Player Discussion Troy Stecher, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I agree with that statement, but our pro scouting staff's failures in recognizing defencemens' levels of play is a major concern. I doubt that the Canucks will qualify Stecher but hope they sign him at a reasonable price rather than having them think they've found another bargain along the lines of Bartkowski.
If Benning was smart (which he's proven many times that he’s not) he’d sign Troy to 5 year deal for 10 to 12.5 million total dollars.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think Stecher at around 2.5 (small raise on QO) is absolutely fine for our number 5 D who can move up to top 4 in a pinch. I see his name in rumours but I'm not sure why. We won't get a better player at that price (unless we overpay in trade). And I don't think other teams value what Stecher brings. Frankly, think he is more valuable to Van than others at around 2.5. He seems to like it here and would be willing to sign a reasonable contract like Walker did in LA. Also, not like we have much coming on the RD. Maybe Woo, but you should never count on a rookie for a roster spot, unless he was selected at the very top of the first round, and even then.

Reactions: I am toxic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think Stecher at around 2.5 (small raise on QO) is absolutely fine for our number 5 D who can move up to top 4 in a pinch. I see his name in rumours but I'm not sure why. We won't get a better player at that price (unless we overpay in trade). And I don't think other teams value what Stecher brings. Frankly, think he is more valuable to Van than others at around 2.5. He seems to like it here and would be willing to sign a reasonable contract like Walker did in LA. Also, not like we have much coming on the RD. Maybe Woo, but you should never count on a rookie for a roster spot, unless he was selected at the very top of the first round, and even then.
The “why” for the Troy rumours (us not resigning him) is because Benning signed a bunch of old guys, who can’t play anymore, to toxic contracts.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would do that deal but would Troy?
In the current economy of the league a guaranteed 10-12.5 million (over five years) might be what Troy needs to stay and play fir his home team. We have so many bad contracts on the books currently we might need to have a minimum salary guy taking Troy’s spot. Like Rafferty?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
The “why” for the Troy rumours (us not resigning him) is because Benning signed a bunch of old guys, who can’t play anymore, to toxic contracts.
Yes I know - I am a fan of this team. Despite your exaggeration (some of these guys can play, just not up to their contracts), you are correct and that is where we should look to shed. What I'm saying is it just isn't worth it to deal Troy. I think his contract will be around 2.5. We can't sign a better player for that, his value in trades is small, and the cap relief from trading him is minimal. In no particular order, I would trade Eriksson + sweetner(s), Virtanen, Sutter, and/or buy out Beagle, Baertshi, Roussel. All make more sense to me than trading Troy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In the current economy of the league a guaranteed 10-12.5 million (over five years) might be what Troy needs to stay and play fir his home team. We have so many bad contracts on the books currently we might need to have a minimum salary guy taking Troy’s spot. Like Rafferty?

I was more referring to the fact that Stecher can make more money going the UFA route. Stecher may still see himself as a player with room to grow. Let's face it, $2-$2.5M AAV is a really good deal for a quality #5.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I was more referring to the fact that Stecher can make more money going the UFA route. Stecher may still see himself as a player with room to grow. Let's face it, $2-$2.5M AAV is a really good deal for a quality #5.
Hutton tried that last year (in a good economic environment) and ended up with a one year show me deal. I really like Stecher, and hope he and Benning can come to a fair deal. I just don’t think Benning has Troy on his priority list.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
We’re losing Tanev to Pittsburgh, resigning Stecher should be a top priority. He was very good in the playoffs, led the team in +\-, made smart decisions and brought it consistently. He’s a bit underrated and shouldn’t cost too much, should be resigned.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
As much as players deserve a fair share of revenues as they negotiated in the CBA, they have to expect that there is downward pressure on salaries. Gate revenues, for many teams the most significant source of revenues, could be down 50% next year. The league will obviously try to compensate for lost gate revenues by increasing TV revenues. Nevertheless, the owners AND the players are likely going to take a big hit. Escrow doesn't even start to make up for the projected reduction. There is a league minimum and the top guys will still get paid. It will be the "middle class" that gets hit the most.

I am fascinated to see what will happen to RFAs in the next couple of weeks. Stecher is a prime example. I suspect that many teams will walk away from mid tier RFAs with the hope that they will sign for less. I suspect they will try to get Stecher for 3x$1.75M, or decide to not sign him at all and trade his rights. But we'll see...

Reactions: Luckylarry

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
Troy is not a UFA. The team is not forced to sort out his status right away. They can wait until they figure out all the other contracts and then focus on him.

Step 1 is figure out your UFAs. Quick.
Step 2 is figure out your RFAs. You won't lose them and at worst you have first refusal on any arbitration awards or offer sheets so long as the player is not a NHL flight risk or a loose cannon.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Troy is not a UFA. The team is not forced to sort out his status right away. They can wait until they figure out all the other contracts and then focus on him.

Step 2 is figure out your RFAs. You won't lose them and at worst you have first refusal on any arbitration awards or offer sheets so long as the player is not a NHL flight risk or a loose cannon.
Troy becomes a UFA if we walk away from the arbitrator’s decision.

Reactions: David71

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Unless UFA decisions hinge on Stecher. For example, they may use his rights as a sweeter to move other contracts in order to sign Tofolli and Markstrom. These decisions are not necessarily independent.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Unless UFA decisions hinge on Stecher. For example, they may use his rights as a sweeter to move other contracts in order to sign Tofolli and Markstrom. These decisions are not necessarily independent.

Dont think Stecher has the value to be a Sweetener. Stecher is valuable to the Canucks but base on his usage. They used him as a third pairing D. Don't think a third pairing D that is going to make 2.5 M to 3 M has much value. His value is probably no more than a 3rd or 4th round pick.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Dont think Stecher has the value to be a Sweetener. Stecher is valuable to the Canucks but base on his usage. They used him as a third pairing D. Don't think a third pairing D that is going to make 2.5 M to 3 M has much value. His value is probably no more than a 3rd or 4th round pick.
We probably disagree a little on Stecher's value. To me he is a third pairing D-man on a good team and an insurance guy who can move up the line-up without a huge downgrade when injuries happen. Last year he averaged over 20 minutes per game. This year his minutes were down because Myers was in but his D-zone starts were over 60%. He has improved defensively every year and is a solid top 6 on most teams.
For a team looking to add solid defensive help both at forward and defense, Stecher plus Eriksson come at a very low cost, possibly less than $4M for the two of them.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Canucks can only walk away from an arbitration award if it's it's over $4,538,958.
Well, it’s not going to be that high, but it could be over 3 million. If
Troy chooses arbitration, do we say no? Does that make him a UFA?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well, it’s not going to be that high, but it could be over 3 million. If
Troy chooses arbitration, do we say no? Does that make him a UFA?

I don't believe the Canucks have that option if Troy elects arbitration.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't believe the Canucks have that option if Troy elects arbitration.
So if we give Troy a qualifying offer, and he refuses, but instead chooses arbitration we are then bound to arbitration, and we’re locked in to any number below the 4.5 million? Are we kind of stuck then? I thought if the player chooses arbitration we can say no, and they become a UFA? If not, we could be totally screwed with Troy and Jake.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
So if we give Troy a qualifying offer, and he refuses, but instead chooses arbitration we are then bound to arbitration, and we’re locked in to any number below the 4.5 million? Are we kind of stuck then? I thought if the player chooses arbitration we can say no, and they become a UFA? If not, we could be totally screwed with Troy and Jake.
yep, exactly

Who are possible comparables Stecher could use if he goes to arbitration?

edit: Kings signed Walker to a 4 year $2.65 per a few weeks back

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
yep, exactly

Who are possible comparables Stecher could use if he goes to arbitration?

edit: Kings signed Walker to a 4 year $2.65 per a few weeks back
I understand now why Benning said they had to discuss their RFAs. If he can’t dump a bad contract, then his only other way to clear cap room to sign his UFAs (one of them) is to let Troy and Jake walk. Maybe we don’t even qualify these two? God Benning sure has painted himself into a corner. We are likely to lose both Troy and Jake for nothing, because we are stuck with a long list of crap contracts. I knew our cap issue was bad, but this is really REALLY BAD! (Puke emoji)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce