Trouble at ESPN Regarding Racial Relations

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
A Disparaging Video Prompts Explosive Fallout Within ESPN

The gist of the article is that over on NBA Countdown, one of ESPN's biggest programs, several key analysts are unhappy that Rachel Nichols was still on there after complaining that a fellow host only got on the show because she was black, and more importantly, not being punished for complaining about the company overall to a representative for LeBron James via phone call last July during the NBA playoff bubble, which was recorded on ESPN's data servers.

Numerous people working at ESPN feel this confirms what they think about how race works at the company.

I know this is going to be a hot button issue, but... frankly, this sort of confirms how I feel about the internal workings of ESPN, especially with the fact that they use politics more as a ratings stunt than anything of meaning, which hasn't been a net positive for the network in terms of viewership or perception.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This is what she actually said, on being replaced by Maria Taylor:

“I just want them to go somewhere else — it’s in my contract, by the way; this job is in my contract in writing.”

“I wish Maria Taylor all the success in the world — she covers football, she covers basketball,” Nichols said in July 2020. “If you need to give her more things to do because you are feeling pressure about your crappy longtime record on diversity — which, by the way, I know personally from the female side of it — like, go for it. Just find it somewhere else. You are not going to find it from me or taking my thing away.”

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
This could be good for the NHL. If either Nichols or Taylor get bumped to NHL duty next season it would be a great look for the league to have a recognizable face covering the league.

Reactions: rfournier103

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
This could be good for the NHL. If either Nichols or Taylor get bumped to NHL duty next season it would be a great look for the league to have a recognizable face covering the league.

I believe Taylor's contract with ESPN is up in short order. I'll be curious to see if she re-ups

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
It's certainly wrong to put out there the idea that Taylor is only deserving because of race, but Nichols A) said these things in confidence and didn't know she was being recorded (and that that recording would be passed around the network), and B) she has a point in that she worked for a long time, really plugging away in what was definitely an "old boys club" at ESPN for decades, and to then have this big role she finally earned taken away from her must have been infuriating, especially if it was in her contract and she wasn't losing the gig based on her own performance.

I don't think you can fire her without getting sued, but I also don't blame Taylor for wanting to get out. This is really just a story of the chickens finally coming home to roost at ESPN, where it seems like decades of bad behavior and bad decision-making processes have them buried so deep that they can't dig themselves out at this point.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Rachel Nichols has covered hockey in her career and I remember her doing interviews with Ovechkin for ESPN. I think she would be good - controversy aside.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I believe Taylor's contract with ESPN is up in short order. I'll be curious to see if she re-ups

She reportedly demanded the same salary as Stephen A. Smith

ESPN’s Salary Issues Playing Huge Role in Wild Negotiations With Maria Taylor

According to New York Post sports media columnist Andrew Marchand, ESPN offered Taylor nearly $5 million per year, up from her reported salary of $1 million per year, during negotiations last year. Marchand says Taylor turned down the offer because she wanted to get into Stephen A. Smith–salary territory, which is $8 million a year.

Disney has major issues dealing with this not only at ESPN but also at ABC and some of their locally owned stations.

A few months ago this happened at WLS-TV in Chicago

ABC 7 sacks Mark Giangreco after 'ditzy, combative' comment about Cheryl Burton - Robert Feder

A recording of the 10 p.m. newscast that night showed Giangreco wrapping up a story about Canadian hockey star Spencer Jenkin painting his house while on roller skates and saying: “Gotta get him a show on DIY Network. We’ll call it ‘House Fix with Sticks,’ and Cheryl can play the ditzy, combative interior decorator. I got it all worked out.”

Colleagues said Burton had felt disrespected by Giangreco for years and took his “ditzy, combative” joke as another personal slight. Whether intended or not, directing those words at her evoked sexist and racist stereotypes about Black women, they said.
Burton, 58, who joined ABC 7 in 1992 and anchors the station’s 5 and 10 p.m. newscasts, did not respond to a request for comment.

Since that happened the ratings at ABC7 have dropped 25% and the station is no longer #1 in local news.

Disney compounded the issue by replacing Giangreco with Jim Rose ( who used to be married to Burton ) who to be kind should NOT be working in the #3 market.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Ok, but Rachel Nichols isn't wrong. She fought tooth and nail for a decade to get to where she is. Not unreasonable for her to be bitter about the job she clawed her way to being given to someone who didn't have to fight for it.

Especially is she's delusional enough to turn down $5m a year and demand Stephen A money.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ok, but Rachel Nichols isn't wrong. She fought tooth and nail for a decade to get to where she is. Not unreasonable for her to be bitter about the job she clawed her way to being given to someone who didn't have to fight for it.

Especially if she's delusional enough to turn down $5m a year and demand Stephen A money.

The reality is ESPN knows they won't lose any viewers if they got rid of both Nichols and Taylor.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The reality is ESPN knows they won't lose any viewers if they got rid of both Nichols and Taylor.

Which will be what happens after the NBA Finals now that this is out. The leak about Taylor’s contact negotiation was intended to pave her way out. I don’t see how Nichols can return now that this is public. My guess is Jalen Rose will be out for making public comments about Taylor’s contract situation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. Think majority of hosts are replaceable.

taylor, I think ESPN lets her walk given that her contract negotiations have become public. They made her a $5 mill offer and she declined asking for smith money. If she can get that from another network more power to her.

As for Nichols that may be a relationship that they can’t repair. Would t be surprised to see her let go after her contract expires.

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
A tv network that show sports shouldn't use politics at all.
I mean, all media is in some form political since current politics influences media due to social context. It's kinda unavoidable, especially since a lot of the biggest moments in sports history have political elements, like the Miracle on Ice.

It's a lot like colonialism; you kinda can't get rid of it because of how inherent it is.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The cynic in me thinks that Disney is behind the leaks as they have an NBA Final that on paper looks like a ratings dud.

I have worked behind the scenes for decades and working in Bristol, CT is to be kind is a strange environment only because it is Bristol which is halfway between Boston and New York.

The problem is when folks leave work they can't escape ESPN like they could if they were in Manhattan or LA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The cynic in me thinks that Disney is behind the leaks as they have an NBA Final that on paper looks like a ratings dud.

I have worked behind the scenes for decades and working in Bristol, CT is to be kind is a strange environment only because it is Bristol which is halfway between Boston and New York.

The problem is when folks leave work they can't escape ESPN like they could if they were in Manhattan or LA.
That sounds true.

I think ESPN is behind the leaks after Rose mentioned Taylor's contract status during a telecast earlier.

Sounds like negotiations began after the Pandemic started and ESPN reportedly offered $5 mill and Taylor asked for more. Maybe after that and given the cost cutting from ESPN in letting people go they had to re-jig their stance.

If any of Taylor, Nichols, Ponder, Rutledge, etc. had to be replaced, I think ESPN would find someone else to take over those roles. Same with the men as we have seen veterans/name recognition people let go. Aside from the handful of SAS, Greenberg, etc.

Seen that with SN and TSN in Canada. Millard left SN and was replaced by the cheaper Marek for the regular season non-HNIC panel. TSN let O'Toole go from Jay and Dan.

It's going to be whether Taylor lands with another network that gives her the type of deal that she wanted. Seems doubtful that she will get last years' $5 mill offer from another network now, much less SAS type money. Realistically, for just pride, I think she ends up with another network at the type of money that ESPN is currently offering now in the $2-$3 mill per range.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

ESPN / FOX sports etc will end up pushing either Giannis or Chris Paul so their ratings will be fine. Casuals are like sheep they thought Trey Young was the next Steph Curry ended up being a dud in the final game and probably will fall off the map next year back to medicority.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
ESPN management was behind the original leak to the Post about Taylor’s contract (having followed the NHL/ESPN stuff Marchand is very plugged in with ESPN management who are frequent sources of his). I think The NY Times stuff came was leaked and came out as a reaction to that story. Though it is The NY Times so they were able to go deeper.

Reactions: Hivemind

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The irony being if you look at Maria Taylor’s background and resume her rise at ESPN probably has more to do with her work and merit than a lot of people in Sports broadcasting. For instance, She isn’t the child of a prominent broadcaster or the daughter-in-law of Diane Sawyer :sarcasm:

Reactions: Sinistril

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The irony being if you look at Maria Taylor’s background and resume her rise at ESPN probably has more to do with her work and merit than a lot of people in Sports broadcasting. For instance, She isn’t the child of a prominent broadcaster or the daughter-in-law of Diane Sawyer :sarcasm:
She was offered a hefty raise to $5 mill and countered with something closer to SAS money. Michelle Beadle was last making $5 mill at ESPN and she co-hosted a more general sports talk show rather than just pre game basketball.

where would that have put her in the stratosphere of on air talent in sports media?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->