gone pretty early. He almost certainly wont fall to 11.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

which would be a massive ****ing mistake.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Jean Béliveau, Phil Esposito, Mario Lemieux, ...kinda lazy and cowardly, but 'not being Russian' took 'em over the hump to stardom. As you cunningly state, for the scouting community and its extended family...you the sapient lot, the Russian nationality impedes rather than nurtures mankind's Hockey progress.
Explain the love for Yakupov if nationality is such a factor.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Reinhart was never invited to Edmonton, he played there the entire year for the Oil Kings. Head scout Stu MacGregor said specifically that he was one of the players they were considering at #1. There's nothing that needs to be put together.

This was all about enticing Anaheim. Most NHL teams have Reinhart in that range, and Edmonton was putting it out that they'd be willing to move down as far as #6.

Trade #1 for #6 and Bobby Ryan...Oil then draft Griffin.

Oil already has enough smallish sniper types, but lack power forwards and big talented defensemen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This was all about enticing Anaheim. Most NHL teams have Reinhart in that range, and Edmonton was putting it out that they'd be willing to move down as far as #6.

Trade #1 for #6 and Bobby Ryan...Oil then draft Griffin.

Oil already has enough smallish sniper types, but lack power forwards and big talented defensemen.

Haha. Of course you would. Edmonton needs to add A TON.

tlureb

Dec 24, 2010
Explain the love for Yakupov if nationality is such a factor.

There is very little love in an 'affirmative action', 'feel good' strategy. It hides more than it shows. On the pure merit of sheer career expectancy, Yacupov's frenzied moxy should be rated as 'shooting star' material. Spectacular, ...and then it passes you by on its way to the infirmary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad