Player Discussion: Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Totally agree. While not being wildly thrilled with the return I'm also not as disappointed as some......Repeatedly stated his value starts at TDL return is my basic expectation and could go higher. Well we got around that TDL value.......but at much better time when we were desperate for cap, this trade helped that. So I won't judge this one trade in a bubble, B/c it was a necessary step to create other movements/signings. I'm going to judge this summer and all our moves as a whole. When the summer is over I'll evaluate all Chevy trades/moves as a whole which is a more accurate way to judge them. IMO

I agree, to me this was step 1 of the summer and will withhold my judgement on the status of the team until everything else unfolds. We still make some more big moves.

There will be more pressure on the kids this year, do they come back as better players and can carry more of a load?

Reactions: ps241

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Towards the "boo-birds" on here:

Why exactly would we hate Trouba now? What exactly did he do that wasn't fairly done within the rights he as a player in this league owns?

Probably the part where he made a public spectacle by holding out and demanding a trade.

Reactions: thegr8one66

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea its a tough day today but life goes on. I agree with those who say lets judge this summer after its over.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I agree, to me this was step 1 of the summer and will withhold my judgement on the status of the team until everything else unfolds. We still make some more big moves.

There will be more pressure on the kids this year, do they come back as better players and can carry more of a load?

Agreed

Another way of looking at it is, what were we realistically going to get for Trouba?

1) Top pairing D in return? No chance in hell, anyone thinking this was delusional.

2) 2nd pairing D with term? Maybe if All the moons and stars lined up.

Well we got at worse, a decent bottom pairing D with potential to grow who is a RFA. Plus to help close that value gap between 2nd pairing D and bottom pairing D we got the 20th OA pick. I’m ok with the trade, it’s a reality in a cap world for good cap team. Now let’s see what the rest of our moves look like this summer. Plus let’s see how our counter parts handle their significant cap problems.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed

Another way of looking at it is, what were we realistically going to get for Trouba?

1) Top pairing D in return? No chance in hell, anyone thinking this was delusional.

2) 2nd pairing D with term? Maybe if All the moons and stars lined up.

Well we got at worse, a decent bottom pairing D with potential to grow who is a RFA. Plus to help close that value gap between 2nd pairing D and bottom pairing D we got the 20th OA pick. I’m ok with the trade, it’s a reality in a cap world for good cap team. Now let’s see what the rest of our moves look like this summer. Plus let’s see how our counter parts handle their significant cap problems.

On the plus side I now have a reason to watch the draft and have some beer this Friday:). Going to have to do some research as I have no idea who would be good value at pick 20.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Towards the "boo-birds" on here:

Why exactly would we hate Trouba now? What exactly did he do that wasn't fairly done within the rights he as a player in this league owns?

I'm not a boo bird, and I wouldn't boo him, but I'll say this: He sure didn't find a place in my heart holding out for a good chunk of a season, and he never seemed grateful one single time to have been drafted by Winnipeg. I definitely can't fault anyone for being bitter, even if Jacob did everything fairly and within his rights.

Also, this thing about "you can't fault him, he was just exercising his rights" is horse crap. There are a lot of lawyers who act only within the parameters that the law prescribes, but people hate them intensely. The same principle applies here.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
On the plus side I now have a reason to watch the draft and have some beer this Friday:). Going to have to do some research as I have no idea who would be good value at pick 20.

What has HFB Jets come when you and I are the voice of reason? ;)

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
**** Trouba, he's a little out of touch, entitled baby who thinks the market was what was keeping him from being a star. Maybe look in the mirror you ****ing carrot stick you have no personality, you're dumber than a bag of rocks, and you've alienated your fans at every opportunity ("but what about my sleazy ****in' fan-engagement app?"). Here's hoping his toxic, whiny personality was just the poison that was permeating the Jets room and that his curse has been lifted, transforming the Jets like Theodin in Return of the King, but also his trashy stink will hover over midtown like a cloud of the boring walking thumb he is, not to mention every other locker room whose door he darkens.

Ball sack could play, though.

FullSizeR_02.jpg

Reactions: irunthepeg

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Fair enough. I guess there is a case to make for booing. I just dislike the behavior in general unless something really nasty happened. I think in 9 of 10 cases it gives the player the extra little bit of motivation and more often than not it ends up hurting your success in that specific game.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What has HFB Jets come when you and I are the voice of reason? ;)

Haha, I have no idea. I'm just sick of being negative about the team. Last year wasn't enjoyable one and I attribute a bunch of it to being too down on the team. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and be positive about what we will be able to do this year.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Which he had every right to do so. I think everything points towards the fact that he played his cards with an open hand for the entire time this was going on.

An RFA status player has every right to publicly demand a trade? No, not really unless by “right”, you mean anything that’s not strictly prohibited or illegal.

His options were to sign with the Jets, sign an offer sheet or hold out. Publicly demanding a trade is urinating in the sink and quite frankly, fans should be annoyed at those antics, which really did impact his trade value.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
If that's truly his reasoning I don't even have any bad feelings towards him. He made the sacrifice for the last 7 years to be away from her and it will be within his right to be closer. Chevy f***ed up not trading him years ago then.

Reactions: Board Bard

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Haha, I have no idea. I'm just sick of being negative about the team. Last year wasn't enjoyable one and I attribute a bunch of it to being too down on the team. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and be positive about what we will be able to do this year.

Totally agree, I made a choice about a year ago to look at things more openly and be less judgmental regarding the team......not saying at times I don’t question PMO decisions....but rarely I have questioned management judgment. Since that I made that change my enjoyment of the site has increased significantly

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All Trouba did to us was want out - which he is entirely entitled to. He always played hard.

The poor return on him is not his fault.

I don't want to hold an appreciation day for him. I will never like him. But booing him only makes you look small. It doesn't hurt him in any way.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
If that's truly his reasoning I don't even have any bad feelings towards him. He made the sacrifice for the last 7 years to be away from her and it will be within his right to be closer. Chevy ****ed up not trading him years ago then.

He could’ve said that years ago then. What was all that stuff about wanting to play the right side?

Lots of Trouba apologists in here. Sure, he played hard, like any professional should.

At the end of the day he didn’t want to play for the Jets, made a spectacle about it and distracted from the team and lowered our bargaining power. So f*** him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Totally agree. While not being wildly thrilled with the return I'm also not as disappointed as some......Repeatedly stated his value starts at TDL return is my basic expectation and could go higher. Well we got around that TDL value.......but at much better time when we were desperate for cap, this trade helped that. So I won't judge this one trade in a bubble, B/c it was a necessary step to create other movements/signings. I'm going to judge this summer and all our moves as a whole. When the summer is over I'll evaluate all Chevy trades/moves as a whole which is a more accurate way to judge them. IMO

I expected something like rental value - plus just a little for the chance at signing him. Not up to full value by any means. Unfortunately, I think we got a little less than full rental value. We needed better than Pionk added to the first. We needed a conditional (something, anything) if he signs with them. Even if we had had to add to improve the return, that would have been better.

I don't see any potential for further moves this summer to drag it up to break even, much less a good summer. If there are any further trades, I can't see them going well. All the buzz is that Ehlers is the likely price. I can almost guarantee that return value will be as bad as this one. You don't get good returns selling players after 'off' seasons.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably the part where he made a public spectacle by holding out and demanding a trade.

That was within the rules too. If he had been given the trade he asked for at that time, there would have been no holdout.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Guaranteed Trouba gave Chevy a tiny list of teams to work with neutering his value.

Trouba counted down the days to get out of here, and everyone knows it. He's the second biggest douche in jets 2.0 since Kane.

He deserves to be boo'd (and he will).

Enjoy going back to a full rebuild, Trouba. Hope you like going back to the basement of the league that you finally crawled out of two years ago.

Reactions: thegr8one66

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
He could’ve said that years ago then. What was all that stuff about wanting to play the right side?

Lots of Trouba apologists in here. Sure, he played hard, like any professional should.

At the end of the day he didn’t want to play for the Jets, made a spectacle about it and distracted from the team and lowered our bargaining power. So **** him.

Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. We'll never know the full story. He didn't want to play for the Jets, which he doesn't have to want to. He got drafted by them, that's the choice he made playing pro hockey, in that you don't control who drafts you. He played almost the total amount of games until UFA and was up front with Cheveldayoff saying he's not staying here. Chevy f***ed up not getting rid of him as soon as those rumours got out.

Reactions: Board Bard and GJF

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
AFAIK her degree is in Osteopathy which doesn’t exist in Canada so she probably can’t continue her career at all if he stays in a Canadian city. I can’t imagine many people here would be doing anything differently if they were in the same position. IMO he should have been more open about this the last couple year. We basically knew it though the rumor mill, but I think if he’d just been open about it people would have been more receptive and understanding.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't get all the hate for Trouba here. It's not like he played poorly to tank his value. He gave the Jets a lot of good years. And he didn't pull a Tavares saying he was gunna stay only to walk as a UFA. Obviously he made it clear he wanted out years ago. The blames lies squarely on Chevy here. Hes had to have known for a while Trouba wanted out, and could've easily traded him years ago for a haul when his value was at its peak in the midst of RFA years. Instead he kept him on these short term deals and paid for it with this trade return.

Reactions: irunthepeg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad