TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
And Geoff Molson continues with Bergevin.Does Bergevin have something on Geoff or what?How long is he going to put up with the team he owns being the laughing stock of the NHL?
Some owners want to win championships. Molson isn't one of them. So long as the Habs keep making $$ (and they will), then he doesn't seem to care.
Don't worry though because we are getting better hot dogs. I can't imagine because the current ones are $10 for what I can only consider the slider size version of a hot dog.

Reactions: lo striver

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
THEE laughing stock of the entire league???

How do you figure?
Where’s this proof that it’s THEE laughing stock.....I need to see this factual information. I mean, I don’t even know how you measure that lol

Was tied with Chiarelli in a ranking last year, as the two worst GMs in the league. It's not far-fetched.

Reactions: Pickles and jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The joys of being John Still doing a 690 sportscast. Just now:

"I'm John Still. It's nil nil, still."

And of course, there is nothing worth discussing during one of the NHL's most important weeks, namely between the draft and the UFA frenzy, so Marinaro turns to the usual superlative BS. The predictable trash questions that involve the "best" and "worst" of something, someone. Tsakilis does it all the time. It's the truest indicator that like MB, none of these "hosts" have planned anything.

Thanks for winging it, chaps. And for having your interns read the internet for us.

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The joys of being John Still doing a 690 sportscast. Just now:

"I'm John Still. It's nil nil, still."

And of course, there is nothing worth discussing during one of the NHL's most important weeks, namely between the draft and the UFA frenzy, so Marinaro turns to the usual superlative BS. The usual trash questions that involve the "best" and "worst" of something, someone. Tsakilis does it all the time. It's the truest indicator that like MB, none of these "hosts" have planned anything.

Thanks for winging it, chaps. And for having your interns read the internet for us.
Almost as bad as Marinaro's twitter rant the other day about what went down with the Pacioretty non-trade to LA. Tony went on for three or four tweets in great detail and when someone tweeted back to ask him what his source on this story was, he said "I am the source". Then someone referenced another source from the fourth period who said that as far as they could glean, none of what Tony alleges to have happened ever took place. Tony's answer was "Believe what you want. Now go fly a kite". He basically admits that he's just pulling stuff out of his hind quarters. He didn't even claim to have a source on the inside. Nope. Just "I am the source". Incredible.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Almost as bad as Marinaro's twitter rant the other day about what went down with the Pacioretty non-trade to LA. Tony went on for three or four tweets in great detail and when someone tweeted back to ask him what his source on this story was, he said "I am the source". Then someone referenced another source from the fourth period who said that as far as they could glean, none of what Tony alleges to have happened ever took place. Tony's answer was "Believe what you want. Now go fly a kite". He basically admits that he's just pulling stuff out of his hind quarters. He didn't even claim to have a source on the inside. Nope. Just "I am the source". Incredible.

He likes to think that he has credibility on account of name recognition. You can be on the radio all you want, you still have to put in the hard work, dig up sources and give credit to where credit is due. And if you're going to come out with a contentious story, it would behoove you to have consulted multiple sources. And where none are available other than your hind quarters then your opinion is no better than that of your worst caller.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Ah yes . His great source of what exactly happened , then Bernstein and La sources are saying the exact oposite..... :)

My favorite was his take last January that Radulov wanted 8 year extension . No shit sherlock ... Lol mid year rolling on all cylinders and he wants max term ?
Its called negociation lol He made it seem like he was breaking the most private of secrets

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just heard Jérémy Rainville of 98.5FM interviewing Benoît Brunet and was trying way too hard to impress him with his broken English, when he alluded to the t-shirts that players are sporting at the Habs's training camp and said "Hattitude is Heverything." Jeez, if you can't say it, don't attempt it.

Last edited:

Ronharveyjr

Jan 16, 2018
I just heard Jérémy Rainville of CKAC interviewing Benoît Brunet and was trying way too hard to impress him with his broken English, when he alluded to the t-shirts that players are sporting at the Habs's training camp and said "Hattitude is Heverything." Jeez, if you can't say it, don't attempt it.
Did you see the new Hunder Harmour track suits?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
They just replayed Mitch Melnick's TSN690 on air "Holy $hit" reaction when the Subban trade broke 2 years ago. :laugh: It never gets old hearing that.

I was listening to TSN690 when the trade broke that awful day and I initially burst out laughing when Melnick said "PK Subban was traded for Shea Weber? Holy $hit" and then I went into rage mode when it struck me that it was indeed true. :( Even now 3:51 p.m EDT on June 29, 2016 still sucks. :nod:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Rebuilding the pipeline through the draft is by far the most important thing Bergevin can do right now... now let's hope he can avoid handing out any long contracts to players past their prime.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Kelly is my favorite gazette writer because he doesn't pull any punches when it comes to Habs management. If Hickey, Todd and Cowan had any journalistic integrity they would do the same.

Hey Pickles, bit of a late reply but @Inkling wrote a great post in response in the previous thread.

"I knew who that article was written by before clicking the link. It's amusing to see how the Gazette has to play the game. Kelly is the guy who gets to write the really scorching articles. He probably doesn't actually spend much time at the Bell Centre during the season and doesn't need to interact with the team too much. Stu Cowan is allowed to write moderately critical articles but they can't be too bad. I remember when Molson jumped over him on Twitter for saying the Bell Centre was half empty for an exhibition game. Pat Hickey has to maintain contacts so he can be critical but respectfully so, and not too critical. Everyone seems to have a slot."

I don't think that Hickey, Todd or Cowan are afraid of Bergevin in anyway but they are not independent journalists either. They have a boss that they report to and just like everyone of us with a boss, we'd be out of a job pretty quick if we went against what our boss told us to do.

I think it's interesting that Kelly is the only one allowed to tackle the scathing articles while the others are not because they must play the political game and maintain a working relationship with the team or have their privileges revoked. Otherwise I think that Todd and Stu are equally capable of putting Bergevin in his place, Stu as done so numerous times, just never in a public setting. I figure that Kelly doesn't have to deal with the team very often, hard to imagine they'd be happy with him.

The reporters are kind of like the footsoldiers before fighting against a big army with each one nervously looking at each other saying,"are you going to go first?" Once they all start to go at the same time it will be difficult for the Canadiens to contain them. Tony Marinaro had a good go at management there a couple of years ago and has since turned pro management likely due to a scolding from his boss.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Hey Pickles, bit of a late reply but @Inkling wrote a great post in response in the previous thread.

"I knew who that article was written by before clicking the link. It's amusing to see how the Gazette has to play the game. Kelly is the guy who gets to write the really scorching articles. He probably doesn't actually spend much time at the Bell Centre during the season and doesn't need to interact with the team too much. Stu Cowan is allowed to write moderately critical articles but they can't be too bad. I remember when Molson jumped over him on Twitter for saying the Bell Centre was half empty for an exhibition game. Pat Hickey has to maintain contacts so he can be critical but respectfully so, and not too critical. Everyone seems to have a slot."

I don't think that Hickey, Todd or Cowan are afraid of Bergevin in anyway but they are not independent journalists either. They have a boss that they report to and just like everyone of us with a boss, we'd be out of a job pretty quick if we went against what our boss told us to do.

I think it's interesting that Kelly is the only one allowed to tackle the scathing articles while the others are not because they must play the political game and maintain a working relationship with the team or have their privileges revoked. Otherwise I think that Todd and Stu are equally capable of putting Bergevin in his place, Stu as done so numerous times, just never in a public setting. I figure that Kelly doesn't have to deal with the team very often, hard to imagine they'd be happy with him.

The reporters are kind of like the footsoldiers before fighting against a big army with each one nervously looking at each other saying,"are you going to go first?" Once they all start to go at the same time it will be difficult for the Canadiens to contain them. Tony Marinaro had a good go at management there a couple of years ago and has since turned pro management likely due to a scolding from his boss.
Wow that's totally spot on. Marinaro has turned heel since the Galchenyuk trade I'll give him props for that. I understand these journalists want to keep their jobs some could be a little more honest we fans aren't stupid.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
They just replayed Mitch Melnick's TSN690 on air "Holy $hit" reaction when the Subban trade broke 2 years ago. :laugh: It never gets old hearing that.

I was listening to TSN690 when the trade broke that awful day and I initially burst out laughing when Melnick said "PK Subban was traded for Shea Weber? Holy $hit" and then I went into rage mode when it struck me that it was indeed true. :( Even now 3:51 p.m EDT on June 29, 2016 still sucks. :nod:
Damn I wish I was listening I never got to hear that rant.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Rebuilding the pipeline through the draft is by far the most important thing Bergevin can do right now... now let's hope he can avoid handing out any long contracts to players past their prime.
Why trading for ROR is wrong. It is a patch job. Buffalo finished 30th in the league and ROR had good season. How is he going to help us?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
McGuire who is currently in Montreal just said he was talking to a Habs season ticket holder who lives in the same building as his mother and he said it was difficult to even give away his tickets to the Habs games last season.

Will things get even worse this season if the Habs stink out the joint again like many expect to happen?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Edit 1: Melnick just said the Habs are currently in no mans land and he's 100% right IMO.

Edit 2 :McGuire touching on why Benning did what he did in UFA said he understands why he did it because they're scared fan apathy would set in and they need to be careful.

I can't speak for any other Habs fan Pierre but apathy is also starting to set in for me regarding the Habs and I'm sure I'm far from being alone. Maybe the Habs need to be a bit careful as well?
:dunno:

Edit 3: Pierre just said he knows of a team that was gonna do a substantial trade with the Habs for Pacioretty but it still wasn't enough for MB. I believe he said this was at last seasons trade deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
McGuire who is currently in Montreal just said he was talking to a Habs season ticket holder who lives in the same building as his mother and he said it was difficult to even give away his tickets to the Habs games last season.

Will things get even worse this season if the Habs stink out the joint again like many expect to happen?

Edit 1: Melnick just said the Habs are currently in no mans land and he's 100% right IMO.

Edit 2 :McGuire touching on why Benning did what he did in UFA said he understands why he did it because they're scared fan apathy would set in and they need to be careful.

I can't speak for any other Habs fan Pierre but apathy is also starting to set in for me regarding the Habs and I'm sure I'm far from being alone. Maybe the Habs need to be a bit careful as well?
:dunno:

Edit 3: Pierre just said he knows of a team that was gonna do a substantial trade with the Habs for Pacioretty but it still wasn't enough for MB. I believe he said this was at last seasons trade deadline.

Fan apathy has set in, but most will jump back aboard the bandwagon once a sign of competence and competition returns. Also, one cannot underestimate the effect of having a superstar level player has on the fan base. Get a player that creates a buzz, and the Phone Booth will be full, regardless of the quality of the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad