Tryamkin's Offseason Top 100 NHL Affiliated Prospects Ranking

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
So before reading this, there's a few things I'd like to say just to clear confusion and FAQ's.

-There are no goalies in this ranking, I'm not a goalie scout, and I'm not very good at evaluating them!
-The MAX number of games played in the NHL to be included is 25. I could have missed out on a few guys but I tried.
-This is purely my opinion using my own scouting, sorry if your team's player isn't high enough.
This includes 2018 drafted prospects.

Thanks for reading; comments, questions and opinions are always welcome, I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Previous Edition: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tryamkins-top-100-nhl-affiliated-prospects.2467009/

1. D Rasmus Dahlin
2. LW Andrei Svechnikov
3. C Elias Pettersson
4. D Miro Heiskanen
5. C Casey Mittlestadt
6. RW Eeli Tolvanen
7. C Martin Necas
8. D Cale Makar
9. RW Kirill Kaprizov
10. RW Filip Zadina
11. C Cody Glass
12. C Robert Thomas
13. C/LW Filip Chytil
14. C Gabriel Vilardi
15. D Quinn Hughes
16. C Jesperi Kotkaniemi
17. C Lias Andersson
18. LW Kristian Vesalainen
19. C Morgan Frost
20. C Dylan Strome
21. D Adam Boqvist
22. D Evan Bouchard
23. D Timothy Liljegren
24. D Noah Dobson
25. RW Jordan Kyrou
26. C Henrik Borgstrom
27. C Ryan Donato
28. LW Brady Tkachuk
29. C Aleksi Heponiemi
30. D Erik Brannstrom
31. C/RW Nick Suzuki
32. D Connor Timmins
33. RW Klim Kostin
34. C Sam Steel
35. RW Vitali Kravtsov
36. RW Kailer Yamamoto
37. LW/C Alexander Nylander
38. RW Nick Merkley
39. D Callan Foote
40. D Juuso Valimaki
41. D Henri Jokiharju
42. LW Dillon Dube
43. C/RW Drake Batherson
44. D Adam Fox
45. C Adam Gaudette
46. D Phillipe Myers
47. LW Boris Katchouk
48. LW Oliver Wahlstrom
49. RW Martin Kaut
50. RW/LW Owen Tippett
51. D Nicholas Hague
52. LW Kieffer Bellows
53. C Michael Rasmussen
54. C Ryan Poehling
55. LW/RW Dominik Bokk
56. C Brett Howden
57. LW Jonathan Dahlen
58. C Barrett Hayton
59. D Pierre-Olivier Joseph
60. LW Oskar Lindblom
61. RW Kole Lind
62. D Noah Juulsen
63. RW Taylor Raddysh
64. D Olli Juolevi
65. LW Andreas Johnsson
66. C Mitchell Stephens
67. LW Dylan Sikura
68. D Cale Klague
69. LW Joel Farabee
70. C Rasmus Kupari
71. C Logan Brown
72. D Dante Fabbro
73. C Troy Terry
74. C Anthony Cirelli
75. D Jacob Larsson
76. D Ty Smith
77. D K'Andre Miller
78. C Ty Dellandrea
79. C Michael McLeod
80. LW Evgeni Svechnikov
81. C Shane Bowers
82. LW Tyler Steenbergen
83. LW Warren Foegele
84. RW/LW Valentin Zykov
85. D Jake Bean
86. C Colin White
87. D Brendan Guhle
88. D Sami Niku
89. RW Jonatan Berggren
90. C Joe Veleno
91. C Isac Ludnestrom
92. D Ethan Bear
93. D Neal Pionk
94. D Oliver Kylington
95. LW Jordan Greenway
96. C Rasmus Asplund
97. D Filip Hronek
98. C Danny O'Regan
99. LW Grigori Denisenko
100. D Ryan Merkley

(Thanks to @SniperHF )

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Fantastic list. Of course, I disagree with a few small things (I’d have Dobson much higher, but yours is a fair placement after the draft, I suppose) but your ability to organize such a large group is commendable.

Also, you may want to differentiate between the two Ryan Merkleys on your list.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Merkley over Ian Mitchell? Not sure how you back that one up. Also wouldn't dare to put Veleno over Wise or even Foudy.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
No idea how Juolevi is still ranked over other defencemen. I'm a Canucks fan too but man, admit he is not what was billed at draft day.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Merkley over Ian Mitchell? Not sure how you back that one up. Also wouldn't dare to put Veleno over Wise or even Foudy.

Somehow I knew long before even looking it up that you were a Hawks fan....

Anyway, pretty decent list. Obviously wont agree with all of them but a lot of them look solid or close enough.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
No idea how Juolevi is still ranked over other defencemen. I'm a Canucks fan too but man, admit he is not what was billed at draft day.
Juolevi isn’t going to be a stud, but he has a very good chance of being a serviceable defenseman in a #3 role.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Meh not bad, some pukable offences like how low Gaudette and Farabee are. Cant understand your logic there. But then I agree with your high ranking of Necas so theres that. Poehling, Hayton and Lind could all be a lil higher too, but no way anyone can agree on everything and tbh it looks like a lot a work and dedication and knowledge of this OP. You seem to really know your stuff, even if you probably would laugh at my opinion on these things lol

Reactions: Tryamkin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pionk isn't a prospect. But if we are treating him as such, he should be much higher. He was the NHL team's best player from the moment he was called up. He was playing 1D minutes like 10 games into his NHL career.

UDFA though. He'll fly under the radar for a couple of years.

Reactions: Lays

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Good work...I disagree with a lot of guys on there but that should be expected....everyone has their own opinion on things

For example, I think Makar (I've never been too high on him going way back to the draft), Thomas, Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Logan Brown are too high

And I think Dobson, Borgstrom (I'd have him closer to the top 10, possibly top 5), Kaut, Berggren, Dellandrea, Jokiharju, Cirelli (at the very least, I like him more than Raddysh by a fair amount)...to name a few are way too low. There's also some guys I'd put a bit higher on the list- like Glass, Necas, Kotkaniemi, and Donato.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
The one that sticks out to me the most is Nylander.

I wouldn't have him a little bit lower, I'd have him a hell of a lot lower.
I mean Juolevi and Nylander are from the same draft and both are the most underperforming prospects from that top 10.
I'd still take Juolevi over Nylander any day of the week, and I dont think Juolevi's ranking is that far off.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Good work...I disagree with a lot of guys on there but that should be expected....everyone has their own opinion on things

For example, I think Makar (I've never been too high on him going way back to the draft), Thomas, Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Logan Brown are too high

And I think Dobson, Borgstrom (I'd have him closer to the top 10, possibly top 5), Kaut, Berggren, Dellandrea, Jokiharju, Cirelli (at the very least, I like him more than Raddysh by a fair amount)...to name a few are way too low. There's also some guys I'd put a bit higher on the list- like Glass, Necas, Kotkaniemi, and Donato.
Agreed on much of this, including the original thought that all our lists look different, even tho i agree with your MILD criticisms

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Pionk isn't a prospect. But if we are treating him as such, he should be much higher. He was the NHL team's best player from the moment he was called up. He was playing 1D minutes like 10 games into his NHL career.

I didn’t check on him, he played 3 extra games, but I’m not moving anything around at this point.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

He wasn't the best player from the minute he was called up - throughout the games he played. He had his good games and struggled in other games. I think he'll have to learn when to pinch, when not to pinch and winning battles is going to be hard for him. I'd have him slightly higher, but looking over the list there's at least twice as many players I would trade him for than I would say no.

Reactions: QJL and 99664987

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He wasn't the best player from the minute he was called up - throughout the games he played. He had his good games and struggled in other games. I think he'll have to learn when to pinch, when not to pinch and winning battles is going to be hard for him. I'd have him slightly higher, but looking over the list there's at least twice as many players I would trade him for than I would say no.

How do you explain his minutes then? He earned those minutes. Don’t give me the corsi argument as one against him. I’ll laugh right at it. .5PPG from the back end and the best defense we had from any D.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How do you explain his minutes then? He earned those minutes. Don’t give me the corsi argument as one against him. I’ll laugh right at it. .5PPG from the back end and the best defense we had from any D.

"Don't give me any facts. I'll laugh". Great!

So his minutes suggest that he was the best player? We traded away players, and had injuries. He got playing time. In that playing time he showed promise while making some pretty bad mistakes. That means he had good plays and really bad plays. Good games and bad games. You said teams "best player", were you referring to the best defensemen? He certainly had games where he was the best defensemen, but had some games where he wasn't.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Don't give me any facts. I'll laugh". Great!

So his minutes suggest that he was the best player? We traded away players, and had injuries. He got playing time. In that playing time he showed promise while making some pretty bad mistakes. That means he had good plays and really bad plays. Good games and bad games. You said teams "best player", were you referring to the best defensemen? He certainly had games where he was the best defensemen, but had some games where he wasn't.

I said he was the team’s best player for the stretch he played for the NHL team. I never claimed he was the best hockey player on the team or that the lack of quality on the team and defense didn’t have an influence on the situation. But if I’m wrong, tell me which player was better?

And no, I don’t regard a >30 game corsi sample as relevant. The same people who shrieke regarding the fluctuations in player’s percentages year to year usually look like idiots. Kevin Hayes supposedly sucked because of this stat and the next year we hear that he’s doing great. He scores 5 less points in more TOI, but let’s disregard that for the corsi stats.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Try--thanks for posting. Your hard work is appreciated. Really close calls--for instance I can see arguments for all 11-24 being slightly higher of lower. From a potential v. likelihood comparison it is a group that has interesting contrasts.

As a Carolina fan, I hope others can see why we are excited. Two in top seven (yeah, Buffalo has us beat), three in top 50, six on list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad