TSN: TSN 1050 - Leafs Lunch - Thoughts?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes and no. I think he knows the "feel of the game" better if you know what I mean. How it is to play, what players think in certain situations etc. But I think MJ has a better understanding of things when it comes to rosters and more of the tactical aspects of the game. I find the both to be fairly similar when it comes to analysing certain plays like questionable hits and stuff like that.

I think Ray and the boys had a better connection and more banter going on and I liked that. But as far as the analysis goes, MJ really isn't a drop off IMO. Very rarely have I had a problem with his takes, usually they are pretty much spot on.
MJ understanding of rosters and the tactical aspect is his weakness. He has no idea why Tampa wins. Actually, he probably does know, but since it was his shortcoming as player he doesn’t like to admit it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Absolutely agree; throw in Frankie, bring Carlo in from First Up, and I'd like to see a Laura Diakun or a Lindsay Hamilton, or maybe even a Tessa Bonhome. I love a female voice on the program, but I don't want to hear them take 30 seconds talking about their buyers remorse for a new pair of shoes... ugh.

Frankie would be fine. Colaiacovo is the worst personality on tsn 1050 by a mile.

As for the shoe thing, it’s not really any more out of place then some of the nonsense the guys bring up across the programs. Overdrive is notorious for tangents that have no sports basis whatsoever

I enjoy overdrive well enough but it’s pretty clear those guys think every thought they’ve ever had is the funniest thing ever. Maybe half the time the joke actually lands

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I've never understood this Al's Brother thing. Who the f**k is Al, and why should anyone give a rat's arse about his brother?

I've never watched a single episode of Letterkenny, nor will I.

And when/why did "bar down" become a catchphrase?
It was all just explained above. It started as a joke to the fact O never bothered learning the guys who run the show names and just calling them “Al” and then “al’s brother’ as opposed to picking a second made up name or you know? Learning the dudes actual name.
Maybe you should give it a watch, you might lighten up a little and learn to enjoy some things.
Bar down has been hockey vernacular for as long as I’ve been following the game and I’m nearly 40, so I’m definitely not in their demographic at all, although I find marissa Roberto & Zak entertaining the rest like Jesse pollock can pound sand.. It’s literally when you go cross bar and in.
I cannot stand that arrogant little dweeb Siegel. Someone needs to smack the arrogance out of him.
Never mind.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I listened to talk radio for years when I'd drive in for work.

Was fine with Landsberg in the morning, but shut off when Coliacovo came on. Got so sick of his nasal, self-important way of talking.

I no longer listen to any Toronto talk radio for sports, and don't miss it one lick.

Based on the takes in threads throughout the year, with the takes of the "experts" on the likes of Liljegren and what not, doesn't sound like I've missed anything of pertinent value anyways.

I let the blow-hards talk to hear themselves, and I just watch hockey.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Frankie would be fine. Colaiacovo is the worst personality on tsn 1050 by a mile.

As for the shoe thing, it’s not really any more out of place then some of the nonsense the guys bring up across the programs. Overdrive is notorious for tangents that have no sports basis whatsoever

I enjoy overdrive well enough but it’s pretty clear those guys think every thought they’ve ever had is the funniest thing ever. Maybe half the time the joke actually lands

The thing I find off-putting about the shoes is that it's not sports related in any way... and the majority of your audience can't relate to it. It would be like a guy on The View started talking about the wicked new impact driver and bit set he bought at Home Depot on the weekend.

I like Colaiacovo, but that's just a case of preference I suppose. Watching the Bulldogs/Spitfires game last night, I actually think that Frankie/Carlo/Lindsay Hamilton would be dynamite for Leafs Lunch. I liked the chemistry.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's unbearable at times how little they actually talk about sports. Just stupid banter about their personal lives, which if I'm being honest - I could not care less about.

If the leafs did their job and made it past the first round there’d be more to talk about. But I like overdrive, they are funny. I’m not a golfer, but the mix of sports talk and personal is what keeps it entertaining and light. I think the only time I get annoyed is when they are bringing on a guest or TSN personality and they talk about their golf game before asking questions. Other than that I don’t mind it

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
JT is a lightweight Andi clone, with her incessant rights and yeahs while a guest is talking Als brother needs to drop the clownish shtick if wants to be taken seriously. And as mentioned here often in a quick read thru the Bardown people are not funny, not edgy and from someone who is decidedly not hip and can’t imagine by making stupid haircut bits and the like make them cool. Stern started that stuff decades ago. The format is dead I think I listen to podcasts more often than not and only to the live station if something is breaking,

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
I don’t get to listen to much daytime sports radio anymore due to my work schedule.

I used to listen at night quite a bit to both TSN and The Fan for the call in shows, especially after Leaf games.

It’s disappointing both stations have seemingly gutted that night time segment of their programming. Now after a game ends they quickly go to US feeds that don’t interest me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad