Proposal: Trouba+Roslovic for Matheson+Borgstrom

Which side wins?

• Total voters

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
To me, Florida and Winnipeg seem like good trade partners.

Winnipeg gets an ELC top 6 C, and Matheson, who doesn't have the boom potential that Trouba's skillset gives him, but is a very good defenceman on a great deal. Slight downgrade on defence, slight upgrade in the top 6.

Florida, who has one of the best 1-2C combos in the league, can sell from a point of strength, and still get a very good, very cheap C who is likely slotted as a lower end #2. Not the same ceiling as Borg, but still a very valuable player. They also upgrade on Matheson to a more explosive player in Trouba. Trouba has strong 5v5 numbers, and I think he would thrive with some PP time. Ekblad would have more opportunity to range, like he used to do in junior.

Thoughts?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Change Mathesons name to Ekblad and then it will be a little more fair.

Jets aren’t trading downwards from a 1st Pair do everything Defensemen to a poor mans older version of himself(obviously there game isn’t the same but Trouba is pretty much better all around)... Also at this point is there even a gap in talent between Roslovic and Borgstrom(if there is than is it enough to make the laughter of Trouba for Matheson stop?)...

Reactions: AllTimeGreat

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

That doesn't add up - then you are adding 7 million in salary. Part of the beauty of this is that it opens up salary for Laine and Wheeler. Also, the gap between Borg and Roslo would be a lot larger than Trouba and Ekblad, so I don't think Florida bites.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
That doesn't add up - then you are adding 7 million in salary. Part of the beauty of this is that it opens up salary for Laine and Wheeler. Also, the gap between Borg and Roslo would be a lot larger than Trouba and Ekblad, so I don't think Florida bites.
What gives you the idea that Borgström is better than Roslovic? Not to mention significantly better?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Jets can still sign them, Myers cap clears out next season and so does Troubas(so worst case scenario we are able to move Troubas RFA rights for a early to mid round pick).

This offer is highway robbery here... Jets might as well trade Trouba to get Thorburn back if they’re main objective is to save cap space(just in case you think it’s not sarcasm, I’ll give you a hint, it most definitely is sarcasm).

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think Winnipeg wins this easily. They get a young top 4d with upside still on a nice contract and I'm very high on Borgstrom's ability.

Reactions: Laus723

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
You haven't watch roslovic at all have you.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Proposed by a Leaf fan as a good deal for the Jets... I guess it would be from a Leafs fans' point of view as it significantly weakens the Jets.:dunno:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Jets aren’t trading downwards from a 1st Pair do everything Defensemen to a poor mans older version of himself(obviously there game isn’t the same but Trouba is pretty much better all around)... Also at this point is there even a gap in talent between Roslovic and Borgstrom(if there is than is it enough to make the laughter of Trouba for Matheson stop?)...

Would probably prefer to keep Matheson over Ekblad tbh. So yeah, it does make it a bit more fair from a Florida perspective. :)

Reactions: Critical91

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
To me, Florida and Winnipeg seem like good trade partners.

Winnipeg gets an ELC top 6 C, and Matheson, who doesn't have the boom potential that Trouba's skillset gives him, but is a very good defenceman on a great deal. Slight downgrade on defence, slight upgrade in the top 6.

Florida, who has one of the best 1-2C combos in the league, can sell from a point of strength, and still get a very good, very cheap C who is likely slotted as a lower end #2. Not the same ceiling as Borg, but still a very valuable player. They also upgrade on Matheson to a more explosive player in Trouba. Trouba has strong 5v5 numbers, and I think he would thrive with some PP time. Ekblad would have more opportunity to range, like he used to do in junior.

Thoughts?
must be a jets fan ...Roslovic is trash.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I've seen them both play a decent amount in the NCHC. Borgstrom was far better than Roslovic was.
And yet when Borgström starts playing this season he'll be just a couple of months older than Roslovic was when he became a full time NHL player. There is no doubt that Borgström was better at the NCAA level, but Roslovic is now two seasons removed from his NCAA career, while being roughly 5 months older than Borgström.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Florida doesn't make this trade.

I'd stop expecting 100% value for Trouba, he's not going to bring that.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
And yet when Borgström starts playing this season he'll be just a couple of months older than Roslovic was when he became a full time NHL player. There is no doubt that Borgström was better at the NCAA level, but Roslovic is now two seasons removed from his NCAA career, while being roughly 5 months older than Borgström.
You're acting like Borgstrom wasn't good enough to leave last year. He was. People were shocked he went back. But he was on a defending champion and Roslovic was on a crappy team.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You're acting like Borgstrom wasn't good enough to leave last year. He was. People were shocked he went back. But he was on a defending champion and Roslovic was on a crappy team.
I'm saying that Borgström has to do really well this upcoming season to be at the same level Roslovic was last season, despite being older than Roslovic was. I'm comparing them at the same age. Borgström was older throughout his entire NCAA career than Roslovic was when he played his last NCAA game.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I've seen them both play a decent amount in the NCHC. Borgstrom was far better than Roslovic was.

Maybe cuz they are at same age and Borgstrom played collage hockey when he was older then Roslo, kinda hard to compare them
When Borgstrom came to collage, Jack left for AHL/NHL.

Reactions: Snowman

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Trouba is better than Matheson and Roslovic is at worst equal to Borgstrom. What am I missing here

Reactions: Snowman

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Where did I say good deal for the Jets?

I think the value is fair once contracts are taken into account.
You're right, you didn't say that. You just said good trading partners. That's where I got the "good" from. Sorry about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad