TSN: TSN 1050 - Leafs Lunch - Thoughts?

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I cannot stand that arrogant little dweeb Siegel. Someone needs to smack the arrogance out of him.

I have to agree. I tried listening to the Maple Leafs Report with him and James Mirtle, and it's absolutely intolerable. They just sit there and talk smack, basically everyone is terrible, every decision is bad, and any time there is something to celebrate, they kinda ho-hum about it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have to agree. I tried listening to the Maple Leafs Report with him and James Mirtle, and it's absolutely intolerable. They just sit there and talk smack, basically everyone is terrible, every decision is bad, and any time there is something to celebrate, they kinda ho-hum about it.

Jonas Siegel and James Mirtle really like to frame their coverage in these hipster intellectual terms while the current version of Leafs Lunch with JT and Al's Brother coming across as a little too young. They're more jokey and less edgy version of JD Bunkis and Ailish on The Fan Morning Show. It's a little too Bar Down for my liking.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Jonas Siegel and James Mirtle really like to frame their coverage in these hipster intellectual terms while the current version of Leafs Lunch with JT and Al's Brother coming across as a little too young. They're more jokey and less edgy version of JD Bunkis and Ailish on The Fan Morning Show. It's a little too Bar Down for my liking.

You absolutely nailed that breakdown. It's why I like Marek and Friedman on 32 Thoughts, though Marek can go off on tangents occasionally. They're pretty straight forward hockey guys, and not trying to put some demographically-segmented spin on it.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
All decisions are made to save money. All media in this country sre hemorrhaging $$$$. The powers that be for a long time now are accountants that want to hang out in the world of sports. Hockey is Canada's number 1 media event. No one should ever care about who is on the air and what they know. The executives who make the hiring decisions have no idea who is good, just how much they cost. Enjoy the show! The new people will never be good and only the fans care.

Reactions: Roadhog

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
The two are inexperienced, and they need a former player on the show. They’re improving as they go though. I’d say they need to add Frankie Corrado on full time as the third host. He’s great and adds credibility

Reactions: fahad203

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You absolutely nailed that breakdown. It's why I like Marek and Friedman on 32 Thoughts, though Marek can go off on tangents occasionally. They're pretty straight forward hockey guys, and not trying to put some demographically-segmented spin on it.
Every time I hear Marek talk I think of David Spade....and I don't like to think of David Spade...

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Listening to Andi P talk makes me want to kill myself. Not only does she have the most annoying voice ever, she has absolutely no clue wtf she is talking about, I'm shocked she still has a job.
You should probably stop listening when she is on......unless I'm in your will.
The golf talk lately. Sheesh
They have an excuse this week, but, yeah, it's too much.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Overdrive - Listened 2 minutes on my way home from work yesterday. Their usual Golf game talk. Couldn't take it.

Totally agree. I understand they're at the Canadian Open, but still....

"So on hole 3 I hit it 150 yards, then I asked my caddie what club I should use, then I used my 7 iron and hit it 100 yards, then I waved to the crowd...." BORING

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Overdrive has fallen completely off the cliff since the beginning of the pandemic. It seems like they speak more about their own shitty golf game then what's happening in sports. The peak of the show always was Ray Ferrero coming on, who is the only person at TSN that knows what he is talking about.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Not only does she have the most annoying voice ever

I'm not sure "the most" but she's on the podium.
For me, Martine Gaillard is the gold medal winner. She makes Sportsnet Central unwatchable (technically, unlistenable). She should be doing voice overs for Disney characters.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure "the most" but she's on the podium.
For me, Martine Gaillard is the gold medal winner. She makes Sportsnet Central unwatchable (technically, unlistenable). She should be doing voice overs for Disney characters.
For me it's the one that sounds like a muppet ... Kate Bierness.

• Haha
Reactions: Auston 316

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Overdrive has fallen completely off the cliff since the beginning of the pandemic. It seems like they speak more about their own shitty golf game then what's happening in sports. The peak of the show always was Ray Ferrero coming on, who is the only person at TSN that knows what he is talking about.
It's unbearable at times how little they actually talk about sports. Just stupid banter about their personal lives, which if I'm being honest - I could not care less about.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
I'm not listening to Overdrive for hard hitting analysis the full 3 hours (there are other podcasts for that). It's still a good mixture of sports and personal stories, which is way more entertaining that way. It's not like there has been a ton to talk about lately anyway.

As for Golf, I don't really care but seems like there is an audience for it or else they wouldn't talk about it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The peak of the show always was Ray Ferrero coming on, who is the only person at TSN that knows what he is talking about.
Ray was (and is still) great, but MJ has replaced him seamlessly IMO. The tone is slightly more serious than with Ray, but usually MJ's analysis is spot on.

Reactions: ktownhockey

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I listen from time to time, but when they talk like 20 something year olds, I have no idea what they’re saying.

Unlike Mirtle and Siegel, they at least they watch the games.

Ray was (and is still) great, but MJ has replaced him seamlessly IMO. The tone is slightly more serious than with Ray, but usually MJ's analysis is spot on.
Ray understand the game a lot better than MJ.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I actually don’t mind it, especially when Frankie Corrado is a fill in.

Probably unpopular opinion, while Andi was polished and Tocheri is raw, Andi Petrillo had awful takes and poor hockey knowledge while Tocheri actually knows what she is talking about.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Ray understand the game a lot better than MJ.
Yes and no. I think he knows the "feel of the game" better if you know what I mean. How it is to play, what players think in certain situations etc. But I think MJ has a better understanding of things when it comes to rosters and more of the tactical aspects of the game. I find the both to be fairly similar when it comes to analysing certain plays like questionable hits and stuff like that.

I think Ray and the boys had a better connection and more banter going on and I liked that. But as far as the analysis goes, MJ really isn't a drop off IMO. Very rarely have I had a problem with his takes, usually they are pretty much spot on.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad