TSN: TSN 1050 - Leafs Lunch - Thoughts?

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I've been a very avid Leafs Lunch follower for... well... as long as I can remember. It used to be my daily ritual when it was just Hayes/Noodles/O-Dog for an hour, before they went to 2 hours and then OverDrive.

I liked Andi Petrillo to a degree, though I found her a little off-putting at times when she would start being way overly partisan with goalies and what not... I loved Patrick O'Sullivan as a co-host, but he was the new guy on the block and calling Andi out on her lack of in-depth knowledge of parts of the game and it's culture (in a sometimes rude way, especially on-air) put him on borrowed time. Still, it was a cohesive show that had good guests and was well worth a listen.

This season, they decided to throw a couple of people in Julia Tocheri from BarDown and Mike DiStefano (Al's Brother) on the air, and they're just totally unpolished. Julia is just way too inexperienced, and Mike seems to be leveraging his relationships with the more established previous hosts. Guests seem to get mildly annoyed with them at times, as they both will talk over them and will often be wrong be incorrect in what they're saying, and it just seems like a bit of a train wreck.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? Am I totally off-base? It's not that I don't think JT and AB can be great hosts at some point, I just think they got rushed in and it shows in the product (probably the sudden departure of Andi).

Let it be known I can't stand BarDown, they just seem like a bunch of Letterkenny wanna-be's who are trying to appeal to the 25-and-under crowd. Takes away from the show entirely in my mind.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think they are learning on the fly, there's going to be bumps. I think TSN knows their money maker is Overdrive with First Up right behind them. They can afford to have the lunch show figure out it's kinks.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Comparing any show to Leafs Lunch (1 hour show with Hayes, Noodles and O) is unfair.

They were and are a phenomenon.

Hayes is a great host.
Noodles is Forest Gump.
O is comedic relief as well as being the one with most street cred in the game (after Ferraro).

The shows that led to

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I assume you mean Al's brother? if it's the same guy he runs a podcast for the Locked On network and his channel is Locked on Leafs, it's ok he's defeinelty a Leafs and Hockey fan.

no I want to know if there is an actual Al, if there is an Al's brother I assume there must be an Al

Reactions: Roadhog

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
they probably got the gig by working for peanuts , i doubt they last much longer if they don't improve

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
no I want to know if there is an actual Al, if there is an Al's brother I assume there must be an Al

I remember odog saying before on Overdrive that there is no Al. He worked at TSN with Mike's brother and called him "Al" as a joke even though it wasn't his name. Then when Mike started working at TSN odog started calling him "Al's brother"

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I remember odog saying before on Overdrive that there is no Al. He worked at TSN with Mike's brother and called him "Al" as a joke even though it wasn't his name. Then when Mike started working at TSN odog started calling him "Al's brother"

Ah so Mike does have a brother at least

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
It's not bad. They will both improve. I don't think they're any worse than others on the radio.

The Overdrive crew is one-of-a-kind. It's rare to find characters like O'Dog that easily. He's "generational".

Reactions: ktownhockey

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
i think the quality went down with the new hosts. they should have at least a former player on, maybe Mike Johnson? I guess he's too busy doing games.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
It's a little more convoluted than that even.

The guys aren't even brothers.
Al and Al's brother are not related at all.

It's just that O'Neill never learned the guys' names, and he called one Al for a period of time, and started calling the other one Al's brother.
Once the original Al left TSN for other ventures (think he went West), the other guy remained as Al's Brother.

Al's Brother Meets Mike Johnson

This is the moment Al's Brother became known throughout the land!!!!

The awkwardness is palpable

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I liked Andi Petrillo and the previous iteration of Leafs Lunch whenever I was able to tune in. Haven't yet seen or heard the current show.

Reactions: jaric1862

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I've been a very avid Leafs Lunch follower for... well... as long as I can remember. It used to be my daily ritual when it was just Hayes/Noodles/O-Dog for an hour, before they went to 2 hours and then OverDrive.

I liked Andi Petrillo to a degree, though I found her a little off-putting at times when she would start being way overly partisan with goalies and what not... I loved Patrick O'Sullivan as a co-host, but he was the new guy on the block and calling Andi out on her lack of in-depth knowledge of parts of the game and it's culture (in a sometimes rude way, especially on-air) put him on borrowed time. Still, it was a cohesive show that had good guests and was well worth a listen.

This season, they decided to throw a couple of people in Julia Tocheri from BarDown and Mike DiStefano (Al's Brother) on the air, and they're just totally unpolished. Julia is just way too inexperienced, and Mike seems to be leveraging his relationships with the more established previous hosts. Guests seem to get mildly annoyed with them at times, as they both will talk over them and will often be wrong be incorrect in what they're saying, and it just seems like a bit of a train wreck.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? Am I totally off-base? It's not that I don't think JT and AB can be great hosts at some point, I just think they got rushed in and it shows in the product (probably the sudden departure of Andi).

Let it be known I can't stand BarDown, they just seem like a bunch of Letterkenny wanna-be's who are trying to appeal to the 25-and-under crowd. Takes away from the show entirely in my mind.
Dont like em, and I dont listen to them. I kinda like Kypers new show, they only talk hockey and mainly Leafs, no other sports, I know what I am getting. And Mirtle+ Sigel podcast.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I have no problem with the show or either hosts. You can tell they’re Leaf fans and I like that. However, I think Frankie Corrado would be an improvement on either of them.

Absolutely agree; throw in Frankie, bring Carlo in from First Up, and I'd like to see a Laura Diakun or a Lindsay Hamilton, or maybe even a Tessa Bonhome. I love a female voice on the program, but I don't want to hear them take 30 seconds talking about their buyers remorse for a new pair of shoes... ugh.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Sad reality of hockey talk in Toronto is that there is noone as knowledgeable or likeable as a William Lou or Blake Murphy. One who understands the sport both anecdotally and analytically to drive meaningful discussions.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

I've never understood this Al's Brother thing. Who the f**k is Al, and why should anyone give a rat's arse about his brother?

I've never watched a single episode of Letterkenny, nor will I.

And when/why did "bar down" become a catchphrase?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad