Rumor: Troy Brouwer interested in Canucks

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who would you guys want more? Brouwer or Lucic? Just out of curiosity.

Brouwer quite easily, just because I like him as a person and as a player and would be happy to cheer for him in a Canuck jersey. The thought of Lucic as a Canuck makes me sick.

Also Brouwer's contract will probably prove to be smaller and less of a long-term disaster.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It gets interesting if Lucic's rumored contract numbers are accurate.

Lucic @ 6 years X $6M AAV (Age 27)

vs.

Brouwer @ 5 years X $4.5M AAV (Age 30)

Neither then, both are way too much, not to mention the likely scenario where both guys will become utterly useless plugs within 3 years.

Lucic for 4x5M, Brouwer for 3x4.5M, that would be worth considering.

Mad Brills*

Why are they interested in veterans when they're in a "rebuild?"

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Who would you guys want more? Brouwer or Lucic? Just out of curiosity.

Brouwer for several reasons. More affordable. better skater while still providing a physical presence and secondary scoring. Right handed shot and net front presence that could work with the Sedins like Kesler did.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Brouwer quite easily, just because I like him as a person and as a player and would be happy to cheer for him in a Canuck jersey. The thought of Lucic as a Canuck makes me sick.

Also Brouwer's contract will probably prove to be smaller and less of a long-term disaster.
I can get behind this. Brouwer at the very least has shown to be a decent human being, doesn't have the cessna-sized Vancouver baggage of Lucic and wouldn't command top-line minutes. The thought of Lucic signing here - and the talk is going to get louder each day he doesn't re-up with LA - makes me queasy.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

I think they'll be equivalently disastrous. I have a hard time imagining that Brouwer doesn't get 5/25 as a starting point. Given his age and the fact that he's never been nearly as good as Lucic, he probably has a chance to be a slightly lesser version of David Clarkson.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

Also, not that this is really worth much, but Troy's dad still lives in North Delta, and is just a terrific person.

Though he's always supported Troy wherever he went, I always got the feeling from talking to him that he'd like to be able to see his son on a more regular basis.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Yeah i think Lucic is coming first. Some pieces will need to be moved to fit Brouwer.

Higgins bought out
Burrows?
Sbisa?
Dorsett?
Miller?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Yeah i think Lucic is coming first. Some pieces will need to be moved to fit Brouwer.

Higgins bought out
Burrows?
Sbisa?
Dorsett?
Miller?

Sbisa Dorsett Miller aren't going anywhere, Benning made it abundantly clear that they are "his guys".

Sigh

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Anything more than 3 years @ 4.5M would be too hard to stomach.

5M for a 40 point player of any kind is too much and at his age with his playstyle, more than 3 years is asking for trouble.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Why are they interested in veterans when they're in a "rebuild?"

This is a playoff team that just missed out last season. And thats why no movement at TDL - Benning logic

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sbisa Dorsett Miller aren't going anywhere, Benning made it abundantly clear that they are "his guys".

Sigh

There's really no reason to have Sbisa or Dorsett in the line-up if we end up with Brouwer and Gudbranson. That doesn't even account for Lucic. Benning isn't exactly shrewd enough to figure that out though.

Interestingly, I wonder if a Brouwer acquisition in free agency would lead into a Hansen trade. Both 30-year old RWers, and I doubt we'd be able to afford Hansen in this scenario.

I'd be cautiously interested in seeing the team if we swapped Hansen, Burrows/Dorsett, and Sbisa for Lucic, Brouwer, and Gudbranson. Then pick Tkachuk/Dubois and see how it goes. Big team anway.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
why

This team needs younger players, not old guys who will be past their prime when needed.

Because we need to try to make the playoffs now so we can barely miss or get knocked out in the first round and get the 14th-16th pick.

Also because we need to have buyout candidates contracts in 3 years.

And because grit, leadership, hometown, meat and potatoes.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
It gets interesting if Lucic's rumored contract numbers are accurate.

Lucic @ 6 years X $6M AAV (Age 27)

vs.

Brouwer @ 5 years X $4.5M AAV (Age 30)

The AAV numbers are probably a bit conservative.

I would take that deal for Lucic easily. The goal is obviously to have another run at it with the Sedins but more backup. Lucic is still pretty young. If it doesn't work out we'll have plenty of time to rebuild properly.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
why

This team needs younger players, not old guys who will be past their prime when needed.

Agreed for the most part...this team also needs good players and upgrades in nearly if not all positions.
I don't mind trying to rebuild while adding solid players who are going to help shape the new core...

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
got to be aware of Hutton, Horvat, Tryamkin, and Gudbranson's RFA contracts next year. Markstrom and possibly Larsen's UFA status as well. then the unknowns Etem, Pedan, Gaunce

Gudbranson is likely getting 1.5m more.
Horvat improves again and you are looking at 4m.
Hutton improves again and we are looking at 3m+
Tryamkin is an unknown.
Markstrom is getting 3m+

Miller is minus 6m

buying out Burrows and Higgins leaves us with 3.33m in dead cap 2016-2017(3.67m to spend) then 1.833m in dead cap 2017-2018.(negative 1.833m to spend).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm not really interested in Brouwer to be honest.

If Brouwer chooses to sign with Vancouver, it will be at an undesirable term and cap hit. Brouwer has the type of physical game that doesn't age well. As good as Brouwer is, he's never been a 1st line type guy like a Ladd/Lucic/Backes, etc......and in the case of those three, even I'd be a bit hesitant to give those guys long term deals (the only reason why I would have done so, was if signing any of them immediately could have swayed a guy like Stamkos into signing here).

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

If Brouwer chooses to sign with Vancouver, it will be at an undesirable term and cap hit. Brouwer has the type of physical game that doesn't age well. As good as Brouwer is, he's never been a 1st line type guy like a Ladd/Lucic/Backes, etc......and in the case of those three, even I'd be a bit hesitant to give those guys long term deals (the only reason why I would have done so, was if signing any of them immediately could have swayed a guy like Stamkos into signing here).

No way. If you look at the post above yours, we will be in Cap Hell next year if we sign Stamkos and anyone else.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Actually brouwer at 3 yr $4.25M wouldn't be bad, and at that you could afford not to protect him if their is an expansion draft ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad