Player Discussion Troy Terry

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There are a lot better options than Terry for the US to take.
Kane has potentially taken himself out of the mix, so assuming that Terry can continue playing like this vs a hot streak, who would you say is a “lot” better? A healthy Wheeler, Boeser, but I don’t see a lot of top tier RW for the US.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kane has potentially taken himself out of the mix, so assuming that Terry can continue playing like this vs a hot streak, who would you say is a “lot” better? A healthy Wheeler, Boeser, but I don’t see a lot of top tier RW for the US.

Rightly or wrongly there is not a chance Kane doesn’t go unless he’s hurt.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Rightly or wrongly there is not a chance Kane doesn’t go unless he’s hurt.
Yeah, it’s gross, but I can’t argue that. I still think that there is a lack of true top end RW though. IF Terry can somehow keep up this pace, I think he has a reasonable chance of getting a nod. That’s a huge “if” though.

Reactions: Paul4587

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Definitely agree with your sentiment here.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I would still take Patrick Kane over Troy Terry. They aren’t even in the same conversation. One has a game breaking ability, the other is just finding his groove now

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I would still take Patrick Kane over Troy Terry. They aren’t even in the same conversation. One has a game breaking ability, the other is just finding his groove now
Skill wise absolutely. Whether US hockey wants the distraction of someone involved in what’s essentially a rape cover up who’s now not showing any remorse was what I was driving at.

And it was more the next 2-3 RW I was referring to.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
4 goals in 5 games.

His previous career best is 4 goals in 7 games, coming last season. His third-best is 4 goals in 11 games (using the same two-goal game that keyed the 7-game stretch). His fourth-best is 19 games in early 2019.

This sort of scoring burst is completely unprecedented for him, and it's *way* more amenable to the superstar hopes than anything he's done before. Putting the puck in the net matters for forwards.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The potential was always there it was always whether he could consistently create as opposed to having streaks where he was good and long stretches of disappearance. This year so far he is consistently doing so which is awesome. I said earlier on I see a TJ Oshie type impact from him if everything goes right and currently it looks like he might get to that level.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
The potential was always there it was always whether he could consistently create as opposed to having streaks where he was good and long stretches of disappearance. This year so far he is consistently doing so which is awesome. I said earlier on I see a TJ Oshie type impact from him if everything goes right and currently it looks like he might get to that level.

Oshie without the physicality and a bit more hands.

Reactions: Paul4587

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I'm only gonna give partial credit if Terry becomes a goal-scoring machine. Most of the arguments revolved around whether he would still be useful if he didn't score goals but kept making hero passes.

This is a kid who scored in college, then scored 23 goals in 55 career AHL games. There were always signs that he wasn't going to be a guy who would struggle to score enough to make him a pretty good player given his other skills. Give skilled guys time to develop.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
This is a kid who scored in college, then scored 23 goals in 55 career AHL games. There were always signs that he wasn't going to be a guy who would struggle to score enough to make him a pretty good player given his other skills. Give skilled guys time to develop.

Half a goal per game in the AHL isn't bad. It's better than what most guys do. But it's not enough to say "man, that guys is gonna score goals in the NHL."

What Terry is doing is *unusual*. Going from absolutely awful at 22 to ok at 23 to (so far) excellent at 24 is an extremely unusual career path. It's not unheard of, but it was never reasonable to expect it.

And while some people are excited to spike this particular football, and I get it, he was hardly the only prospect that got argued about in the same way. As recently as last year, the argument that Steel hadn't proven he belonged in the NHL was pretty controversial and now it's pretty much consensus.

The 2018-19 Ducks fielded 9 players who were 21 years old or younger. Here's the list:

Lundestrom, Mahura, Steel, Jones, Comtois, Larsson, Guhle, Sprong, Terry.

Terry has improved drastically.

Lundestrom and Mahura have improved incrementally and steadily.

Steel, Jones, Larsson, Guhle and Sprong haven't improved meaningfully at all.

Comtois looked like he had shot forward but now has somehow gotten worse (I'm way more chagrined at how sure I was about him than how doubtful I've been on Terry).

Guys getting better in their early 20s isn't a slam dunk. It's not even a 50/50 proposition.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Half a goal per game in the AHL isn't bad. It's better than what most guys do. But it's not enough to say "man, that guys is gonna score goals in the NHL."

What Terry is doing is *unusual*. Going from absolutely awful at 22 to ok at 23 to (so far) excellent at 24 is an extremely unusual career path. It's not unheard of, but it was never reasonable to expect it.

And while some people are excited to spike this particular football, and I get it, he was hardly the only prospect that got argued about in the same way. As recently as last year, the argument that Steel hadn't proven he belonged in the NHL was pretty controversial and now it's pretty much consensus.

The 2018-19 Ducks fielded 9 players who were 21 years old or younger. Here's the list:

Lundestrom, Mahura, Steel, Jones, Comtois, Larsson, Guhle, Sprong, Terry.

Terry has improved drastically.

Lundestrom and Mahura have improved incrementally and steadily.

Steel, Jones, Larsson, Guhle and Sprong haven't improved meaningfully at all.

Comtois looked like he had shot forward but now has somehow gotten worse (I'm way more chagrined at how sure I was about him than how doubtful I've been on Terry).

Guys getting better in their early 20s isn't a slam dunk. It's not even a 50/50 proposition.

Saying that "it's not unheard of" for highly talented kids to improve after the age of 23 is a bit misleading. It happens all the time. Of course it was never a slam dunk, and players do stagnate early, but improvement past the age of 23 was always on the table, especially for someone this skilled.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Saying that "it's not unheard of" for highly talented kids to improve after the age of 23 is a bit misleading. It happens all the time. Of course it was never a slam dunk, and players do stagnate early, but improvement past the age of 23 was always on the table, especially for someone this skilled.

I'll agree it was always on the table. But it's rarer than people think.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Would we still include him in an Eichel trade ? His value is at an all time high but his contract is so valuable while Eichel is paid 10mil and might never be the same again

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Would we still include him in an Eichel trade ? His value is at an all time high but his contract is so valuable while Eichel is paid 10mil and might never be the same again
It depends what the addition is. If Terry is the center piece of the deal then hell yeah I do it still. I love Troy but Eichel is a higher level player. If it’s McTavish+Terry+ Perreault/Zellwegger/Dostal then I really have to think about it at this point

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'll trade anybody. It's just a question of value.

I suspect Buffalo values Eichel a lot more than I do, and they'll probably find a buyer that agrees.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It depends what the addition is. If Terry is the center piece of the deal then hell yeah I do it still. I love Troy but Eichel is a higher level player. If it’s McTavish+Terry+ Perreault/Zellwegger/Dostal then I really have to think about it at this point
Yeah even if Terry has becomes a PPG winger going forward, a PPG 1C > PPG 1W as well as Eichel not being Soft.
That said if the price was McTavish + Terry ++ i'd say no.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think Terry might just turn into the Ducks version of Marner in terms of production and position (RW) and their the same height (6'0)
Could see Terry being a 20 goal 45 to 50 assist type.
Not talking about their play styles, just how i could see his production looking like from the Wing.

For this reason imagine Terry and McTavish together on a line.
McTavish/Terry could be like a lesser version of the Mathews/Marner line, just hopefully better playoff performers.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah even if Terry has becomes a PPG winger going forward, a PPG 1C > PPG 1W as well as Eichel not being Soft.
That said if the price was McTavish + Terry ++ i'd say no.

I like the devil I know than the devil I don't.

Eichel has so many variables in play, including his salary. With Terry finally actualizing closer to his potential and it is showing consistently, then I say stay put. Getz won't be here forever, but we do have Zegras and McTavish going forward for Terry to play with. Seeing that Zegras and Milano have chemistry, but also a defensively weak pair, then Terry would probably play with McTavish in the future.

The more our prospects develop this season, the value for Eichel gets lower. Gulls head coach raved about McTavish in his first game on the ice. Every coach that has coached McTavish says the same thing, they love him and what he brings. A McTavish-Terry pairing could be the future of the franchise.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Terry might just turn into the Ducks version of Marner in terms of production and position (RW) and their the same height (6'0)
Could see Terry being a 20 goal 45 to 50 assist type.
Not talking about their play styles, just how i could see his production looking like from the Wing.

For this reason imagine Terry and McTavish together on a line.
McTavish/Terry could be like a lesser version of the Mathews/Marner line, just hopefully better playoff performers.
Terry and McTavish on paper sounds good... Hell

Comtois Mctavish Terry could be a pretty good combination, if comtois ever wakes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad