Trouble at ESPN Regarding Racial Relations

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ESPN dumps Rachel Nichols from NBA Finals sideline reporter duties over comments about fellow host Maria Taylor

ESPN has sidelined Rachel Nichols for the NBA Finals.

The World Wide Leader announced its broadcast lineup for the Finals — without Nichols in her usual role as sideline reporter — less than nine hours before the Bucks and Suns play Game 1 in Phoenix Tuesday night.

Nichols will be replaced by Malika Andrews, but will continue to host “The Jump” on-site during the week.

“We believe this is best decision for all concerned in order to keep the focus on the NBA Finals. Rachel will continue to host The Jump,” ESPN said in a statement.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Disney compounded the issue by replacing Giangreco with Jim Rose ( who used to be married to Burton ) who to be kind should NOT be working in the #3 market.

What is issue with Rose? He has always been well regarded by fans and co-workers

His coverage of sports especially Bears is far better then Giangreco

He has been at ABC 7 for longtime and though he and Burton divorced they both have still worked at same station so it clearly has not been problem for them (They have hosted various shows together and done Bud Billiken day parade together post divorce for longtime)

Also Cheryl Burton is one of the most popular media personalities in Chicago and has been face of ABC 7 for longtime.. Giangreco was an ass and almost always a joke

Janet Davies and ABC 7 parting ways was bigger reason for some potential loss of ratings , etc

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
One of the reasons i wish the NHL didn't partner with ESPN. The unnecessary racial commentary is going to be so obnoxious

To be fair it's mostly a thing with NBA fans. Have not heard much in the way of this kinda stuff with the NFL or MLB. I think some people like this stuff and find it entertaining.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Some of the headlines regarding this situation are ridiculous.

I saw one article today titled: "Rachel Nichols' bombshell racist rant against Maria Taylor"

Then you read her actual comments and it's like nothing. Based on that headline you'd think she'd went on a full Mel Gibson-esque tirade.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
While Nichols does have extensive background covering hockey (she was the Capitals best reporter from 96-04 for the Washington Post before joining ESPN), I don’t she would be a good fit for the broadcaster. It’s not good for the league for her to be a face of it in light of this. Plus it has been 17 years since she covered the league so she doesn’t have the relationships or background at this point to bring a lot of value as a reporter.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
While Nichols does have extensive background covering hockey (she was the Capitals best reporter from 96-04 for the Washington Post before joining ESPN), I don’t she would be a good fit for the broadcaster. It’s not good for the league for her to be a face of it in light of this. Plus it has been 17 years since she covered the league so she doesn’t have the relationships or background at this point to bring a lot of value as a reporter.

I don't disagree I just feel like ESPN is going to do it because her days are numbered covering the NBA. Especially with the Jimmy Butler rumours. Maybe MLB.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don't disagree I just feel like ESPN is going to do it because her days are numbered covering the NBA. Especially with the Jimmy Butler rumours. Maybe MLB.
Who cares if 2 adults potentially hooked up in the bubble? She is under contract Taylor is up soon and will leave

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Employers might care. She's also married. It's just not something they might want to bring attention to.
I mean the players are used to flying in models and outside work. They made fun of a player going to get wings at a strip club. There were adults locked into Disney world I am sure tons of relations happened.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
She was offered a hefty raise to $5 mill and countered with something closer to SAS money. Michelle Beadle was last making $5 mill at ESPN and she co-hosted a more general sports talk show rather than just pre game basketball.

where would that have put her in the stratosphere of on air talent in sports media?
It’s called negotiation. People do it all the time. You generally don’t accept their first offer, nor do they accept yours.

ESPN didn’t like this negotiation and made it public, and this leak may well be retaliation for that.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Not going into any rumors, her days at ESPN are numbered. They will bury her (and even putting her in NHL isn’t burying her) until she quits or her contract is down to the point where ESPN feels comfortable enough the water it and let her go.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s called negotiation. People do it all the time. You generally don’t accept their first offer, nor do they accept yours.

ESPN didn’t like this negotiation and made it public, and this leak may well be retaliation for that.
It might not have been their first offer. She is currently at $1 mill. We knew SAS and Greenberg top the list. Beadle who was last there a couple of years ago was at $5 mill.

we will see if she did overplay her hand and ends up with a contract less than that $5 mill offer.

her deal is reportedly up before game 7 of the finals. So would be interesting to see what happens if it does go the distance how ESPN handles it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad