Player Discussion Tryamkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Mark Giordano left Calgary for Europe and returned around that age. The book will never be closed while we still hold the rights.

That's true and all but Giordano still came back as a 25 year old. Tryamkin is missing out on time in the NHL

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
That's true and all but Giordano still came back as a 25 year old. Tryamkin is missing out on time in the NHL

Disagree. His decision this year is a smart one. Who even knows if there will be a season, let alone where the money will come from. Aquaman is going to lose some serious money from this, but he will not miss a meal. Try signed a deal with the KHL for one year, and will re-evaluate next year.

FFS, we are in a pandemic. This is not normal times, and it may not be for years. YEARS.

My call all along has been that is just getting started. Maybe if the US had been as smart as Japan they could have saved a lot of lives. But the US had morons storming city hall demanding their rights to be dumb asses. Just sad.

I am also on the books as saying that Tryamkin was going to be a decent 3 - 4 player. And a big boy who would be very valuable in the playoffs. For durability. The Canucks have an incredible core in EP and Hughes. Smaller guys who will need some protection. My prediction is that Minn will target them and beat the hell out of them.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Rick Dhaliwal on with Sekeras and Price, speculating that it might have been the owner pushing back on some of these signings. Particularly if it's not an open and shut case that Tryamkin can actually play in the top-six.

Everything looked rosy early on. Apparently Green spent an hour on the phone with Tryamkin talking about next season (either Green learned to speak Russian via hypnosis or Tryamkin's English has improved dramatically).

And just last month, Benning was singing the praises of Tryamkin for his skating, defensive positioning and imposing physical presence on the ice. A contract seemed imminent. So what happened?

I guess the signing of Rathbone was a factor. But the TSN crew speculating that Aquilini is finally starting to push back on some of these contracts, if they're for marginal players. And if he is, who could blame him?

COVID has decimated the revenues of every NHL team. And he must look at how much they were paying last year for AHL players and marginal guys like Benn who couldn't even get out of the press-box. He's the owner of a team trying to win the Stanley Cup, not the Calder Cup.

And as the financial crisis deepens, you have to wonder if Benning and company have new marching orders from ownership when it comes to expensive contracts. If so, finally!

I suppose it’s somewhat heartening to learn Aquilini has a limit to allowing money to be thrown around. Only wish this limit had reared its head much sooner.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
I dont really get what everyone is so worked up about. Hes a 6-7 defenseman at best. He has size and can skate ok but thats all he has. Hes never gonna be Chara , hes too soft.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I dont really get what everyone is so worked up about. Hes a 6-7 defenseman at best. He has size and can skate ok but thats all he has. Hes never gonna be Chara , hes too soft.

He's still better than 90% of the defencemen Benning has acquired. It's not that Tryamkin is amazing, it's that Benning's track record for finding NHL defencemen has been terrible.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You can talk about Covid or Benning's other signings that caused Tryamkin to not come over, but the only mistake you need to tie to this is signing Benn for 2 years instead of 1. It was incredibly obvious at the time that they didn't need to sign a fringe bottom-pairing guy for 2 years when you had a few young guys including Tryamkin potentially in the mix for 2020-21.

More short-sighted work by the management group tacking the extra year onto Benn to ensure they got him. Tryamkin offers the same things as Benn (6th/7th guy, can play either side) and not giving the team the flexibility to sign a similar player with more potential is a mistake. It's a minor mistake as I don't think Tryamkin is anything special, but just another example of the small mistakes adding up.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
You can talk about Covid or Benning's other signings that caused Tryamkin to not come over, but the only mistake you need to tie to this is signing Benn for 2 years instead of 1. It was incredibly obvious at the time that they didn't need to sign a fringe bottom-pairing guy for 2 years when you had a few young guys including Tryamkin potentially in the mix for 2020-21.

More short-sighted work by the management group tacking the extra year onto Benn to ensure they got him. Tryamkin offers the same things as Benn (6th/7th guy, can play either side) and not giving the team the flexibility to sign a similar player with more potential is a mistake. It's a minor mistake as I don't think Tryamkin is anything special, but just another example of the small mistakes adding up.

While I agree that Nik is the 1st real cap crunch casualty, I don't know that you can really link Benns deal so closely with negotiations with Nik. You could argue that Nik could replace Stecher too and then there's no contract vs contact issue.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
While I agree that Nik is the 1st real cap crunch casualty, I don't know that you can really link Benns deal so closely with negotiations with Nik. You could argue that Nik could replace Stecher too and then there's no contract vs contact issue.

1) Stecher is a much better player than Tryamkin. He is an established top 5 defenseman while Tryamkin is not. One should not impact the other. And yes, I make a distinction for a "top 5" guy as in someone who could play heavy minutes in the top 4 for long periods of time in case of injury. Stecher has proven he can do that, Tryamkin has not.

2) Travis Green likes his blueline to play the same side that they shoot. They would be penciling in Tryamkin on the left-side, not into Stecher's spot. I know Tryamkin can play both sides, but so can Benn and Green avoided doing that for the same reason.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
1) Stecher is a much better player than Tryamkin. He is an established top 5 defenseman while Tryamkin is not. One should not impact the other. And yes, I make a distinction for a "top 5" guy as in someone who could play heavy minutes in the top 4 for long periods of time in case of injury. Stecher has proven he can do that, Tryamkin has not.

2) Travis Green likes his blueline to play the same side that they shoot. They would be penciling in Tryamkin on the left-side, not into Stecher's spot. I know Tryamkin can play both sides, but so can Benn and Green avoided doing that for the same reason.

Except most people saw Benn as a good depth signing. You're now trying to turn him into a narrative that boxes that single contract into the reason for not having Tryamkin. You can't make such a specific argument, there are cap issues all over the place, as well as cap clearing options, that play into this.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Except most people saw Benn as a good depth signing. You're now trying to turn him into a narrative that boxes that single contract into the reason for not having Tryamkin. You can't make such a specific argument, there are cap issues all over the place, as well as cap clearing options, that play into this.

Here were my brief thoughts last year before the signing:

Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

And now here we are.

Some situations are more complicated than others and this one isn't complicated. Benn essentially blocked Tryamkin in both a roster spot and salary, that's it.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Here were my brief thoughts last year before the signing:

Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

And now here we are.

Some situations are more complicated than others and this one isn't complicated. Benn essentially blocked Tryamkin in both a roster spot and salary, that's it.

But at the time Nik was committed to Avto. Benning didn't know if he was going to be here or not, so you're suggesting he should run his team based on the chance that Nik might sign down the road? really?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
But at the time Nik was committed to Avto. Benning didn't know if he was going to be here or not, so you're suggesting he should run his team based on the chance that Nik might sign down the road? really?

He was only committed through 2019-20.

And not specifically Tryamkin, no. There were numerous options internally potentially pushing for a depth roster spot in 2020-21 including Tryamkin. And if all of them flame out as options, guys like Fantenberg are always available on 1-yr cheap deals.

The team should not be in the habit of giving multi-year deals to UFA fringe defensemen or 4th line players. Seems more obvious now than ever.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
See it differently. Tryamkin went the safe route where there is more likely to be a season. And the Canucks are still in cap hell, whatever offer they made would be damaged by clawback, and also probably only a 50 game season. He made the smart choice again.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

And not specifically Tryamkin, no. There were numerous options internally potentially pushing for a depth roster spot in 2020-21 including Tryamkin. And if all of them flame out as options, guys like Fantenberg are always available on 1-yr cheap deals.

The team should not be in the habit of giving multi-year deals to UFA fringe defensemen or 4th line players. Seems more obvious now than ever.

Much as I hate the Myers contract and as bad as the back end of it will be eventually, I can at least understand the contact. Take out the $value, and he is a useful mid-level player who fills a role in the short term.

The Ferland and Benn contracts? Just sheer idiocy. The slightest bit of planning by a small child should have told them how much cap trouble they were already in in 2020 and 2021, and that adding more long-term contracts (especially to depth players) was absolutely asinine. But these guys were absolutely desperate to win their Fake Stanley Cup of Playoffs 2020! in order to keep their jobs, so they recklessly spent every cent possible in 19-20 at the expense of the health of the franchise and development of the team, and now we're going to lose far better players as a result and the team is going backward.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
See it differently. Tryamkin went the safe route where there is more likely to be a season. And the Canucks are still in cap hell, whatever offer they made would be damaged by clawback, and also probably only a 50 game season. He made the smart choice again.

That's not what happened. He made the choice to play in the NHL but the Canucks wanted a 2-way deal. So yes, I agree the end result will work out just fine for him but this was hardly his choice.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Much as I hate the Myers contract and as bad as the back end of it will be eventually, I can at least understand the contact. Take out the $value, and he is a useful mid-level player who fills a role in the short term.

The Ferland and Benn contracts? Just sheer idiocy. The slightest bit of planning by a small child should have told them how much cap trouble they were already in in 2020 and 2021, and that adding more long-term contracts (especially to depth players) was absolutely asinine. But these guys were absolutely desperate to win their Fake Stanley Cup of Playoffs 2020! in order to keep their jobs, so they recklessly spent every cent possible in 19-20 at the expense of the health of the franchise and development of the team, and now we're going to lose far better players as a result and the team is going backward.

It's just the usual stuff.

"They shouldn't have signed Benn for the two years"

"Hindsight"

"Here is where I said they shouldn't sign him for more than 1 year prior to the signing, with basic reasoning"

Can we not even agree on this forum that signing Benn for more than one year was obviously a mistake? Why is that even a discussion?

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK

I'd agree with the last line, moving forward from this year. It didn't matter until now.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
I'd agree with the last line, moving forward from this year. It didn't matter until now.

I'd argue it's always important. You should never lock in term to fringe NHLers. Restricts your options on moving on from one who isn't working out.

Plus perhaps I'm alone in thinking this but you don't give a certain kind of player term because it can make them too comfortable. A guy who makes his living hitting and going into the rough areas all of sudden doesn't need to because he has his term and contract.

Reactions: mossey3535

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I mean, they just couldn't sign Tryamkin because of Benn so it already matters. Not a lot because neither guy is that important, but it's something.

And if they lose more guys this off-season, it will continue to matter. Reading your other posts I know you want to wait to see what happens before being too critical, and I agree. We'll see what happens in the next few months.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
I'd argue it's always important. You should never lock in term to fringe NHLers. Restricts your options on moving on from one who isn't working out.

Plus perhaps I'm alone in thinking this but you don't give a certain kind of player term because it can make them too comfortable. A guy who makes his living hitting and going into the rough areas all of sudden doesn't need to because he has his term and contract.

It only makes "sense" if you are trying to prolong some sort of core.... i.e. Linden's belief that the Sedins and Edler were enough.

I mean, they just couldn't sign Tryamkin because of Benn so it already matters. Not a lot because neither guy is that important, but it's something.

And if they lose more guys this off-season, it will continue to matter. Reading your other posts I know you want to wait to see what happens before being too critical, and I agree. We'll see what happens in the next few months.

IMO I would have signed Nik, and let Stecher walk as a UFA. He's a great kid but he's small, which is OK if your d group doesn't already have some small guys.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
It only makes "sense" if you are trying to prolong some sort of core.... i.e. Linden's belief that the Sedins and Edler were enough.

IMO I would have signed Nik, and let Stecher walk as a UFA. He's a great kid but he's small, which is OK if your d group doesn't already have some small guys.

It makes sense anytime. If you're rebuilding you can move players for futures much easier when they don't have term.

Letting Stecher walk, especially for Tryamkin would be a colossal mistake but par for the course of this management.

Stecher is a guy who starts every year on the bottom pairing and quietly makes his way up the lineup through the year and never looks out of place. He never complains and always performs well at what's asked of him.

He's the kind of player you do give term to, lock him up for a team friendly deal.

Tryamkin is such an unknown. He's tall, really tall, that's about it. Let a sure thing go for magic beans.

Reactions: vanuck and Grumpy1

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
It makes sense anytime. If you're rebuilding you can move players for futures much easier when they don't have term.

Letting Stecher walk, especially for Tryamkin would be a colossal mistake but par for the course of this management.

Stecher is a guy who starts every year on the bottom pairing and quietly makes his way up the lineup through the year and never looks out of place. He never complains and always performs well at what's asked of him.

He's the kind of player you do give term to, lock him up for a team friendly deal.

Tryamkin is such an unknown. He's tall, really tall, that's about it. Let a sure thing go for magic beans.

the market value for Stech has been set at bottom pairing. I think it was Freidman that had that info last TDL. I see Stech get beat a lot by larger F's, I do love his work ethic tho. I don't see him being worth his Q.O. tho given the flat cap.

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
How do you know he was a cap casualty? Cause his agent said so? Maybe they asked for way too much money or term.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

He is not just tall, he's a physical beast. We saw what happened when players tried to engage him. He basically swatted away some pretty tough characters. I don't understand how fans can ignore that the playoffs are a grind. I think the Canucks would have won in 2011 if they didn't have the shit beaten out of them. Now our hope lies on 2 exceptionly skilled light weights. You think they are going to survive the play ins with Minn, and then the next 4 rounds. Great that we have a ton of overpaid meat and potato guys, but I don't see any of them as the guy who is going to punish an asshole for a cheap shot.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
How do you know he was a cap casualty? Cause his agent said so? Maybe they asked for way too much money or term.

If we had say even 5 mil in cap space, then I think the deal gets done. But as it is now, to sign Nik someone on the current roster knows they're gone, which is shite for team chemistry heading into the play-in.

Reactions: MarkMM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad