Rumor: Troy Brouwer interested in Canucks

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
the question is: how much?

Currently he's....what, 3.75m per? Will this just turn into Vrbata 2.0 kind of situation or what?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Love his game, but it doesn't make sense for us. But then again, neither has a lot of things we've done.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Do we seriously need to give out retirement contracts to local guys who are done playing seriously and just want to settle down? Brouwer, Lucic, these guys are not at the point in their careers where they're hungry to win. They're looking for one more payday.

If this team is going to be a rebuilding bottom-feeder next season (seems inevitable) then yes it's important to have reliable vets to insulate the young players from the *********. It's not a fancystats thing but I do believe it has value. But it doesn't work when the vet is a mercenary who can't contribute. Holding on to a guy like Burrows for another season makes more sense than overpaying somebody like Troy Brouwer to be effective in his first year in Vancouver (maybe) and then an anchor for the next three.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I love me some Troy Brouwer. A big power forward who can contribute offensively and has proven himself to be a winner? Yes please.

Brouwer would be a great presence on this team, could help with the youth and add size to the top six. Considering he's a BC boy and he already has his name on the Cup, I'd probably offer him a stupid deal to come here.

The idea of him with the Sedins is also intriguing.

It makes so much logic sense that it can't possibly happen with this management group.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
So, let's go down the checklist: Top-9 winger over 30, has a cup in his rear-view, career PPG of less than .5, asking price probably $5M+, will be long-gone by the time the kids are in their prime and will likely road-block one of them from playing a bigger role.

Yup. July 1 he's going to be wearing an orca.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This would have been a great acquisition ... five years ago. If we make the best offer something is screwed up. He should get better money/term and a better opportunity to compete elsewhere.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So, let's go down the checklist: Top-9 winger over 30, has a cup in his rear-view, career PPG of less than .5, asking price probably $5M+, will be long-gone by the time the kids are in their prime and will likely road-block one of them from playing a bigger role.

Yup. July 1 he's going to be wearing an orca.

Long-term contract....check
$5+ million cap hit....check
NTC........................Should this even be asked? Consider who the GM is.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty much as consistent and durable as it gets. Would much rather overpay on a short deal (2 years/10 mil) than something longterm.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
All things considered, and absolutely no offense to Brouwer himself because he's a good player and a good person, I would say **** no to the idea.

Unless Jimmy can secure something like 4.5M for 2-3 years, which seems about as plausible as establishing a 100,000 population colony on Mars within a month.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If Benning had to answer to me and asked if he could sign Brouwer. I would say:
Lose Vey, Prust, Dorsett, Granlund, Etem ...then yes you may sign him

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Pretty much as consistent and durable as it gets. Would much rather overpay on a short deal (2 years/10 mil) than something longterm.

that was Brandon Sutter up until this year. Keith Ballard too. i'm not sure what it is about this team but all these durable pieces break when they get here.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Brouwer because Lucic will get a 7 year, $7M+ AAV contract.

I wouldn't give Brouwer more than 3 years, he turns 31 before the start of next season.

It gets interesting if Lucic's rumored contract numbers are accurate.

Lucic @ 6 years X $6M AAV (Age 27)

vs.

Brouwer @ 5 years X $4.5M AAV (Age 30)

The AAV numbers are probably a bit conservative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad