Tryamkin's Offseason Top 100 NHL Affiliated Prospects Ranking

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Thank you, appreciate the effort! To contribute to the discussion I am listing some random disagreements below. To be clear, this is not meant to diminish the value of your effort, it's just that listing agreements is boring.

6. RW Eeli Tolvanen

Too high. I had Tolvanen in the early teens last year, so I am not a hater, but I think this is too soon. He had amazing season in the KHL stats wise, but I did not watch his KHL games. I saw him at the WJC, and I thought he really struggled as the go to guy for the Finns. Just one tournament of course, but I would not have him nearly so high at this point.

29. C Aleksi Heponiemi
Too high. Love his game, also had him relatively high last year (late 1st). Not holding WJC against him given his more supporting role. However, the biggest question mark with Heponiemi is size, and he isn't going to answer this by destroying junior competition. Needs time to gain strength and put those concerns to rest. Until then the question mark should pull him down.

35. RW Vitali Kravtsov
48. LW Oliver Wahlstrom

Too low. Had Wahlstrom higher at the draft, but they are neck-and-neck for me. True star potential here, had them around 4-5 in the draft. I would move them up into teens.

40. D Juuso Valimaki
Too high. I think his physicality make him practically a shoe-in for NHL. However, I do not like his decision making and skating combo, I am afraid it's quite likely will hold him down to the bottom pair role.

64. D Olli Juolevi

Criminally underrated. I understand that his injury and Sergachev's impact cast a shadow here. But I think he is one of few D prospects out there with legit top pairing potential, so do not get having him this low.

88. D Sami Niku
Criminally underrated. What does this guy have to do? His NHL time is at this point just numbers game.

Missing. Urho Vaakanainen.
I had both Vaakanainen and Jokiharju over Valimaki last draft, and nothing has changed this in a year. I understand that his numbers do not pop, but I am very impressed by his skating and decision making. I think he has a very good shot to become a top 4 Dmen, much better than a whole bunch of guys on the list. Let's see if the Bruins can tease out some offense out of him in the AHL. He isn't even on HM list either, very puzzling.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a Pens fan, unless I missed his name somewhere, my quibble's about no Sprong anywhere in the Top 100 or HMs.

When was the last time a 20 year old AHL rookie scored 32 goals (good for 2nd in the league) or scored a P/G over a full season? The offensive support for him in WBS was pretty underwhelming too.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
As a Pens fan, unless I missed his name somewhere, my quibble's about no Sprong anywhere in the Top 100 or HMs.

When was the last time a 20 year old AHL rookie scored 32 goals (good for 2nd in the league)? The offensive support for him in WBS was pretty underwhelming too.

26 games played. Not eligible.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

When was the last time a 20 year old AHL rookie scored 32 goals (good for 2nd in the league) or scored a P/G over a full season? The offensive support for him in WBS was pretty underwhelming too.
I agree! Sprong has played over 25 NHL games and is therefore ineligible for my list.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Habsfann

Apr 13, 2014
Excellent list Tryamkin! Not easy putting together a top 100. Maybe the only two I strongly disagree with are that Wahlstrom and Niku should be much higher, other then that well done.

Reactions: Tryamkin

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Love your lists man! Provides some excellent fuel for discussion.

I'm curious about three players - Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk and Lindblom. From my admittedly limited knowledge, these three stick out to me as being somewhat low. Interested in hearing your thoughts on them!

Also curious to see why Ylonen and Sandin were not ranked. Thanks again Tryamkin!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

I'm curious about three players - Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk and Lindblom. From my admittedly limited knowledge, these three stick out to me as being somewhat low. Interested in hearing your thoughts on them!

Also curious to see why Ylonen and Sandin were not ranked. Thanks again Tryamkin!
Thanks for the support! Most of the draft related questions you have can be tracked back to my final rankings of the 2018 draft found here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tryamkin’s-final-2018-draft-rankings-guide.2503163/

Tkachuk is a player I’m not high on. I don’t think he has very much skill, not enough to be a top line player.

Kotkaniemi is someone I’m high on, but he isn’t the 3rd best player from the draft at this point.

Sandin and Ylonen are a bit farther down my ranking but Sandin was listed as an HM.

Oskar Lindblom has been great since being promoted to the NHL, however I think he tops out as a top 6 player, where most players above him have a higher potential.

Reactions: JohnLennon

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Thanks for the support! Most of the draft related questions you have can be tracked back to my final rankings of the 2018 draft found here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tryamkin’s-final-2018-draft-rankings-guide.2503163/

Tkachuk is a player I’m not high on. I don’t think he has very much skill, not enough to be a top line player.

Kotkaniemi is someone I’m high on, but he isn’t the 3rd best player from the draft at this point.

Sandin and Ylonen are a bit farther down my ranking but Sandin was listed as an HM.

Oskar Lindblom has been great since being promoted to the NHL, however I think he tops out as a top 6 player, where most players above him have a higher potential.

Thanks for the response, all very fair opinions. I'll consult your 2018 draft rankings for more information. Looking forward to seeing how your list evolves throughout the year. All the best!

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Why is Ty Smith so low?

Another question is your 2018 rankings vs. Top 100 rankings-- you had Smith rated higher than Farabee in your 2018 rankings, but have Farabee rated almost ten spots higher here. Do you take draft slot into account?

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think that instant karma is going to get those three. Knock them right on the head. They’d better get themselves together.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Why is Ty Smith so low?

Another question is your 2018 rankings vs. Top 100 rankings-- you had Smith rated higher than Farabee in your 2018 rankings, but have Farabee rated almost ten spots higher here. Do you take draft slot into account?
I would say a little bit so, but not tons. I feel Farabee will have a greater impact on the NHL.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Wouldn't say he's been "great" but he's been alright and definitely has some upside.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Wouldn't say he's been "great" but he's been alright and definitely has some upside.
He’s been great man, looking off of the stats sheet doesn’t tell you the full story. He’s played a great two way game, played hard and made some great plays, got really unlucky with bounces and posts.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So before reading this, there's a few things I'd like to say just to clear confusion and FAQ's.

-There are no goalies in this ranking, I'm not a goalie scout, and I'm not very good at evaluating them!
-The MAX number of games played in the NHL to be included is 25. I could have missed out on a few guys but I tried.
-This is purely my opinion using my own scouting, sorry if your team's player isn't high enough.
This includes 2018 drafted prospects.

Thanks for reading; comments, questions and opinions are always welcome, I will try to respond to as many as I can.

That's a pretty good list, especially so considering how comprehensive it is. Nice work.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
He’s been great man, looking off of the stats sheet doesn’t tell you the full story. He’s played a great two way game, played hard and made some great plays, got really unlucky with bounces and posts.
I watched every game and am a fan of Lindblom. He's definitely got more to show.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Thank you, appreciate the effort! To contribute to the discussion I am listing some random disagreements below. To be clear, this is not meant to diminish the value of your effort, it's just that listing agreements is boring.

6. RW Eeli Tolvanen

Too high. I had Tolvanen in the early teens last year, so I am not a hater, but I think this is too soon. He had amazing season in the KHL stats wise, but I did not watch his KHL games. I saw him at the WJC, and I thought he really struggled as the go to guy for the Finns. Just one tournament of course, but I would not have him nearly so high at this point.

Currently the most overrated prospect in the league. Doesn't mean he isn't awesome but top 10? There are at least 10 guys behind him on the list that I would take over him.

Otherwise a really good list for attempting 100 players.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
As a Devil fan I am not going to argue Smith. I haven't seen him play and maybe he deserves that spot. But why the hate on McLeod? I don't get why his stock has dropped.
I have seen him play a lot. The year before last he was killing the OHL. That series against Erie he played better than Strome, Raddyish and Debrincat but didn't have the support that they had. BAstian sucked and I think he is destined for the AHL his whole career.
Then McLeaod tore his miniscus. The same injury that Zach Parise had. Parise went from over a PPG and one of the top offensive forces in the NHL to .5PPG when he came back that year.
McLeod most likely made the NHL if not for that injury.
After that McLeod was not off to a good start. But that happens with a major injury. Especially when your biggest asset is skating. He came along throughout the year and played better as the year went on.
He was given a responsible roll for Canada in the WJ's becasue of his complete game and great two way play.
Don't understand why his stock has dropped so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
To nitpick my team...
from your list last time to this time:

Hronek (D) with Grand Rapids
67 GP 39 Points +24
Fell from 66 to 97

Svechnikov (F) with Grand Rapids
57 GP 23 Points -4