Confirmed with Link: Troy Stecher and Nick Ritchie to Calgary, Connor Mackey and Brett Ritchie to Arizona

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The Flames also (apparently) had ownership's approval to shop next year's free agents, and retain salary to boot.

I suspect BT played hardball and why a deal couldn't get done for those guys. Which he should have done.

I don't buy that rumor personally.
A full fledged sell off wasn't happening. Anyone who had that expectation will surely be disappointed today.

For me, I look at today's as a success all things considered since no assets were wasted.

Are you only allowed to trade FA's? I missed that rule.

No, but they are much, much easier trades to make at this juncture of a season.

Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Yes they are easier but we have so many guys we need to get rid of and who should have value I have a hard time thinking we couldn't have got good returns for guys like Backlund, Toffoli, Tanex, Hanifin giving teams the chance to have them for multiple play-off runs.

I know deals for Lindholm or Coleman, Markstrom, Hubredeau, Kadri are likely too hard or for the second group of players impossible due to them having no value.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This is a very weird thread, Calgary quite literally just addressed a couple needs for the team and somehow got the best 2 players in a 4 player deal, didn’t send a prospect of substance or a pick, and everyone’s instead talking about fantasizing over blowing our roster up with not long enough in the season left to actually change the pick much? Like if people believe gaining 5 points in the standing is insurmountable, how much can we possibly go down?

Zadorov’s been struggling for a while to carry Gilbert and Stone wasn’t much better, that pairing was bleeding goals against. Stecher will be huge for that, goal differential isn’t an ideal stat but he had the best one out of every Arizona defenseman who has played most of the season. The other Ritchie is just a pretty productive 4th liner, something we complain lots about around here not happening.

We finally at the point where we are complaining about improving the team at quite literally zero cost?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
But we didn't improve the team. Stecher isn't any better than the other 6/7/8 guys we have. He is terrible.
Nick isn't an upgrade over Brett, it is shit for shit.

This trade does nothing to help us compete for 8th, it doesn't get us closer to being tough to play against if we fluke out a play-off spot.

This is a nothing deal that doesn't make us better or worse in anyway. It might get the happy clapper fans to cheer but it doesn't move the needle an inch, it was pointless.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This is a very weird thread, Calgary quite literally just addressed a couple needs for the team and somehow got the best 2 players in a 4 player deal, didn’t send a prospect of substance or a pick, and everyone’s instead talking about fantasizing over blowing our roster up with not long enough in the season left to actually change the pick much? Like if people believe gaining 5 points in the standing is insurmountable, how much can we possibly go down?

Zadorov’s been struggling for a while to carry Gilbert and Stone wasn’t much better, that pairing was bleeding goals against. Stecher will be huge for that, goal differential isn’t an ideal stat but he had the best one out of every Arizona defenseman who has played most of the season. The other Ritchie is just a pretty productive 4th liner, something we complain lots about around here not happening.

We finally at the point where we are complaining about improving the team at quite literally zero cost?
I mean, the trade should theoretically push Lucic out of the regular lineup.

I was fine with Gilbert tbh. Whether Stetcher plays 6/7 D it doesn't matter a huge amount.

Overall verdict: Whelmed

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
We sure can't say Tre didn't do anything this trade deadline can we. Technically.

Also, does Nick look like Coleman? That alone had value for Ritchie now in Arizona. Sad.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Whatever, I'm ok as long as Ritchie replaces lucic so I never have to watch 17 handle a puck again

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

its a tread water move and the best 2 players is actually just that they are marginally better who will require time to become adjusted to Sutter hockey

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
If only our management and coaching staff had the guts to try out different things when things are not working.

Struggling to score goals -> call up our top scorers from the AHL team
Struggling to make saves -> call up the best goalie prospect that we've managed to develop in decades

There are plenty of stories where teams give their young rookie goalie a chance and it sparks the whole team into the playoffs and beyond. This team has such an old, rotten philosophy toward their young players, and for this reason I'd be happy if Treliving left and we got a GM who is not afraid to give chances to young players.

Reactions: flames23

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Brad said in his press conference today that one of the reasons behind moving Ritchie is Walker Duehr making the push of being a regular NHL’er and wanting to open up a spot for him on the RW which I was happy to hear
But that means he's replacing lucic then, that would be the greatest news ever

Reactions: super6646

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I mean, the trade should theoretically push Lucic out of the regular lineup.

I was fine with Gilbert tbh. Whether Stetcher plays 6/7 D it doesn't matter a huge amount.

Overall verdict: Whelmed

its a tread water move and the best 2 players is actually just that they are marginally better who will require time to become adjusted to Sutter hockey
Out of every pair we have given any serious time to this year. Zadorov-Gilbert gets scored against at the highest rate by far. Second highest rate? Zadorov-Stone.
Lots of people here looked at Stecher’s point totals and made their conclusion there. 3 out of the top 5 pairs at preventing goals on Arizona all included Stecher. With his two most common partners he’s played with, he gets scored on at lesser rates than any pair we have tried this season. While playing for Arizona. This dude is phenomenal defensively, not just some bargain bin player and definitely not a marginal increase on Gilbert. This should help our bottom pair not seemingly cost us a goal a game on a bad breakdown.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Why are we opening spots for crap like Walker Duehr?

Why not just bring in actual talent?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Why do you always have the worst takes imaginable?

I don't I have honest takes not overrating crap players. But our fan base struggles with looking at this team without rose colored glasses.

Out of every pair we have given any serious time to this year. Zadorov-Gilbert gets scored against at the highest rate by far. Second highest rate? Zadorov-Stone.
Lots of people here looked at Stecher’s point totals and made their conclusion there. 3 out of the top 5 pairs at preventing goals on Arizona all included Stecher. With his two most common partners he’s played with, he gets scored on at lesser rates than any pair we have tried this season. While playing for Arizona. This dude is phenomenal defensively, not just some bargain bin player and definitely not a marginal increase on Gilbert. This should help our bottom pair not seemingly cost us a goal a game on a bad breakdown.

LOL phenomenal defensively????

See what I just saying about people overrating crap players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00