TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

back in the day morency was great on 690 (it wasn't 690 then). His night show was highly entertaining.
I agree with you; I stick with Melnick because of the guests.
I absolutely cannot stand Gallo and Campbell.
Ludicrous, self-indulgent, college /community radio.
The number of times Gallo has to tell campbell to shut the f*** cup about the packers or their dumb, beer league hockey / baseball stories... It's unfathomably bad radio

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
back in the day morency was great on 690 (it wasn't 690 then). His night show was highly entertaining.
I agree with you; I stick with Melnick because of the guests.
I absolutely cannot stand Gallo and Campbell.
Ludicrous, self-indulgent, college /community radio.
The number of times Gallo has to tell campbell to shut the f*** cup about the packers or their dumb, beer league hockey / baseball stories... It's unfathomably bad radio
I was onto Morency from the start. I liked how impetuous and unflappable he was and the craziness about him, he gained a cult-like following within a short time.

I wonder what he’d be like now, whether he dialed it down a notch. Regardless, he couldn’t do worse than Gallo and Campbell however there is no money at Bell-owned stations, so they probably wouldn’t be able to afford him.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Montreal.png

I'm offended that these men are representatives of Montreal sports media.

Everything about both their personalities is cripplingly juvenile, and the same holds true for their shows with, on Gallo's end, the insufferable "WHOO" segment, puckdoku, and insipid songs that they play for each guest.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For some reason, I missed out on Louis Jean making a return to sportscasting, this time on 98.5 FM, Sundays at 11 AM.

I have read that he had been initially rumored to join BPM but regardless, he’s always been a solid broadcaster and it was only a matter of time before he came back.

The tweet announcing his return says that his stint was to go until December however I understand it’s been extended but not sure if it’s the same time slot.

Last edited:

JackZap

May 7, 2009
For some reason, I missed out on Louis Jean making a return to sportscasting, this time on 98.5 FM, Sundays at 11 AM.

I have read that he had been initially rumored to join BPM but regardless, he’s always been a solid broadcaster s’and it was only a matter of time before he came back:

The tweet announcing his return says that his stint was to go until December however I understand it’s been extended but not sure if it’s the same time slot.

Quick , everybody hide your wives

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
whether he dialed it down a notch

I didn't know him from radio but he's the same now as he was on the score back in the day lol.

I found a video of him filming himself reacting to the Habs/Leafs OT game 6 in 2021 at a bar in Vancouver. He was absolutely buckled by the end of it lol.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To think that this guy spent the better part of his career churning out derogatory verbiage about those of different ethnic, religious, language and racial backgrounds only to see that he’s not better off than anyone else.

Good luck with whatever it is you’ve got going on, Reggie. :eek2:

Karma can be such a beautiful bitch sometimes.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To think that this guy spent the better part of his career churning out derogatory verbiage about those of different ethnic, religious, language and racial backgrounds only to see that he’s not better off than anyone else.

Exactly the type of character of a woman you'd expect a man like him to have as a wife.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

what a f***ing idiot. they deserve each other. Thought this was parody. An embarrassment to quebec, but a hero to the sub-literate

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
what a f***ing idiot. they deserve each other. Thought this was parody. An embarrassment to quebec, but a hero to the sub-literate
I can’t believe how BPM rolls out the red carpet for this guy and even has promos about his guest appearances where they refer to him as a « legend ».

A legend of ass.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Intriguing solo show today on 91.9 FM (podcast) by producer Ben Roger, who is on air during almost every weekday segment as the hands-on guy who does everything else the hosts of shows can’t or won’t do. You’ll often hear his voice on most of the station’s commercials.

He went through his background, the daunting challenges of trying to earn a living in radio and all the characters he met along the way, several of whom moved on to better things today but who worked their way up like he did. One of those stories involved him and JiC working together as dishwashers in a restaurant.

He also reminisced on his days at CKAC before it became a traffic station and where he acted as producer for every show except Paul Arcand’s. He even continued working at CKAC on weekends after it changed to its current vocation.

He spoke fondly of shows he did with Rodger Brulotte, amongst the nicest people he felt lucky to have worked with. As well as the craziness of being in studio with George Laraque who will explode in laughter at some of the most outrageous material coming from callers on BPM’s open line segments.

He appears to have had a love/ hate relationship with JiC however, when an opportunity arose for full time work on a fixed schedule, JiC called on Roger for a producer’s job at a new station JiC was working at.

The guy certainly paid his dues and rode the uncertainties of working in radio, never giving up. What really added color to this show were all the sound bytes he aired, which he kept over the years.

He came across as a kind, caring and good natured individual and as a listener, I always root for people with said qualities.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
100% - and hockey30, which i shouldn't be reading is unf***ingbearable. the turd who runs the site, understands how popular he is, so he's constantly, daily posting clickbait about how he's getting dealt or Zegras, St Louis has a big problem with him, etc
💩🤢
Reposting your above Xhekaj message from another thread here, re your comments referring to H30.

We all know how H30 is pure trash but it was even worse when they used to allow user comments which were clearly unmonitored.

It was a repository for racist and sexist rage-posting, with constant user in-fighting that would spill over into other “articles” (a few lines of controversial and incendiary garbage littered with spelling mistakes — the garbage articles and spelling mistakes are a recurring feature except that the articles are now longer) the site would post daily.

It was hilarious to see users lambaste the site’s owner in the user comments, one of them even referring to him as “David Coquerelle”. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: HuGo Sham

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Reposting your above Xhekaj message from another thread here, re your comments referring to H30.

We all know how H30 is pure trash but it was even worse when they used to allow user comments which were clearly unmonitored.

It was a repository for racist and sexist rage-posting, with constant user in-fighting that would spill over into other “articles” (a few lines of controversial and incendiary garbage littered with spelling mistakes — the garbage articles and spelling mistakes are a recurring feature except that the articles are now longer) the site would post daily.

It was hilarious to see users lambaste the site’s owner in the user comments, one of them even referring to him as “David Coquerelle”. :laugh:
Agreed. It’s a shocking site with constant, incendiary headlines that provoke stress and anger. Its hockey content is insane

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m constantly surfing between 690, 91.9 FM and 98.5 FM.

And one thing that I’m finding more and more unbearable is the lickassery on BPM’s afternoon show. Martin Lemay has become truly annoying. The guy is constantly heaping praise on his guests so much so that I keep hoping someone will call him on all his excesses and tell him to f*** off.

Thank goodness I can avoid Lemay altogether and listen to 690’s afternoon show instead.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I’m constantly surfing between 690, 91.9 FM and 98.5 FM.

And one thing that I’m finding more and more unbearable is the lickassery on BPM’s afternoon show. Martin Lemay has become truly annoying. The guy is constantly heaping praise on his guests so much so that I keep hoping someone will call him on all his excesses and tell him to f*** off.

Thank goodness I can avoid Lemay altogether and listen to 690’s afternoon show instead.
I think Georges is even worse. Everybody is the best at what they do according to him.

Nothing wrong with being nice, but they're becoming more and more cringey.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think Georges is even worse. Everybody is the best at what they do according to him.

Nothing wrong with being nice, but they're becoming more and more cringey.
Laraque is childish and a lot of his antics are worse than dad jokes but for some reason he gels with Gonzo. Laraque never pretends to be a serious interviewer — he tries to be an entertainer even though he falls short.

Lemay on the other hand is really overdoing it. It goes beyond being nice, too much praise for so little in the way of input by paid contributors. Just thank them and be done with them but no “you’ve been excellent”, “you’re the best” and on and on.

And it doesn’t end there, they keep replaying Lemay’s show overnight and on weekends.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
With respect to the morning show, does anyone else find Shaun Starr to be simply terrible? His "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" and interjections make him seem simply imbecilic.

Conor Mckenna is an arrogant blowhard and his infuriatingly silly "Florida Report" should have been canned after a single experimental broadcast, but, my word, at least he's tolerable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad