OT: Trucker protest in Ottawa - NO POLITICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Glad they have the right to protest. But in Kanata, the idling, flag-adorned F350 pulled halfway up on the curb outside the LCBO while there were tracts of empty spots just twenty paces away today reinforced my impression of these protesters' attitudes. No commitment to a social contract. Just oppositional defiance, and a me-first attitude.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We had this in Quebec a while ago

233527670_10157843296777143_2908046542609329626_n.jpg

Apparently they’re already shitting on the street. Yep. Best our country has to offer fersherrrer

Do you mean real pooping like these "feces attacks" and "serial poopers"? I mean wtf is wrong with people lol?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The complete picture of it being organized by racist wexit radicals?

No, not really, I’ve seen/heard two interviews with two of the convoy organizers… one of them being a priest…. On US news outlets…. Funny that the State Funded news outlet in Canada couldn’t do the same…. But instead paints the convoy as racists, white supremacists and worse… and some people, perhaps yourself buying what they’re selling

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
No, not really, I’ve seen/heard two interviews with two of the convoy organizers… one of them being a priest…. On US news outlets…. Funny that the State Funded news outlet in Canada couldn’t do the same…. But instead paints the convoy as racists, white supremacists and worse… and some people, perhaps yourself buying what they’re selling

So the person raising money for the convoy is not one of the organizers?
Nor is the person who talks about the 'Great Replacement' and how Anglo-Saxon bloodlines are the purest?

Reactions: Deku

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Well the gofundme organizer - Tamara Lich, directly from her Maverick Party page...
Following the federal election in 2019 and believing the west deserves better, Tamara became Regional Coordinator for Wexit in the South Eastern Alberta area, eventually joining the interim board for Wexit Alberta. After seeing a successful merger between Wexit Alberta and the Freedom Conservative party to create the Wildrose Independence Party...

So :shrug:

I live in Calgary, and this is literally the second time I've heard of the Maverick party in my life. The first time I heard about it was when I was talking to my mom in Ottawa. You're just reinforcing my point. Nobody in Western Canada cares about these parties. They're just a boogeyman Eastern Canadians like to bring up for some reason. They had 0.21% of the vote at the last election, behind other parties I've never heard of, which is completely laughable.

Reactions: Sensators

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I live in Calgary, and this is literally the second time I've heard of the Maverick party in my life. The first time I heard about it was when I was talking to my mom in Ottawa. You're just reinforcing my point. Nobody in Western Canada cares about these parties. They're just a boogeyman Eastern Canadians like to bring up for some reason. They had 0.21% of the vote at the last election, behind other parties I've never heard of, which is completely laughable.

Regardless of how well known they are, they're the ones organizing this rally (for visibility perhaps?) and so their views reflect on the rally itself. That's my point

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So the person raising money for the convoy is not one of the organizers?
Nor is the person who talks about the 'Great Replacement' and how Anglo-Saxon bloodlines are the purest?
And you know every single organizer, except the ones I told you about being interviewed on US TV and Radio….

irregardless…. You seem to disagree with the reasons they’re protesting, and want to ignore the science that countries around the world are using to end the vaccine and mask mandates.

you know, if the mask and vaccine mandates were lifted, and everyone could return to making their own choices… there would be no impact on you…… wear a mask until your dying day it you want, or not….. have a booster every three weeks, or not.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
People need to stop associating vaccine and mandate skepticism with racism and White nationalism.

Are there people that share both views? For sure. But to act like it’s a majority is disingenuous.

We don’t have demographic data on who’s actually been vaccinated, but we do have a lot of data about sentiment.

And when you look at the data, the groups that have the highest levels of vaccine hesitancy are:

- Black Canadians
- Indigenous people
- Immigrants

Vaccine hesitancy is especially high amongst working class people in those groups.

And it’s easy to understand why. Because of their life experiences, and the systemic disadvantages they’ve faced, those groups are the least trusting of government. And honestly, rightfully so.

This is much more about class than race.

So when professional class White people go on social media and call everyone who has hesitancy a racist and idiot, and talks down to them, it only widens that divide.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
And you know every single organizer, except the ones I told you about being interviewed on US TV and Radio….

irregardless…. You seem to disagree with the reasons they’re protesting, and want to ignore the science that countries around the world are using to end the vaccine and mask mandates.

you know, if the mask and vaccine mandates were lifted, and everyone could return to making their own choices… there would be no impact on you…… wear a mask until your dying day it you want, or not….. have a booster every three weeks, or not.

The "science that countries around the world..." that we're doing the exact same thing?
Ontario announced that it was slowly lifting restrictions well before this rally, as have several other provinces. The border requirement is a reciprocal action against US policy and so Biden is actually responsible there.

So what it is accomplishing other than being a lightning rod for a bunch of fringe right?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
People need to stop associating vaccine and mandate skepticism with racism and White nationalism.

Are there people that share both views? For sure. But to act like it’s a majority is disingenuous.

We don’t have demographic data on who’s actually been vaccinated, but we do have a lot of data about sentiment.

And when you look at the data, the groups that have the highest levels of vaccine hesitancy are:

- Black Canadians
- Indigenous people
- Immigrants

Vaccine hesitancy is especially high amongst working class people in those groups.

And it’s easy to understand why. Because of their life experiences, and the systemic disadvantages they’ve faced, those groups are the least trusting of government. And honestly, rightfully so.

This is much more about class than race.

So when professional class White people go on social media and call everyone who has hesitancy a racist and idiot, and talks down to them, it only widens that divide.

Unfortunately, thanks to various reasons - the white nationalists have coopted yet another thing.

Hesitancy is one thing, and can be reasoned with. And you can have good discussions to that effect.

These type of protests are literally 'the gubmint says so, so I say no'... There's no way to rationalize with them.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Unfortunately, thanks to various reasons - the white nationalists have coopted yet another thing.

I wouldn’t say that. It’s just what the media has chosen to focus on.

It’s socially acceptable to vilify a 35 year old, White oil worker from Alberta for not getting vaccinated and being against government mandates. It’s not as socially acceptable to focus on the 57 year old immigrant from Venezuela who shares that skepticism.

I think people would be shocked how many people within working class, minority communities support this protest.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No one is believing state sponsored media dude. Sometimes assholes are just assholes. No media bias needed

ksens

Mar 8, 2006

This protest isn't about "vaccine hesitancy". There is a good discussion to have about pubic health and how to convince hesitant groups to get vaccinated and stop disproportionately clogging out health care system, sure.

The protest is another excuse for racists, bigots, religious nuts and a bunch of other extremists to vent their views. Oh look lets get Maxime Bernier and Randy Hillier to speak, it is like moths to a flame. Confederate flags, Trump flags and acting like petulant children who are not getting their way.

And I know this for a fact because both of my teenagers are working their service jobs this weekend and are being forced to deal with these assholes.

So I'm not associating vaccine hesitancy with white nationalists and racists. I'm saying the people protesting downtown are white nationalists and racists. Because they are.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The "science that countries around the world..." that we're doing the exact same thing?
Ontario announced that it was slowly lifting restrictions well before this rally, as have several other provinces. The border requirement is a reciprocal action against US policy and so Biden is actually responsible there.

So what it is accomplishing other than being a lightning rod for a bunch of fringe right?
They’re fighting against a “booster every 3 weeks” according to count. So they’ve accomplished so much as my booster for 3 weeks from now was cancelled and the one 3 weeks after wa cancelled too wow

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
272889293_10158118399051557_5329563384640467397_n.jpg

The science has shown that the vaccine does not prevent you from catching the virus, or from spreading it… so no difference between a person who is vaxxed, or someone who is not vaxxed, in that regard…. Yes, an unvaxxed person will experience a much more severe reaction if they catch the virus… but anyone who is vaxxed, should not fear someone who it not… the science clearly show that.

as for the an unvaxxed trucker, who picks up his load, contactless…. Remains contactless while transporting and delivering his load, taking every precaution to protect him self….. how is he a thread to spread the virus?…..the government has not shown one single shred of evidence that a single person has caught the virus from an unvaxxed trucker.

Tucker Carlson Interviews Canadian Freedom Convoy Spokesperson Benjamin Dichter

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
This protest isn't about "vaccine hesitancy". There is a good discussion to have about pubic health and how to convince hesitant groups to get vaccinated and stop disproportionately clogging out health care system, sure.

The protest is another excuse for racists, bigots, religious nuts and a bunch of other extremists to vent their views. Oh look lets get Maxime Bernier and Randy Hillier to speak, it is like moths to a flame. Confederate flags, Trump flags and acting like petulant children who are not getting their way.

And I know this for a fact because both of my teenagers are working their service jobs this weekend and are being forced to deal with these assholes.

So I'm not associating vaccine hesitancy with white nationalists and racists. I'm saying the people protesting downtown are white nationalists and racists. Because they are.

Go ahead and put people into neat tidy boxes to justify your feelings. It’s easier that way. The reality is much more nuanced and complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad