Rumor: Troy Brouwer interested in Canucks

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Benning is probably doing a good job with the picks he's actually used but volume drafting is the way to go because we know the draft requires a lot of luck.

Both of y'all have valid points. Not going to interrupt that...

What I did want to add is.. players drafted still need a good foundation or system to develop & excel... and it all comes down to opportunity too..

Like Martin St. Louis with CGY.. and then TB... Or now Bonino with PIT vs with ANH or VAN...

I'm just not sure about splashing for Brouwer as he really is a RW3 on a contender...

I would prefer Lucic ..who could be a LW3.. but he could still be a LW1 for some teams if placed in the right situation, etc.. He has also won a cup too so if we squeeze in, who knows what could happen... Brouwer's skillset just seems too similar to Hansen's to splash the $$ some ppl have suggested here.

I mean unless somebody gives us an arm & leg for Hansen... I'm okay with splashing for Brouwer. The worst case scenario is if we trade Hansen on June 24th... and Brouwer re-signs with STL before July 1st.....

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
All of Lucic, Brouwer, and Ladd are Vancouver boys; wouldn't that be something if we brought them all home!

Sedin-Sedin-Brouwer
Lucic-Horvat-Baertschi
Ladd-Sutter-Virtanen
Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett
Etem, Vey

That would be a tough line up to play against. But it could never happen.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
All of Lucic, Brouwer, and Ladd are Vancouver boys; wouldn't that be something if we brought them all home!

Sedin-Sedin-Brouwer
Lucic-Horvat-Baertschi
Ladd-Sutter-Virtanen
Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett
Etem, Vey

Ain't happening... If the Canucks are lucky they get one and the best option I think is Brouwer based on Money, attitude and fit for the team.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Sedin-Sedin-Brouwer
Lucic-Horvat-Baertschi
Ladd-Sutter-Virtanen
Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett
Etem, Vey

Good Lord, and with the defence armed with Gudbranson, Sbisa, Tryamkin and Pedan, that's some serious bruising.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

Sedin-Sedin-Brouwer
Lucic-Horvat-Baertschi
Ladd-Sutter-Virtanen
Burrows-Granlund-Dorsett
Etem, Vey

Not that I condone this lineup, but it probably would have been possible had we not signed Miller or Sbisa.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The problem is they didn't use those picks and convert them into assets they really needed. Taking the BPA is fine but you still need to address your needs.

That's what I said! But you said their problem is that they only drafted skilled forwards. But that's not the case. They drafted BPA with their 1st overalls. Seems like you're confused about what you wrote.

Again, you're comparing Winnipeg to us when they are simply run very differently.

1. They weren't a great team when it came to the NHL roster when they came over from Atlanta. Yes I can say that their team is much better today than it was when they came over

The point is that the Jets management came in selling hope too. They preached patience and made the playoffs in year 4 but instead of taking the next step they are essentially rebuilding AGAIN.

That time-span is completely irrelevant. The Canucks and Leafs were in totally different positions during all of those years. I'm comparing the Canucks now to what the Leafs were before (their new management). Burke pretty much tried to do the same thing Benning is trying to do now: fast-forward the rebuild because of impatience and/or incompetence.

Well if you say the Jets are a different because they weren't a great team when they came over from Atlanta then the same argument should apply to the Leafs before their new management. Timespan is important. You talked about selling hope. The Leafs were ready for a full teardown before Burke got there. Tambellini was able to sell hope to the Oilers. Why? When Benning came on board how many Canucks fans were in favor of a complete tear-down rebuild? How many were in favor of retooling? You were talking about management selling a plan and the fans buying into it. When it comes to fans buying into it, the recent past does factor in.

The Leafs chose not to make the playoffs. They could have kept Kessel and Phaneuf and acquired a few big-names like some Canucks fans want to and try to go for it.

The Leafs couldn't have made the playoffs anyways even if they CHOSE to. Phaneuf trade is the equivalent of Benning trading Garrison for a 2nd. It was to get out of the contract. They traded Kessel in part to change the culture (this came from Shanahan). The Canucks are happy with the team's culture with the Sedins as leaders. Just not comparable.

I'm sure you've seen the picks in/out chart.

Benning is probably doing a good job with the picks he's actually used but volume drafting is the way to go because we know the draft requires a lot of luck.[/QUOTE]

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
That's what I said! But you said their problem is that they only drafted skilled forwards. But that's not the case. They drafted BPA with their 1st overalls. Seems like you're confused about what you wrote.

But they did draft only skilled forwards with all their (important) picks other than Nurse.

:huh:

That's the problem. BPA didn't really work in their case.

The point is that the Jets management came in selling hope too. They preached patience and made the playoffs in year 4 but instead of taking the next step they are essentially rebuilding AGAIN.

I don't doubt that it's probably taking them longer to get it going consistently than they would have hoped but by no means has their rebuild failed yet and they aren't starting over again completely just because they missed the playoffs. Again, they have an elite prospect pool.

They've lost two valuable top-6 wingers over the past year strictly because of budget reasons. Like I've been saying, they don't have the resources that we do so we likely won't be subject to these kinds of road blocks during our rebuild.

Any plan, rebuild or "going for it", will be tough when you're constantly losing players to free agency.

Well if you say the Jets are a different because they weren't a great team when they came over from Atlanta then the same argument should apply to the Leafs before their new management. Timespan is important. You talked about selling hope. The Leafs were ready for a full teardown before Burke got there. Tambellini was able to sell hope to the Oilers. Why? When Benning came on board how many Canucks fans were in favor of a complete tear-down rebuild? How many were in favor of retooling? You were talking about management selling a plan and the fans buying into it. When it comes to fans buying into it, the recent past does factor in.

Maybe I'm slow but I don't even know what the argument is in this section. :cry:

The Leafs couldn't have made the playoffs anyways even if they CHOSE to.

One could have said that about the Canucks last summer coming into this season and could probably say it again about the Canucks going into next season.

Yes, we're that bad.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
When are anti-rebuilders going to stop using this one extreme example? The Oilers were dumb and ****ed up their rebuild, that doesn't mean all rebuilds will get messed up.

Anti rebuilders look at the fact that teams like Chicago and Pitsburg that had "successful rebuilds" were horrible teams for a painfully long time. Pits, 5 years with no play-offs. LA had 6 years of no playoffs. Chicago 9 years of being bad.

There's absolutely no proof that a "rebuild" works. Teams should always be constantly trying to improve through managing assets and getting good returns on investments; Whether it's FA, draft, trades.

For every team that has "rebuilt successfully" there's a minimum 5 years of trash, an average year of 7 years of crap, and as much as 10 years of nothing.

And that is the successful ones.

For each successful one, there is one that never came out of it for anything significant. The Canes, Florida, Coyotes, Oilers, etc

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Anti rebuilders look at the fact that teams like Chicago and Pitsburg that had "successful rebuilds" were horrible teams for a painfully long time. Pits, 5 years with no play-offs. LA had 6 years of no playoffs. Chicago 9 years of being bad.

There's absolutely no proof that a "rebuild" works. Teams should always be constantly trying to improve through managing assets and getting good returns on investments; Whether it's FA, draft, trades.

For every team that has "rebuilt successfully" there's a minimum 5 years of trash, an average year of 7 years of crap, and as much as 10 years of nothing.

And that is the successful ones.

For each successful one, there is one that never came out of it for anything significant. The Canes, Florida, Coyotes, Oilers, etc

bang on. We should trade our 5th overall for decent 2C.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
bang on. We should trade our 5th overall for decent 2C.

I don't agree with that. That was what Sutter was supposed to be, Horvat is close to, and we need youth for the future.

----

As for Brouwer, if an FA wants to come play for your team and give you a discount, sure, free asset.

At the same time, I see it that Benning needs to acquire 2-4 player through FA to make up for the lack of return on Vrbata, Hamhuis.. weak ones on Garrison, Lack, etc.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Again, makes total sense if we ship Hansen for late 1st, or package including a 2nd round pick, and then pick up Brouwer.

That's probably the best case scenario.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Again, makes total sense if we ship Hansen for late 1st, or package including a 2nd round pick, and then pick up Brouwer.

As much as I love Hansen and think he's the type of player you have in your middle six on a winning team, this would be a good move for sure.

Gaining a 1st without effecting the overall talent level of team? :naughty:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
As much as I love Hansen and think he's the type of player you have in your middle six on a winning team, this would be a good move for sure.

Gaining a 1st without effecting the overall talent level of team? :naughty:

Yeah, but he's UFA after next year and would be in line for a raise anyways, and is probably at his highest value right now. And we need to start gaining assets.

The whole not trading Vrbata and Hamhuis is absolutely ****ing us.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

My hope is that at some point the Canucks had an offer of a 2nd and a 4th for Hansen which would semi-justify the Gudbranson deal.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
----

As for Brouwer, if an FA wants to come play for your team and give you a discount, sure, free asset.

Brouwer indicates he'd be open to lay for the Canucks because he thinks they have the cap space to pay him top dollar.

That's different than "he'd take a discount to play for a non-playoff team".

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
How likely are we to see Miller and Lucic on the same team?

two of Benning's boys, yet hate each other, no? (or Miller hates ML anyway..)

more i think of it the less i like any of these options ...maybe Ericsson on a Vrbata-like deal (but he will basically just replace him, which gets us no farther...)

Lucic, Brouwer, Ladd ... will likely get one of those guys for too much money and term, and we will still be last in the league in GF

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
^

Reports that Benning already tried to trade for Lucic last summer but was beat out by the Kings (thank god) so I doubt he sees the Miller thing as a problem.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Benning has options if he is adding size. Hanzal and Bickell are apparently on the trading block. Bickell seems to have negative value, so Higgins or Burrows might be involved or Chicago might add a pick?

Hanzal might not want to come here but he plays center and could form the basis of a thumping big line. Dude is a deterrent.

Lucic is an expensive option. He is slow and not much of an upgrade on Bickell.

Brouwer could play on the Sedin line and Eriksson is known fit. Both would be nice for flexibility if Sedins continue to be the first line. Or, just sign Okposo.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Benning has options if he is adding size. Hanzal and Bickell are apparently on the trading block. Bickell seems to have negative value, so Higgins or Burrows might be involved or Chicago might add a pick?

Hanzal might not want to come here but he plays center and could form the basis of a thumping big line. Dude is a deterrent.

Lucic is an expensive option. He is slow and not much of an upgrade on Bickell.

Brouwer could play on the Sedin line and Eriksson is known fit. Both would be nice for flexibility if Sedins continue to be the first line. Or, just sign Okposo.

Lol he is a huge upgrade on Bickell. Lucic will probably be a 50 point guy the next couple years, after that who knows. But to say he isn't much of an upgrade on Bickell is downright hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->