Confirmed with Link: Troy Stecher and Nick Ritchie to Calgary, Connor Mackey and Brett Ritchie to Arizona

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The Flames also (apparently) had ownership's approval to shop next year's free agents, and retain salary to boot.

I suspect BT played hardball and why a deal couldn't get done for those guys. Which he should have done.
I don't really believe most of this "according to CP" stuff tbh

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Is Sutter going to actually bench Lucic for Ritchie? Probably Duehr to the pressbox which would be pathetic.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Treliving: I'm going to make make this TDL memorable.

Flames fans : Nooo

Treliving: *Makes NHL history at basically zero cost.*

Flames fans :

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I don't I have honest takes not overrating crap players. But our fan base struggles with looking at this team without rose colored glasses.

LOL phenomenal defensively????

See what I just saying about people overrating crap players.
He’s not wrong you know, like it honestly seems your view on hockey is a player is either PPG+ or is garbage, or a guy is top pair caliber or useless. Terms like “a strong 3rd liner” seem non existent to you.

Is he Chris Tanev? No. Is he a very strong bottom pair defender (no offensive game to speak of though) who can move up to second pair when needed while still providing safe minutes? Very much so, even in Arizona the last month or two he’s been providing 18-20 minutes of plus hockey for that team, while being the only defender on his team to have a positive goal differential. Once he fits in he should stabilize our bottom pair, and hopefully allow Zadorov to get back to his start of season levels.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
He’s not wrong you know, like it honestly seems your view on hockey is a player is either PPG+ or is garbage, or a guy is top pair caliber or useless. Terms like “a strong 3rd liner” seem non existent to you.

Is he Chris Tanev? No. Is he a very strong bottom pair defender (no offensive game to speak of though) who can move up to second pair when needed while still providing safe minutes? Very much so, even in Arizona the last month or two he’s been providing 18-20 minutes of plus hockey for that team, while being the only defender on his team to have a positive goal differential. Once he fits in he should stabilize our bottom pair, and hopefully allow Zadorov to get back to his start of season levels.

Where have I ever said PPG or garbage?

Troy Stetcher is a AHL calibre player. He is in the league because Arizona is putting out an AHL level team and now gets a move to us because Treliving is in love with terrible depth defensemen. He can't play on a 2nd pairing for a successful team, he is a terrible option on a 3rd pairing.

If Stetcher is playing on our 3rd pairing the only thing he is solidifying is our 9th place finish.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Troy Stetcher is a AHL calibre player. He is in the league because Arizona is putting out an AHL level team and now gets a move to us because Treliving is in love with terrible depth defensemen. He can't play on a 2nd pairing for a successful team, he is a terrible option on a 3rd pairing.

If Stetcher is playing on our 3rd pairing the only thing he is solidifying is our 9th place finish.
…in pretty much every one of your takes on our forwards/defensemen. You have repeatedly went on record calling players like Mangiapane, Coleman, and Dube (could be wrong about that last one) garbage, despite Dube sitting around 90th in ES scoring for forwards (low end first line), and Coleman/Mangiapane ~120th (high end second line). I’m not claiming that’s their ideal roles, but it’s a lot closer than your opinions on them. You claim you’re the reasonable one when my Edmonton friend fans have more reasonable takes on our team.

I would bet good money you haven’t watched 5+ Arizona games this season, and I know you didn’t take a deep dive into the numbers to back that claim, so you can start to see why people take issue with your claims on players.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
…in pretty much every one of your takes on our forwards/defensemen. You have repeatedly went on record calling players like Mangiapane, Coleman, and Dube (could be wrong about that last one) garbage, despite Dube sitting around 90th in ES scoring for forwards (low end first line), and Coleman/Mangiapane ~120th (high end second line). I’m not claiming that’s their ideal roles, but it’s a lot closer than your opinions on them. You claim you’re the reasonable one when my Edmonton friend fans have more reasonable takes on our team.

I would bet good money you haven’t watched 5+ Arizona games this season, and I know you didn’t take a deep dive into the numbers to back that claim, so you can start to see why people take issue with your claims on players.

I don’t think any of those guys are garbage and quite like Dube, he may be my favourite although clearly not the best Flame.

I think Coleman is overpaid so would be tough to move and is the exact kind of guy you shouldn’t overpay but if he were in a decent deal he would be ok-ish.

Mangiapane is a good player to have when on his cheap deal but now is badly overpaid. He is a 3rd liner that can fill in in the top 6 but can’t be a key offensive guy.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I don’t think any of those guys are garbage and quite like Dube, he may be my favourite although clearly not the best Flame.

I think Coleman is overpaid so would be tough to move and is the exact kind of guy you shouldn’t overpay but if he were in a decent deal he would be ok-ish.

Mangiapane is a good player to have when on his cheap deal but now is badly overpaid. He is a 3rd liner that can fill in in the top 6 but can’t be a key offensive guy.
See it’s comments like this that imply you pretty much expect top line production or dismiss players. In the prior 3 years to this season Mangiapane scored at a pace of 28 goals per 82 games. In what realm is that a third line guy in any shape or form? Even if just basing it off his play since being reunited with Backlund, over that time frame his even strength production is at about the same totals as Patrick Kane, Debrincat, Bergeron, Bratt at a low end 1st line production. He was also quite literally just a key offensive guy the season prior on a very strong Flames team.

Coleman is exactly the kind of guy you pay, he was quite literally one of the pieces that pushed Tampa over the top for their first cup, and in an exclusively 2/3rd line defensive role he’s top 80 in the league for non-powerplay goals. He has more than guys like Gaudreau, Zibenejad, Marchand etc.

Kudos though, I genuinely believe you saying you like Dube is the first positive comment you’ve made about the team. If I misinterpreted you saying Coleman and Mangiapane have absolutely zero value repeatedly as calling them garbage that’s on me as well.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
See it’s comments like this that imply you pretty much expect top line production or dismiss players. In the prior 3 years to this season Mangiapane scored at a pace of 28 goals per 82 games. In what realm is that a third line guy in any shape or form? Even if just basing it off his play since being reunited with Backlund, over that time frame his even strength production is at about the same totals as Patrick Kane, Debrincat, Bergeron, Bratt at a low end 1st line production. He was also quite literally just a key offensive guy the season prior on a very strong Flames team.

Mangiapane has seasons of 32, 32, 56 points. Scoring pace means nothing, you don't get credit for scoring pace you get points for production. Debrincat had 78 points last year Mangiapane hasn't come close to that and show zero signs of ever getting there.

What strong Flames team? last year they were easily beaten by a weak Oilers team after struggling to get by a weak Stars team, that wasn't a strong team at all.

Coleman is exactly the kind of guy you pay, he was quite literally one of the pieces that pushed Tampa over the top for their first cup, and in an exclusively 2/3rd line defensive role he’s top 80 in the league for non-powerplay goals. He has more than guys like Gaudreau, Zibenejad, Marchand etc.

How much did Coleman make when he was with TB versus how much he makes now? How much did TB suffer by letting him go and not pay him his current salary? That is the problem.

Kudos though, I genuinely believe you saying you like Dube is the first positive comment you’ve made about the team. If I misinterpreted you saying Coleman and Mangiapane have absolutely zero value repeatedly as calling them garbage that’s on me as well.

I say they have very limited value based on their contracts. There are few, if any teams, that can afford to pay Coleman what he makes for the role he plays and have success. Same with Mangiapane.

The reason this is "the only positive thing" you have seen me post is a. you don't read much or remember much of what I post and b. there isn't much, if anything, to be positive about this team. it is a very unlikable group of players, with little to no success, in the worst situation to be in in modern NA sports- mediocrity. It has no stars, no good young players. The prospect (of the team) short term is shit, the long term projection is shit. I will gladly post a ton of positive things about the club when there are positives but what I don't do is post fake positive crap or overrate meh players. If others want to do it go ahead but I see zero reason why everyone should be expected to be a happy clapper.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
It looked like a kind of a patented Treliving deadline nothingburger, but both guys have been clear upgrades for us. If we do manage to crawl into the playoffs then this just may have been the difference. And we gave up no draft picks either. So good job Brad.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Troy has been exactly what the team needed on the blueline. Hes stabilized the bottom pairing and chipping in with some solid offense.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I was watching a Barnburner vid with Rhett Warrener , Boomer, and Pinder.

All three feel Stecher is a breath of fresh air and plays a solid game.

Rhett even went to far as to say that Stecher brings emotion to the team with his play. Something that has been lacking for a good part of the season.

Personally I hope they offer him an extension for the next few years. I like what I've been seeing from him. Gilbert too as far as that goes.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

He hasn't been in the AHL since 2016 and has played 436 games in the league since then.

No one's claiming he's this massive upgrade, but he was a third pairing defenseman for a Canucks team that played 17 games in the playoffs. So clearly he has some value.

If you search up the Yotes and Canucks board about Stetcher, most people were under no illusion he was anything but a third pairing guy, but they liked his play and didn't want him gone.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad