Speculation: Trouba

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Trouba won't be with Winnipeg that's for sure . Winnipeg can't afford him. So Winnipeg will have to decide either trade him at the trade deadline and get the most value or lose him. But what you and I think his value is doesn't matter, if he gets traded I promise you this Winnipeg will get fleeced just because teams know their situation.

As much as you would like to discount Keith, he is older than trouba sure, but he can still play and he brings Stanley cups experience to a team. That's what makes him more of a impact player than trouba.

Why do we have to trade him at the deadline or lose him?
It's been posted about 15 times but just to clear it up again...
The Jets best option is to sign Trouba.
If they can't do that then the obvious time to trade him is before the summer draft.
IF they do trade him then I trust Chevy will get a god deal for the Jets (he's done very well in worse situations).
Hell he traded a locker room cancer who made it abundantly clear he didn't want to be with the Jets AND was injured for the season to the Sabres in a deal that worked out VERY well for the Jets.

Regardless Trouba has 1 year of RFA service left.
The trade would be best done prior to any contract signing.
If Chevy can find a good partner and allow them to speak to Trouba's agent they will have the opportunity to work out what a long term deal would be.
That is much more valuable then the Jets trading him after he signs a 1 year deal to get to UFA.
Hell if all we are getting is a 2nd rounder and some ham and eggers then screw it.
Keep him for 2019-2020 for another playoff run.

Reactions: Snowman

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Couldn't give a **** about his Cups. Same can be said about Chevy, who literally let Andrew Ladd, a former Cup winner, captain, and one of the team's top wingers at the time, walk for free. Didn't turn out so bad.

If you can somehow prove that Keith is better than Trouba at this present moment, please do that. I doubt it, but hey, who knows what those intangibles really mean.

Huh? Marko Dano and Logan Stanley aren't sure what you are talking about.
Chevy traded Ladd back to the Hawks (I know you know that) at the deadline.

What do you mean?

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Yea sure, we'll get fleeced just like we did when everyone knew we had to trade Kane.

Don't worry, if the Jets decide to trade Trouba in the summer they will get a fantastic return and certainly much, much better than Keith.

If you think Winnipeg is going to walk away with a gold mine from trouba your living in la la land.

EVANDER Kane had plenty of issues out their well known , trouba as good as he may be, if he isn't signed nobody is going to give Winnipeg much for him because in just a short simple few months he will be available to go after.

[mod]

Keith has proven to be a top defenseman and still is overall a better defenseman than trouba.

If you think that a player who has won 3 cups , been to 5 conference finals , winner of a Norris trophy, doesn't bring much to the table ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Surely you do not think a 1 for 1 trade of Trouba for Keith is a fair deal for the Jets? It is not 2010 anymore.

Winnipeg has to either make a decision to sign him or lose him, if you think some team is going to offer Winnipeg a boatload for a kid whom would be a unknown due to not being signed as well as in just a few short months he would be available and at no extra cost. So yeah Winnipeg won't come out of this deal with a plethora of assets and picks.

All you have to look at is the karlsson trade their is your answer, and he was traded before the season started which made him more valuable to the acquiring team then to evaluate a and resign him.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Seabrook has won cups too, and he's terrible, so...

Point is that Keith is on the downslope of his career, and Trouba has many prime years left. If the Jets can't sign Trouba they'll keep him for a playoff run this season and trade him in the off-season to the highest bidder. The highest bidder will come up with more than Keith and a prospect.

I wouldn't hold my breathe on that idea, the only way a team would even commit to a trade would be a sign and trade the assurance he was signed already.

Keith is still a much better defenseman, and remember the new CBA is right around the corner so to take Keith even if you get 2 years outta him and win a cup , Winnipeg could do a buyout .

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
I wouldn't hold my breathe on that idea, the only way a team would even commit to a trade would be a sign and trade the assurance he was signed already.

Keith is still a much better defenseman, and remember the new CBA is right around the corner so to take Keith even if you get 2 years outta him and win a cup , Winnipeg could do a buyout .

Keith is not better right now, and that contract is gonna be UGLY for a dman that's already 35 years old. Winnipeg gets bent over HARD

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
If you think Winnipeg is going to walk away with a gold mine from trouba your living in la la land.

EVANDER Kane had plenty of issues out their well known , trouba as good as he may be, if he isn't signed nobody is going to give Winnipeg much for him because in just a short simple few months he will be available to go after.

[mod]

Keith has proven to be a top defenseman and still is overall a better defenseman than trouba.

If you think that a player who has won 3 cups , been to 5 conference finals , winner of a Norris trophy, doesn't bring much to the table ...

You definitely don't like dealing in reality. You don't even understand that Trouba is a RFA not a UFA. No matter how much you fantasize over it no one is giving you a young, top pairing RHD for an aging defenseman on the downslope of his career.

You can whine about it all you want, but Jets fans know if we have to trade Trouba we will get a great return. Definitely more than an aging defenseman on his last leg.

No one cares about how many Cups he won 5 years ago. Now he plays defense for one of the worst teams in hockey. Quit living in the past, we don't care what he did, it's all about what he can do now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Let the Hawks keep him and try to buy him out themselves. Trouba is better. Jets keep him.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

I think you are right in this regard which makes all your Karlsson talk moot. Karlsson came right out and said he was going to finish his contract and then make his UFA decision. He expressly promised nothing to SJ or anyone else just to screw with the Sens. Trouba with a fair extension is worth more than Karlsson for a year and then who knows.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
I think you are right in this regard which makes all your Karlsson talk moot. Karlsson came right out and said he was going to finish his contract and then make his UFA decision. He expressly promised nothing to SJ or anyone else just to screw with the Sens. Trouba with a fair extension is worth more than Karlsson for a year and then who knows.

If Trouba wants out, it will be known before the draft that he won't sign longterm in Winnipeg. Overhardt will try to control the process and tie Chevy's hands, by negotiating a long term deal with one team, as if he was a UFA. It will be publicly known, so keeping Trouba as their own rental would be tough for the Jets. Similar to the Sens situation with Karlsson.

A rebuilding or mid level team won't give up good assets for a one year rental. So that leaves Trouba's team of choice or a contender looking for the final piece. Either way the return is going to be less than fantastic.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
If Trouba wants out, it will be known before the draft that he won't sign longterm in Winnipeg. Overhardt will try to control the process and tie Chevy's hands, by negotiating a long term deal with one team, as if he was a UFA. It will be publicly known, so keeping Trouba as their own rental would be tough for the Jets. Similar to the Sens situation with Karlsson.

A rebuilding or mid level team won't give up good assets for a one year rental. So that leaves Trouba's team of choice or a contender looking for the final piece. Either way the return is going to be less than fantastic.
You act like there wont be multiple teams interested. That's all that is needed. They just need one to give a fair price.

That's if we use your unfounded feelings about how this plays out. But thanks for expressing them.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
You act like there wont be multiple teams interested. That's all that is needed. They just need one to give a fair price.

That's if we use your unfounded feelings about how this plays out. But thanks for expressing them.
Isn't everything surrounding the Trouba situation about unfounded feelings, guesses, or speculation? There are 11 pages of it in this thread, plus a number of other threads and it's not going to stop until he signs longterm in Winnipeg or somewhere else. Can we consider that fact?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

[mod]

If Keith is so elite how come the Hawks are the worst team in the league? [mod]

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Clearly your not looking at the overall picture and your so blinded by stupidity.

If you think that a player who has won 3 cups , been to 5 conference finals , winner of a Norris trophy, doesn't bring much to the table your just ignorant to the reality of hockey.

By saying “nobody is going to give Winnipeg much for him” you’re admitting that your proposal from the Hawks would be just that, NOT MUCH.

Hey, I like Keith and think he can still be a solid contributor on a contender, but no way in hell am I gifting a #1 defenseman to a division rival for him. It’s just not happening no matter how many different ways you angle your argument.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Isn't everything surrounding the Trouba situation about unfounded feelings, guesses, or speculation? There are 11 pages of it in this thread, plus a number of other threads and it's not going to stop until he signs longterm in Winnipeg or somewhere else. Can we consider that fact?
Yes we can agree that Trouba’s feelings of where he will or will not sign are unknown. That was my point. But even if we went with your feelings, the demand he will create will give a decent if not equatable return.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

[mod]

Trouba is an RFA still, so teams will have to wait more then a "short simple few months"

Evander Kane's issues in WPG were more detrimental than Trouba's contract situation and he played a less coveted position and WPG still managed to get a haul for him (+ Bogosian who at the time was an over paid bandaid)

Keith was an exceptional Dman and whilst he might still be good, he will be 36 next summer with 4 more years to boot. Doubt Chevy moves Trouba for a Dman that is over 10 years older. If Keith is all that you make him out to be why is Chicago where they are right now? The Jets don't lack leadership or "intangibles," and don't think are willing to take that great of a downgrade in age/skill for Trouba

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Winnipeg has to either make a decision to sign him or lose him, if you think some team is going to offer Winnipeg a boatload for a kid whom would be a unknown due to not being signed as well as in just a few short months he would be available and at no extra cost. So yeah Winnipeg won't come out of this deal with a plethora of assets and picks.

All you have to look at is the karlsson trade their is your answer, and he was traded before the season started which made him more valuable to the acquiring team then to evaluate a and resign him.

REALLY?

Myself and a few others have corrected you multiple times about Trouba's contract status.
If Chevy trades him I would bet it would be before the draft and before he's forces his arbitration hearing.
i.e. Trouba won't be signed yet and the acquiring team will have an opportunity to work out a long term deal themselves.

There will be multiple teams that can bid for his services.
Only some of them may fit the bill from Trouba's stand point but we only need a couple of them to be involved to create the demand we need.

I have a lot more faith in Chevy's ability to make the best of the situation if he can't sign Trouba.
A heck of a lot more faith in that then any HF post about it. Your "take it or leave it" offer is definitely a "leave it"!

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
As a Sabres fan I would do something around

Scandella
Guhle or Borgen (Borgen is a RHD)
Our 2020 1st Round Draft Pick
Plus a lower level forward prospect, or 2021 2nd Round Pick.

Dahlin-Trouba
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Beaulieu-Nelson

Only thing is expansion would kick our a$$

Maybe I’m missing something but that seems woefully insufficient for the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad