Confirmed with Link: Trouba Requests Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would not be in favor of a Larkin for Trouba swap. I'd rather have Larkin, personally.

Only young Michigander I am swapping Larkin for is Werenski.

I meant DeKeyser. I honestly don't see Holland trading him. I have a hard time believing Holland is actually offering his boy Danny for a player that's disrupting his current team.

Look at the check boxes of loyalty. Wings product? Check. Michigan? Check. Wants to be in organization? Check. Signed to long-term deal? Check.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Amazing to me that both the Lindholm and Trouba situations have been dragged out this long. Not like both those team couldn't use help either. Even if WPG stays patient and Trouba caves, is that what they want? A player that doesn't really want to play for them, who is just giving up because of money? Is that the path towards success for them?

Well, we did have Fedorov for quite a while.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Dreger also said in the same article that Holland tried everything excluding Larkin, and Winnipeg had little to no interest.

Does that kick in any of the spokes on the 'Holland never tries to make a trade' bike?

I really think we are looking at another Drouin-like situation, and I think eventually Trouba caves because no one is going to offer Winnipeg what they want.

Well, yeah. He doesn't have another option and won't until his next contract lapses and he can demand arbitration.

The only real leverage he has is how much Winnipeg actually wants to win this year. The more it is, the more he has. If the GM thinks he can squeeze another year or two of non-playoffs out of the owners before he gets canned, then he can spin Trouba's stance as just some punk being greedy, Trouba gets blamed in town for his behavior, and he either goes overseas for a year or two or he has to show up and play.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I meant DeKeyser. I honestly don't see Holland trading him. I have a hard time believing Holland is actually offering his boy Danny for a player that's disrupting his current team.

Look at the check boxes of loyalty. Wings product? Check. Michigan? Check. Wants to be in organization? Check. Signed to long-term deal? Check.

I am with you Bench. There is no way in hell that Holland will trade DDK for a marginal upgrade. Improving our defense through trades will only work if it doesn't cost us one of our better defensemen.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Does that kick in any of the spokes on the 'Holland never tries to make a trade' bike?

Perhaps, but it also brings up new questions.

Like, after 5+ years of his 'rebuild on the fly', how has Holland managed to amass ONE asset teams are actually interested in?

and

Why are those around here who so smugly insist upon this fact (that Larkin is it), also want Holland to stay the course he's been on? Are we taking the Toronto route back to the Cup? See you guys at the parade in 2040! :help:

I am with you Bench. There is no way in hell that Holland will trade DDK for a marginal upgrade. Improving our defense through trades will only work if it doesn't cost us one of our better defensemen.

Lindholm is a marginal upgrade on DK like winning the lottery is a marginal upgrade to winning bingo. That said, I don't believe Holland has the ability or willingness to do anything that bold.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I do like to see that he is trying to make trades. Had serious questions about how active he was in that regard.

But it draws other concerns. For 3-4 years on here folks have trotted out the line "it's ok that we have neglected drafting defense, we can just stockpile forwards, and then trade forwards for defenseman later on".

Now here we are, needing a defenseman, and all we are hearing is how teams only want Larkin, and nothing else. So that plan was pretty lousy, wasn't it?

I don't blame him for not having better assets to make these trades based on where we draft, or it is at least somewhat understandable... but then the logical conclusion to draw from that, is that at some time here soon we should draft higher to get more coveted assets. Unless we can find another Larkin or two. Which isn't impossible, but seems very unlikely in the 14-18 range. We were fortunate to do it once.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I'm not sure teams are all that interested in Dekeyser with the contract he just signed, and I'm not really interested in a defenseman for defenseman swap anyways.

We need to keep what we have but add to it. Can't afford to trade Dekeyser or Green (unless we are trying to go the top 5-10 pick route). Need to get someone to push at one down to the middle pair. Ideally we get two guys to push both down the middle pair.... but that is getting ahead of ourselves.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Perhaps, but it also brings up new questions.

Like, after 5+ years of his 'rebuild on the fly', how has Holland managed to amass ONE asset teams are actually interested in?

and

Why are those around here who so smugly insist upon this fact (that Larkin is it), also want Holland to stay the course he's been on? Are we taking the Toronto route back to the Cup? See you guys at the parade in 2040! :help:

Lindholm is a marginal upgrade on DK like winning the lottery is a marginal upgrade to winning bingo. That said, I don't believe Holland has the ability or willingness to do anything that bold.

Why are we talking about Lindholm in a thread about Trouba? Lindholm is obviously a significant upgrade over DDK, which is why the Ducks aren't going to move him.

Like I said, Holland isn't going to trade DDK to upgrade our defense.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Why are we talking about Lindholm in a thread about Trouba? Lindholm is obviously a significant upgrade over DDK, which is why the Ducks aren't going to move him.

Like I said, Holland isn't going to trade DDK to upgrade our defense.

My mistake, thought the comment you replied to was referring to Lindholm, not Trouba. Gap's not nearly the same but Trouba is a pretty big upgrade over DK nonetheless.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
We need to keep what we have but add to it. Can't afford to trade Dekeyser or Green (unless we are trying to go the top 5-10 pick route). Need to get someone to push at one down to the middle pair. Ideally we get two guys to push both down the middle pair.... but that is getting ahead of ourselves.

Ideally DK stays with the team. Besides, team has been rolling along nicely for past couple. No need for a huge shake up. But you know there are always people who think current crop is only a stop gap and they wouldnt mind wasting a season or two for acquiring more elite potentials. :sarcasm:

Anyways I think we are totally forgetting about Kronwall. Sounds like he's come back is certain this season. Dont know how he will perform but he's one of our best D man and he will help out on the left side.

DK-Green
Kronwall-March
Ericsson-Sproul

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My mistake, thought the comment you replied to was referring to Lindholm, not Trouba. Gap's not nearly the same but Trouba is a pretty big upgrade over DK nonetheless.

I think Trouba has the potential to be a meaningful upgrade, but I am in the camp that says he isn't yet there. Like Frk It said, I want to acquire someone who pushes DDK down to the second pair where he should be playing. Swapping out DDK for a player that is 10-15% better doesn't put too much wind in my sails. It still leaves us without a bona fide number one and the exact same supporting cast underneath.
I will give you that Trouba has much more upside than DDK at this point.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think Trouba has the potential to be a meaningful upgrade, but I am in the camp that says he isn't yet there. Like Frk It said, I want to acquire someone who pushes DDK down to the second pair where he should be playing. Swapping out DDK for a player that is 10-15% better doesn't put too much wind in my sails. It still leaves us without a bona fide number one and the exact same supporting cast underneath.
I will give you that Trouba has much more upside than DDK at this point.

Well if you wait until he's actually a #1 then the price jacks up. Especially since he'll likely be under some contract by then. If people think we can't afford him now...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Well if you wait until he's actually a #1 then the price jacks up. Especially since he'll likely be under some contract by then. If people think we can't afford him now...

Well you watch him more than most do. Do you think he will be one of the top 15 defensemen in the league in his prime?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Well you watch him more than most do. Do you think he will be one of the top 15 defensemen in the league in his prime?

Impossible to say really, although I think 15 is an arbitrarily high number since we don't currently have anyone in the top 45 at least. He is very young, and already capable of eating tons of minutes against top competition. He would be our best dman already by a decent margin, Green's offense is the only aspect of any of our current D that is better than Trouba. And even then Trouba has great assets like skating and a powerful shot that will hopefully help bring his offensive game along. So in 5 years (his prime), I see him as miles ahead of any D in this organization currently.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I am not sure Winnipeg would be all that jazzed about Danny Boy's contract to be honest. They would probably still want AA or Mantha anyway even if DK was on the table.

I mean I guess if you're Winnipeg you know he is stuck there until the end of it. But you probably aren't happy about the fact he is overpaid on that deal.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I am not sure Winnipeg would be all that jazzed about Danny Boy's contract to be honest. They would probably still want AA or Mantha anyway even if DK was on the table.

That's the point. Look at how highly Holland valued DeKeyser. Now he's going to flip him for a shinier toy in year one? That's not Ken's style.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's the point. Look at how highly Holland valued DeKeyser. Now he's going to flip him for a shinier toy in year one? That's not Ken's style.

I mean I don't think it is because Kenny wouldn't flip him for Trouba though. While that might not be his MO, that isn't the biggest problem here. It is that Winnipeg probably wants a better player back. Even if DK suits their top 4 d-man, he is older than they have said they want and they would still want more coming from us. At that point the package gets to be too much. DK plus one of the big three prospect/players Mantha/Svechnikov/Athanasiou. I would agree if that is why he cannot pull the trigger.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I know that as an RFA - Trouba needs to be secured under contract by Dec to be eligible to play this season.

Question to the Rules Lawyers out there:

1) Can Trouba sign a 1-year contract to get him to UFA next season?

2) If Trouba doesn't reach an agreement with WPG and is ineligible for this season, is he still an RFA with WPG next season? Or does that allow him to walk?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I know that as an RFA - Trouba needs to be secured under contract by Dec to be eligible to play this season.

Question to the Rules Lawyers out there:

1) Can Trouba sign a 1-year contract to get him to UFA next season?

2) If Trouba doesn't reach an agreement with WPG and is ineligible for this season, is he still an RFA with WPG next season? Or does that allow him to walk?

1. No. The Jets control his rights until he is over 27 or has played a minimum seven years in the league.

2. He'll still be a RFA with the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad