Trouble ahead? Spending cap MAY DROP for 2015-16

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I always wondered why, if the league and players agreed to an adjustable cap, why didn't they also do adjustable salaries?

in other words, if the cap goes down by 10%, so do contracts (I'm no economist, so that's a general, probably extremely simplified statement.)

that way teams aren't screwed by the cap, and players aren't signing long term 'reduced' salaries during a low cap year.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I always wondered why, if the league and players agreed to an adjustable cap, why didn't they also do adjustable salaries?

in other words, if the cap goes down by 10%, so do contracts (I'm no economist, so that's a general, probably extremely simplified statement.)

that way teams aren't screwed by the cap, and players aren't signing long term 'reduced' salaries during a low cap year.

Have you ever heard or escrow?

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
I don't want to turn this thread into a bash Rask's salary thread; however The Globe & Mail has an interesting article on goalies' salaries and Stanley Cup success.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...spending-big-on-most-goalies/article24058773/

"The question that always comes next is can you win the Stanley Cup with one of these cheap, unprovens in goal? Well, it’s been happening, even when they haven’t been given this many chances. Only six of the last 18 finalists had starters making more than $4-million."

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
I don't want to turn this thread into a bash Rask's salary thread; however The Globe & Mail has an interesting article on goalies' salaries and Stanley Cup success.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...spending-big-on-most-goalies/article24058773/

"The question that always comes next is can you win the Stanley Cup with one of these cheap, unprovens in goal? Well, it’s been happening, even when they haven’t been given this many chances. Only six of the last 18 finalists had starters making more than $4-million."

That's more a product of the top goalies are all young and still on an ELC or bridge deal.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
it's also a pretty piddly sample size given the variance of a finals. we only care about the cap era, and in that we just don't have enough winners to qualify much of anything.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Can the people saying this should mean trading Loui explain why? He's one of our best cap hits for his production. Does not compute.

Loui does all the little things extremely well. He just doesn't crash bodies doing it. He goes to the net and scores some ugly goals, but someone has to do it.

He's found his game this year, being healthier than last year. However, what line suits him best next year? He and Soda had great chemistry. Neither did as well when they were separated. And I can't see Soda re-signed given the cap, as much I like him.

IF they decide to trade Loui, and I'm not in agreement with that, but if they do, then I would look to Vancouver. Loui looked really good playing for Sweden on the top line at the Olympics and would be a great fit with both Sedins (Henrik was out for the Olympics IIRC).

If he stays, then try him at LW with Krejci and Connolly to start.

Oh and BTW, Loui has probably played 70% of his career in the NHL on the off-wing, so R or L doesn't really affect him much.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Trade kelly and sign soderberg for kellys cap (saves 1 mil)
Let Bart and McQuaid (sad yes I know) walk and let Trotman and Miller take over Saves you 2.7 mil)
Sign Glencross/Morrow/Havlat (some type of vet player) for 2.5 mil

Trade Krejci + Smith for help on defence = Get Jones or Ekholm
Trade Seidenberg for a 2nd rounder . Sign Odoya for 2 mil (saves another 2 mil

Marchand - Bergeron - Connoly
Lucic - Spooner - Pasta
Morrow - Soderberg - Erikson
Ferlin - Talbot - Randell

Chara-Hamilton
Jones- Miller
Oduya - Krug
*Trotman *Volchenkov

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Rask, Quick, Crawford, King have been the finalist lately, I'd say you need strong goalie to compete.

With that thinking we-d have to change goalie every year because if they were that good they'd get paid a lot after that season.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
Difference is, you take from where you a strongest and remove there. He should have traded Kelly and Bartowski. Boychuk probably would have got 5 here, and honestly his play would have deserved it.

Problem is is identifying who is earning thier contract and who isnt which is the toughest part for any GM.

At the time it was thought to be a strength.

They were assuming Seids coming back and rounding into pre injury form.

I think it looks worse with Chara, Miller, Dougie and McQuaid all missing time.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think the B's will have to move David Krejci. They can get Soderberg for likely half what Krejci costs and roll with Bergeron-Soda-Spooner-Talbot, with Koko on the short bus for injury issues. Figure they will dump Kelly too, as 3 million for a 4th line center is a luxury.

That should leave plenty of money for re-signings and upgrades in other areas.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hawks are going to be seriously regretting the Toews and Kane raises. They have 7 forwards and 3 defense men currently under contract and are already at 63 million. Crawford is also making 6 millon to ride the bench for Scott Darling.

some cashola being spent on goalies sitting on the bench

Anderson in Ottawa

Crawford as you mentioned

Howard in Detroit

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Realistically, they should get rid of Crawford at the end of the season and have Darling as starting goalie and keep Raanta as backup, best way to move money out from that team in my opinion, not that I care cos I'd rather have Raanta here but if they're smart thats what they should do. Else they might be losing Sharp/Seabrook etc, id say they'd rather keep those and lose Crawford.

6 million for another 5 years I believe, that ain`t gonna be easy for them

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Hawks are going to be seriously regretting the Toews and Kane raises. They have 7 forwards and 3 defense men currently under contract and are already at 63 million. Crawford is also making 6 millon to ride the bench for Scott Darling.

And ain't they looking at some serious cap-money locked away because they beat the cap this season? Seriously they are gonna suck next season as they can't add anything but AHL-scrubs to their roster.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Hawks have players they can move. Not sure what their prospect pipeline looks like but they will have to start bringing them up to fit the Toews and Kane salaries under the cap. I agree Crawford is likely gone-moving him clears a decent amount of space.

Bruins problems are that the contracts they most need to move might not find takers. I think one of Looch or Krejci might be on the trade market for cap relief in Boston (I know Mrejci has some type of NTC but does Looch?).

Would like to see them move Smith and Kelly and maybe Seids.

I think you are too rosey on the Hawks situation.

Sharp - 6 million until 2017-18 more. Gregory Campbell had more even strength goals than Sharp did this year.

Crawford - The line for the 30 year old Chris Osgood clone making a million less than Rask until 2020-21? I'm sure it will be long.

Bickell - 4 million for 28 points. You know who else had 28 points? Chris Kelly. Kelly is gone after coming season. Bickell isn't a UFA until 2017-2018.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think you are too rosey on the Hawks situation.

Sharp - 6 million until 2017-18 more. Gregory Campbell had more even strength goals than Sharp did this year.

Crawford - The line for the 30 year old Chris Osgood clone making a million less than Rask until 2020-21? I'm sure it will be long.

Bickell - 4 million for 28 points. You know who else had 28 points? Chris Kelly. Kelly is gone after coming season. Bickell isn't a UFA until 2017-2018.

Hawks are in hot water

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Let the mediocre years begin, sad to see really, but I guess in the long run it had to happen which is too bad because it didn't with a competent head office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad