Trouba Requests Trade - Part VI: To Russia For Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What team will offersheet him for that, they would give up significant value in draft picks and he could just go arbitration to free agency on them as well?

Many teams would do that. Not sure what the compensation would be, but it would be minor. Any team that did that would have a dang good idea that they'd be able to re-sign him.

The list of teams that would do that would be mighty long. Chances of the Jets giving him up for whatever the compensation is -- zero.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Something I've been wondering about since I saw it bandied around on the main boards. What happens if Trouba gets someone to do up an offer sheet for say 1 yr at 5 mill?

Jets have to sign him -- can't let him go. But then he's yr to yr with arbitration rights. Doesn't that work to his advantage & get him where he wants to go??

No gm would do that to Chevy. It's obvious that Chevy would sign the deal, so they wouldn't do it with a hope of landing Trouba. And they wouldn't do it just to put Chevy in a bind because Chevy is fighting against an RFA for the benefit of all gm's. No gm wants to see an RFA get the equivalent of UFA rights.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I still don't see how the numbers ever work out in Trouba's favor - especially if the Jets are (or were) actually offering $5.5M x 6.

If he actually misses a year, he's out millions - not just the $5.5M this year, but over his entire career. He adds a year to get to UFA, and he lowers his next contract value. Say it's a $3M x 2 year bridge starting in 2017-18. He's cost himself $10.5M just over the next 3 years, plus one less year of UFA (probably worth another $8M-$10M).

His only hope is to force a trade - and if Chevy's not willing to deal him, then he has to sign here before December 1. Otherwise he's shooting himself in the foot with a bazooka.

The market value for Trouba is certainly in the neighbourhood of $5.5M x 6, but the official story here is that Chevy hasn't been allowed to even make an offer.

I've made this point before, but the reality here is if he misses the year, the only loser is Trouba. Jets will end up with another year of Trouba's services & the value of a 26 year old Trouba will certainly be greater than him at 22.

His hope since day 1 has been to force a trade, likely to a team of his choosing.

Both Overhardt and Chevy probably know that other teams' best trade offers will come when there's a deadline looming, if they want Trouba for the balance of the season. Chevy's in the driver's seat, and Overhardt knows it. This is not a situation where they are just facing each other in a contract negotiation, they need at least one and maybe even two NHL teams to both offer up good trade value and agree to contract terms for Trouba. I really don't think this will end with Trouba signing with the Jets before a trade is arranged, but I could be wrong. It depends on whether Chevy is really going to play hardball on principle.

I agree that Chevy is in the drivers seat. Trouba's comments prior to Overhardt shutting him up earlier in the month was that he expected to play NHL hockey this season inferring that this is a priority for him, not playing overseas. They've played their little game with hope that they may get their way, but it's certainly not looking good for the Trouba camp at the moment.

Agreed. I've stated this many times already, everything up till now and until the 11th hour is not really even serious offers, certainly not "best offers". The 11th hour will bring fewer offers, but of higher quality "best offer" types. I fully expect Trouba to be traded before Dec 1st without a contract with the Jets, but with a verbal agreement with some other club.

I don't think this is a plausible outcome. Trading Trouba without a signed contract will net the worst return. Chevy has held out this long & will gain big points with his fellow GM's & ownership around the league by making him sit out the season should Trouba not put pen to paper & sign. As mentioned earlier in the long term the Jets lose nothing as they gain another year of Trouba if he doesn't play this season. Trade his rights at the deadline to a team in tank mode & a sizeable return will come our way.

Surprised at that assessment Whileee. I assume you're banking on a trade happening then? I'm definitely not of that leaning, though it all depends on who is out there that really really wants him on their team.

For a trade to happen, have to have 2 or more teams with that strong desire at the last minute. Can't see it happening -- going to take a lot of last minute rangling, but I see him signing a contract (just not sure if Chevy will be able to force the long-term on him -- because that is the ideal scenario for us)

I'm certain there are more than two teams with strong interest. The problem is likely Trouba doesn't want to go there.

The worst thing is, there's a good possibility that Trouba will only go to a certain team and is not budging. It's certainly not about usage, as the team with the worst RHD depth in the league isn't a fit for him. This is very likely about the city - but not in terms of Winnipeg being a bad one, it's about some other city being the exact one he wants to go to.

Bang on. Chevy isn't about to let them dictate this.

Something I've been wondering about since I saw it bandied around on the main boards. What happens if Trouba gets someone to do up an offer sheet for say 1 yr at 5 mill?

Jets have to sign him -- can't let him go. But then he's yr to yr with arbitration rights. Doesn't that work to his advantage & get him where he wants to go??

These GM's talk to each other every day & offer sheets are very rare. I'm sure their community is in support of Chevy at this point & the last thing anyone is going to do is offer him a one year deal & further a players agenda. Ownership would not approve.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
No gm would do that to Chevy. It's obvious that Chevy would sign the deal, so they wouldn't do it with a hope of landing Trouba. And they wouldn't do it just to put Chevy in a bind because Chevy is fighting against an RFA for the benefit of all gm's. No gm wants to see an RFA get the equivalent of UFA rights.

That's as good an answer as any I suppose. Has to be unity on an issue like this among GMs. That plus the fact that any GM that did it would know they would be getting a giant black eye & have zero chance of success by doing it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Many teams would do that. Not sure what the compensation would be, but it would be minor. Any team that did that would have a dang good idea that they'd be able to re-sign him.

The list of teams that would do that would be mighty long. Chances of the Jets giving him up for whatever the compensation is -- zero.

A $5M offer sheet would cost a 1st and 3rd pick.

At this point, the cap hit would be considerably over $5M, so which teams could afford that?

Ottawa
Florida
Devils
Canes

I can't see any of those teams doing that, if only because they are cash-strapped. They have cap space for a reason.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
IMO Trouba will not lose a dime, they will structure a contract that pays him less this year and more the following years, in the end he makes the same amount of money.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It's funny but should he sign a long term contract with the Jets, the higher the value, the more difficult he will be to trade, so the longer he will be stuck here. Wonder if we could convince him to sign a $4.5M contract? He'd be very desirable to other teams at that level

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
IMO Trouba will not lose a dime, they will structure a contract that pays him less this year and more the following years, in the end he makes the same amount of money.

Yeah I see it as a Lindholm situation. His contract will be structured so that he gets back the money he lost by sitting out.

I think some Jets fans on the main board are really underrating Skjei from NYR, by the way. He helps with the expansion draft, he's a lefty that can slot into the lineup and banish Chiarot to the minors indefinitely, and he will likely improve as his career goes on. Also would probably be a bit cheaper on the contract side next year than Trouba would be.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's funny but should he sign a long term contract with the Jets, the higher the value, the more difficult he will be to trade, so the longer he will be stuck here. Wonder if we could convince him to sign a $4.5M contract? He'd be very desirable to other teams at that level

There was a fan from another team (can't remember which one) on the main board who proposed the scenario to solve everyone's problems.

Theory was if Trouba wants to dictate where he is going then he needs to take a hit on his contract value to make that happen.

That way all 3 parties win.

1) New team gets Trouba on a way below average contract
2) Trouba gets to go to one of his desired locations
3) Jets get great value in return because Trouba on a cheap (by comparison) contract is worth a lot. We could take back a D making 5 or 6 million since we were paying a big contract to Trouba anyways.

I think on a long term contract that would be in that 4 - 4.5 range. If it's a bridge deal then it should be 3 or less.

Not likely to happen but it does seem to solve multiple problems.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If it ends up in a bridge deal, I don't see it being over 3M AAV. Ceci and dumba are the comparables and if KO refuses to talk contract before the last minute before the deadline, I don't see Chevy doing anything other than laughing and putting a take it or leave it deal on the table.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Yeah I see it as a Lindholm situation. His contract will be structured so that he gets back the money he lost by sitting out.

I think some Jets fans on the main board are really underrating Skjei from NYR, by the way. He helps with the expansion draft, he's a lefty that can slot into the lineup and banish Chiarot to the minors indefinitely, and he will likely improve as his career goes on. Also would probably be a bit cheaper on the contract side next year than Trouba would be.

I didn't think Skjei was expansion draft exempt??

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

He is & indeed he is a lefty that can be inserted immediately. My question is does he indeed have top 4 potential or is he currently playing over his head (something which we've seen with quite a few prospects when they first crack into the NHL). I guess I don't know enough about Skjei to be convinced.

Its the second part of that deal that I have greater issue with. Miller is a really good top 6 winger, but if he isn't a top 6 C, I really don't think we need him. If we did this deal, we'd be able to go to a 7 + 3 + 1 for expansion, but Miller takes up one of those 7 F spots (so we still have to expose someone real good be it Dano or Armia or Lowry).

I'm still saying we'd be a lot better off going with two top 4 potential D prospects than 1 potential top 4 D + 1 forward. That's the biggest issue I have with that proposal.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He is & indeed he is a lefty that can be inserted immediately. My question is does he indeed have top 4 potential or is he currently playing over his head (something which we've seen with quite a few prospects when they first crack into the NHL). I guess I don't know enough about Skjei to be convinced.

Its the second part of that deal that I have greater issue with. Miller is a really good top 6 winger, but if he isn't a top 6 C, I really don't think we need him. If we did this deal, we'd be able to go to a 7 + 3 + 1 for expansion, but Miller takes up one of those 7 F spots (so we still have to expose someone real good be it Dano or Armia or Lowry).

I'm still saying we'd be a lot better off going with two top 4 potential D prospects than 1 potential top 4 D + 1 forward. That's the biggest issue I have with that proposal.

Maybe a 2012 - 14 LHD prospect who's in the NHL and another more recent pick. If both are liked by Jets scouts / management then it could be a good way to go.

I know BPA is very important at the draft but I hope at least one of our first 2 picks is a D-Man this summer.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Maybe a 2012 - 14 LHD prospect who's in the NHL and another more recent pick. If both are liked by Jets scouts / management then it could be a good way to go.

I know BPA is very important at the draft but I hope at least one of our first 2 picks is a D-Man this summer.

BPA only makes sense if you actually are willing to trade to address weaknesses.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
BPA only makes sense if you actually are willing to trade to address weaknesses.

Precisely why we need two decent D or D prospects back from this trade. If we trade away a top pairing D (Trouba) & we get only one potential top 4 D prospect back (ie, Skjei), we've made our biggest weakness a whole bunch weaker.

Sure we can try to address D at the draft, but unless they're a top 10, you're waiting years if ever for that D prospect to make it to the NHL far from having any impact. At the rate we're going with drafting D outside the first round (and Stanley in the first!), we'll be on par with Edmonton & a few other teams that have been searching for a D-man for ever.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Skeij is exempt, although he did play pro for the Hartford Wolf Pack in the 2014-2015 season, he did so on an Amateur Try Out deal. He didn't sign with the Rangers until the 2015-2016 season.

The biggest reasons he'd be considered in any deal would be he's exempt from the expansion draft.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think he's a 2nd pairing guy at his best in the league. I don't think he's got top pairing, game changing potential like Trouba does, but he's a good player to fit now and fits the timeline of when we expect this team to compete. We're not getting a Gostisbehere type in a 1 for 1 deal like Chevy (and many posters here) want.

The benefit of Miller is that he gives us 3 scoring lines when we're healthy. The "checking line" thing is a thing of the past right now. Even if Miller slots in as a 3rd line guy, you've got a solid top 9, and a guy who can play wing or C. He's worth an expansion slot, to me he's better than Dano, and probably amounts to a bit more than Lowry does.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hope the $560k hit to the pocketbook was worth it. Thanks for signing though: now we can look for a return for you, or we can look forward to having you help bolster the lineup for the next 3 years, minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna